PDA

View Full Version : cibie spotlamps

minimad
16th August 2006, 05:37 PM
i was wanting to know if anybody knows a car place where i can order cibie lamps and have them fitted at the same time phoned a couple of places in glasgow but dont seem to be to interested in doing the job for me,and bugger leaving my pride and joy in the hands of someone like that

AeroJonny
16th August 2006, 07:31 PM
Have you tried drivers? Might be a silly question...

redpoint rallying
16th August 2006, 10:36 PM
Hello from the Alps!
you may also need to have a set of bespoke lamp brackets made. I had a set made up for the rally car . depends on what size Cibie lamps you are thinking of.....

m

minimad
16th August 2006, 11:30 PM
im looking for the 7 inch super oscars 4of in the style of classic 2 up 2 down

redpoint rallying
18th August 2006, 06:26 PM
in my experience you will need to get a pair of good quality brackets made up. To stop them wobbling all the time they will need to be substantial..... not necessarily massive, but good quality. I had mine made from aluminium. mine were bolted directly to the bumper bolts which means you need to remove the front bumper to fit them. Its a straight forward job, If you fit the weight of lamps you intend to, just on the bonnet or anywhere else, it wont be strong enough. Finally, the brackets will 'poke' out between the bumper and the bonnet. To make sure the bonnet closes properly you will need to trim a wee bit of the 'lip' from the bumper. Sounds drastic but it isnt. I am zooming about the Alps in my 'S' for a month.......highly recommended......so cant help much more at the moment. I am back in 10 days so will be in a position to assist then if you need any more help.

Hope that helps for now

M

minimad
18th August 2006, 10:27 PM
thanks

redpoint rallying
29th August 2006, 05:38 AM
Im back home.....how you getting on with the lamps and brackets?

M

minimad
29th August 2006, 05:42 AM
NOT MUCH LUCK SO FAR:mad::)

stoney
29th August 2006, 05:51 AM
hay found this told u about them at the weekend light brackets (http://www.outmotoring.com/mini_cooper_driving_light_brackets.html)

minimad
29th August 2006, 06:00 AM
hi rob :)i prefer to see the brackets before i buy them,to see how far out they stick which will determine the size of lamps ill want:D

X30YES
29th August 2006, 07:22 AM
I dont think the brackets rob posted will suit Super Oscars...from memory they are about 5-6 inches deep, they do make a slim version ,or did years ago , I dont remember the version tho ..RR might know !!

redpoint rallying
30th August 2006, 04:14 AM
see http://www.essentialmini.co.uk/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59 where you will see photos of the the current 4 aux. lamp set up we use on the rally car. These are Ring lamps and are a slightly more modern version of Cibie Oscars. They are the same size - 7" overall diameter and 3.5" deep. They are currently mounted on standard Mini brackets and each lamp uses a 'lamp steady bar' fixed from the top of the lamp to the bonnet. Fine for a rally car but not what you want on a road car. You can get away without the steady bars on a road car if its for mainly cosmetic reasons but without the bars they will wobble in use.

The Cibie Super Oscars...the real big 'uns wont work with this bracket set up. Thats why I had bespoke aluminium brackets made up....not a cheap option but looks neat and tidy. I am sure you will need to have your brackets fabricated, especially if you want the " 2 up, 2 down" configuration. They will still wobble without the steady bars in all cases but like I say, if its purely cosmetic it will be ok.

I will try to get a photo of my brackets on here!

A word on PIAA lamps...very expensive as they are gas discharge lamps and anyway the " classic" Cibie style lamps I think suit the new Mini better as they did on the Classic Minis....I also have 4 lamps with old " Lucas " logo covers on them on the road going 's'. Looks quite good.

cheers

M

minimad
30th August 2006, 09:37 AM
yes id love to see pictures of your lamps to see what you mean,much apreciated

minimad
30th August 2006, 09:43 AM
how much roughly to have them made and by who?

redpoint rallying
31st August 2006, 12:58 AM
Ralloy made them to my spec. see http://www.ralloy.com/ £100 .......ish

M

Gismo
7th September 2006, 05:27 AM
I'm defo gonna have 4 spot lights, but, am leaning towards the non BMW route as they always rust 8)
I like the look of RR's but am not gonna attach them to the bonnet :eek:
Has anyone fabricated non rusty brackets that are attached to the bumper frame and exit between the bonnet bottom and the bumper top :question:
Can i wire the lamps into the existing main beam wiring or must i use the BMW loom and then get them switched on :)

X30YES
7th September 2006, 10:12 PM
Alan ...you can get the BMW ones ...in SS, well look's like from ebay , you can wire them via a relay from a live feed and connect via the main beam ,see here for
brackets and loom (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-Mini-Wipac-Spot-Lights-Stainless-Steel-Brackets_W0QQitemZ140026678756QQihZ004QQcategoryZ1 00916QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

X30YES
13th September 2006, 08:55 AM
Another option on lights and brackets is here (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1129480#post1129480)