PDA

View Full Version : MINI leather seats

sleepyrascal
13th August 2006, 09:32 AM
I'm about to embark on a tour of the UK in the mini. However, I have been working near inverness for the past month or so, and travelling to and from aberdeen every weekend.

I get a REALLY sore back half way through the journey (about an hour in) an i wondered if this is just me or is it the seats?

the first leg of my UK tour is 10 hours and I cant face it with the sore back thing. Agian, I dont know if its the seats or just me.

I've been offered my dads car instead but I really want to take the MINI.

Has anyone had this problem and cured it in some way?

john
13th August 2006, 09:37 AM
There i a pair of JCW seats on ebay;)

X30YES
13th August 2006, 01:10 PM
Sore back, mini seats, both go together I'm affraid :eek::disapprove:

lightbody
13th August 2006, 06:46 PM
try completly altering your driving position. I did and its helped immensely.

Put the seat really quite high up with a relatively upright backrest.

I'm 5'11" and this is quite comfy for 5 hours plus.

Craig
14th August 2006, 01:08 AM
I have a bad back (get sore all the time..) but did the Oxford trip (800 miles) in 2 days without any back pain.... :approve::approve:

I think it's all to do with the driving position. I would try a few different positions (easy!) before giving up and taking your dads car.. ;)

X30YES
14th August 2006, 01:50 AM
Yip deff the seat position , I had to have it set High and very straight ,which seemed to work .

The Dogfather
14th August 2006, 01:55 AM
I had the same problem, ended up getting rid of the MINI. I don't think the seats support the driver's upper back and shoulders and to compensate for the cornering forces you might be using the wheel to stop yourself sliding in corners. Effectively you might be locking up your upper back and shoulders without realising.

One idea might be to increase the resistance between the seat and your back. Try getting a camping mat, the foam type, cutting to the shape of the seat. They tend to be quite grippy and this might mean you slide around less. They only cost a fiver!

X30YES
14th August 2006, 02:39 AM
I had the same problem, ended up getting rid of the MINI <chucked the seats>:p and bought JCW ones

sleepyrascal
14th August 2006, 06:43 AM
hmmmmm thing is i'm 6ft 2 and it feels a bit strange having the seat up high. Plus if the seat is up any higher than it is at the mo, then i cant put the back up any further as my head will touch the roof. hmmmm

I'll try though..... Thanks... Glad to know its not just me...

Scottie
14th August 2006, 07:02 AM
h'mm my Parklane seats are real comfy what with my sheep skin seat covers:I

I could lend you the car for the trip let me think nope sorry.

sleepyrascal
14th August 2006, 07:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

h'mm my Parklane seats are real comfy what with my sheep skin seat covers:I

I could lend you the car for the trip let me think nope sorry.

How about the Disco. I'd get loads of camping stuff in that. Actually, sod the tent, i'll take your caravan too. Now i'm sorted! :D:D

Gismo
14th August 2006, 12:19 PM
Sleepy, if you consider the cost of changing cars the JCW seats would be a cheaper alternative, especially if it cures the back problem ;)

MartinSullivan
14th August 2006, 04:09 PM
I think John still has one of the cloth JCW seats out of his race car, might be worth fitting it and giving it a shot - at least it will tell you if it solves the problem

sleepyrascal
14th August 2006, 06:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Sleepy, if you consider the cost of changing cars the JCW seats would be a cheaper alternative, especially if it cures the back problem ;)

I'm not changing cars because of the seats. I'm changing because my car is getting oldish and has lots of miles.

The JCWs are not really an option. To expensive. Plus i'm selling the car soon (buying a house takes priority) so it would be wasted money.

I spoke to my Dad last night and he is more than happy to take the MINI for a week. It makes sense to take his becasue I know I don't get a sore back driving it, it has all the space I need and Its far more comfortable on a long journey. My MINI doesnt have cruise control or anything.

Thanks for the input.

minimadtez
14th August 2006, 08:12 PM
confused.....thought you were selling the MINI?

and more to the point didnt we have a debate a while back....me saying you should take the MINI, you saying you were taking vickys Ka?! i was right, what do i win? :D

sleepyrascal
14th August 2006, 08:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by minimadtez
confused.....thought you were selling the MINI?

and more to the point didnt we have a debate a while back....me saying you should take the MINI, you saying you were taking vickys Ka?! i was right, what do i win? :D

I am seling the mini. It's just a few things have come up that take priority. Bums!

The Ka was a shi**y idea. No you don't win, you get a congratulatory spew smilie --- :dead: That doesnt mean you win.

minimadtez
14th August 2006, 08:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal
The Ka was a shi**y idea. No you don't win, you get a congratulatory spew smilie --- :dead: That doesnt mean you win.

oh, ok then......but you realised I was right :p

I win I win!!! :D:D