PDA

View Full Version : BP Ultimate

Julz
8th December 2003, 05:17 PM
Ok, this has most likely been posted about before, but my feeble mind cannot recall!!!
WELL, I am now on my 2nd tank of this wonderful go-go juice, for the pure fact that it is so brill, that my right foot seems to be automatically drawn as close to the floor as it will possibly go!!:eek:
BabyB is overjoyed, not only did she get her thorough pre-crappy weather polish (three bloomin' hours of it too!!:approve:), for the first time in WEEKS, weeks I tell you, she made it past her magical 031mph speed (rearrange the numbers as you wish!!).
Mmmmmmmmm, go get some folks, I'm even having to make a detour to work for the BP garage, but I see the Texaco garage on the Kingsway is now a BP, JOY!!:D

GAJ
8th December 2003, 05:41 PM
Never tried it Julz but I think I will. My local garage is Shell so I always buy Optimax, which I like to think of as the petrol world's equivalent of Guinness - the wee Guinnessmobile has had nothing else, apart from two tanks of bog standard unleaded (pertrol equivalent of an alcopop!)when I could get nowt else. Cannae say I noticed any big difference though. How do you rate Ultimate in comparison to Optimax?

Or is this in danger of becoming one of those threads which would be more at home on MINI2?;):I

Gismo
8th December 2003, 05:51 PM
I can't say i've noticed any real difference in performance, when i first had the hartge i used unleaded, 6 months down the line i'm told that i should be using optimax and that it would give me about 5 BHP more due to the remap.
Once i started filling up with that i couldn't feel any difference, one slight thing though, my car didn't always start first time, sometimes it felt like it was flooded but would immediately start on the 2nd attempt.

Is the BP equivalent any cheaper?? if it is i might consider it, BBR were quite insistsnt that i use optimax although i hate anything to do with Shell :p

Bonnie Scotland

Wul
8th December 2003, 06:05 PM
Is BP ultimate not a slightly less RON than Optimax (96 in lieu of 97??)?

I've not tried it yet - but as for the difference between optimax and normal unleaded - believe there is definately a difference!

On optimax the coop is much more responsive an smooth through the rev range - if you really need to test this - go fill up at asda or tesco and see what happens - apart from getting clubcard points that is! ;)

May need to try ultimate in the name of science! :D

Wul
8th December 2003, 06:13 PM
looks like bp ultimate is 97 ron http://www.bp.com/ultimate/uk/petrol/default.asp and optimax is more than 98ron!

Julz
8th December 2003, 07:32 PM
I always preferred BP to Shell anyway, but originally, the Ultimate was rumoured to be 100 octane!! As for price, the BP next the the Merc garage on the Kingsway was 79.9p/l!! I certainly notice a better response and acceleration to the Optimax!! Might be the cold air, who knows, but worth a try anyways!!:p:D

knaone
8th December 2003, 07:47 PM
thats the one people are moaning at because some muppet filled his diesel with it!!!:blackeye::blackeye:

because another chain uses DARK blue for diesel this muppet thought blue was diesel, despite the fact that the majority of places have black pumps for it and the fact it sayd quite clearly "UNLEADED" :dead::dead::dead:

the guy is a maroon... as bugs bunny would say

Not tried it :D

Gismo
8th December 2003, 08:48 PM
My car was certainly more responsive today, more due to the air temp though, -4, i don't see the BP fuel being any better than Shell, which is a shame cause i hate Shell :evil:

Bonnie Scotland

Julz
8th December 2003, 09:01 PM
I know that each company puts in different additives etc. for faster flow, so it's maybe something to do with that, but a good reason for using Ultimate is it's better for the environment than Optimax (supposedly):approve:. The only way to find out is try it yourself, and BP are the ones who have bought over your beloved Texaco in Scotland cause Texaco don't like us and wanted to leave:evil::clown:;):D

macblob
9th December 2003, 02:34 AM
Ive always just used normal shell unleaded, might need to give optimax a try though.

Take it I should run the tank down to almost empty 1st?

GAJ
9th December 2003, 02:36 AM
That's the best idea Brian. It might take a while to notice the difference.

Gismo
9th December 2003, 03:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob
Take it I should run the tank down to almost empty 1st?
No, never do that, do it in stages, let your tank run down to 1/4, then keep topping up, you'll quickly change your fuel to full optimax strength in about 2 or 3 tanks.
Don't want to risk dragging the sediment through your precious fuel lines and filter :)

Bonnie Scotland

Linda M
9th December 2003, 03:49 AM
I'm just thankful that the wee garage in Crieff sells Optimax, I was shocked :eek: But then I have to say that there are quite a few 'nice' motors running round Crieff !!

minidriver#1
9th December 2003, 03:51 AM
was just wondering. How does ultimax clean the engine out as it claims it does?

macblob
9th December 2003, 04:34 AM
BTW whats the price difference a tank?

seany
9th December 2003, 10:12 PM
we use ultimax for both mini and we think it makes a big difference

Fontal
9th December 2003, 10:25 PM
We just get regular up here nobody does super fuel:disapprove::disapprove:

Fontal

Wul
10th December 2003, 06:47 PM
Macblob - your looking at about £1.50 -2 per tank depending on prices at the time but on av about 4-5p per litre diff - well worth it for the performance change tho :D

Burple
10th December 2003, 10:10 PM
Hey... just put in some of that BP nutty Zoom-juice last night!!
Bloody hell!!! It's good!! The red light had just come on (had Optimax in it), So I went and tried some...wow...
the car seemed to feel better right away, so I left it till this morning... DEFINITELY an improvement in responsiveness! :D:D:D

Yay!!!

seany
10th December 2003, 10:15 PM
i fell the cars a lighter with it

bpirie1000
11th December 2003, 03:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

BTW whats the price difference a tank?

Sorry I read this Like this

BTW whats the price difference? ANS: A Tank!!!!

(100,000)

Talking about government cut backs on T.V. Sorry thought it was funny. mind is on other things..

macblob
15th December 2003, 06:28 AM
Just filled up with a tank of the new bp zooom fuel, definately noticed a difference in 5th around XXXmph on the motorway afterwards :D

(Edited MMM)

broken_brian
15th December 2003, 04:01 PM
hmmm i think i may have to give this a try as i usually fill my ikle car up with optimax at £20 per week which is not too bad :D. will need to wait till next week to give it a try as i just filled it up on the way home from work

macblob
15th December 2003, 07:06 PM
Definately pulls better in 5th gear in my cooper:D

euan
15th December 2003, 07:32 PM
Put some in last night, only because I was nearly out of petrol and BP was closest. Will see what difference it makes. As an aside, whats the size of the tank in an S?

Gismo
15th December 2003, 07:57 PM
50 Litres

Bonnie Scotland

Quik_Mini
15th December 2003, 08:15 PM
In theory the best way to fuel your car is to run the tank to empty, then fill it half with Optimax and half with Ultimate... Supposedly the ROMs combine(ish) to give a slightly higher overall figure, the reason for running the tank completely empty btw is air.. Shouldn't really put tenners in the tank should just run it empty then fill. (comes from a racing team not from me)

I have also been told by teams that putting an alcaseltzer in the fuel tank helps the power, cant really see how it would work, and not really wanting to put one in my tank... But if anyone is up for trying it can u let me know if it works hehehehe.

macblob
16th December 2003, 02:48 AM
Running the tank dry would mean that all the **** in the bottom of the tank would go through all the engines filters etc everytime,.... dont fancy that much

Quik_Mini
16th December 2003, 04:14 AM
Yea thats what I thought, but they say its best lol... As I said if anyone wants to try it, let me know :) (Oh and btw how do u get the faces on this)

macblob
16th December 2003, 04:41 AM
go to reply to topic at the top of the forum page instead of quick reply at the bottom and ull see smileys on the left handside :D

Quik_Mini
16th December 2003, 07:56 AM
Cool thanks :D

Wul
16th December 2003, 08:09 PM
Whilst i agree that you shouldn't run a tank to fully empty as the crap in the bottom is stirred up - you should in theory have a pretty clean tank in a new MINI to start and the outlet's are normally set on the side or have an 'upstand' to prevent the crud in the bottom getting drawn in.

But by the time you've filled up twice in ultimate you should have the full bhoona of fuel on board anyway.

euan
17th December 2003, 08:38 PM
As i mentioned else where, my S was flying on this stuff last night. Mind you, it was pretty cold last night as well, but she felt very sprightly indeed. Look forward to trying it at the weekend in the warmth (?) of the day.

Tahra
18th December 2003, 09:55 PM
John here: does running something like Optimax in an engine designed primarily for regular common-or-garden unleaded have any long term impacts on things like wear and tear? Also interested in what the fuel economy is like - we usually get between 225 to 260 miles on a tank of petroleum vulgaris in our silver lugged S, and anything that could up that a bit would be welcome, even if it is more expensive per litre...

I know a lot of turbo- and super-charged cars require super-unleaded, and so can definitely see sense in using it on an S - if not so sure about a Cooper or One - but don't want to bu66er the engine, either.

Cautious John

Big Gordy
18th December 2003, 10:07 PM
IMHO there is no way you would bu99er an engine by using a HIGHER graded fuel only if you used a LOWER grade of fuel would there be a problem. The Optimax type fuels use some kind of cleaning agent in them to keep your engine in 'as new' condition ie no carbon build up.
I've used optimax in my old 1959 Triumph motorbike engine since optimax came out with no additional wear problems. The only problem I have is the lack of lead in all new petrols which effect the valve/valve seats on older engines. After 5 years I've had no ill effects - YET :p:D:approve:

Big Col
18th December 2003, 10:26 PM
The new BP garage in the Southside of Glasgow doesn't have Ultimate! BOOOO!

seany
19th December 2003, 12:36 AM
you will fend all bp will get the ultimate sooner or later

Big Col
19th December 2003, 12:49 AM
I thought they would've had it already. I got a few confused looks when I pulled in, looked at the pumps, mouthed "Awww fur f*** sake" and then pulled back out again to go for Optimax instead.

seany
19th December 2003, 01:05 AM
i thought it was only red bull that gave wings, but bp ultimatemakes the car fly!!! hee hee

Fontal
19th December 2003, 01:31 AM
No fair I want some of that fuel :(

Scheckter MC
22nd December 2003, 11:27 PM
Have been using Optimax in my Cooper (not S) for a while now, and it definitely feels a little more responsive.

Haven't tried BP's fancy stuff yet though.

jockaneese
22nd December 2003, 11:57 PM
Hi folks,
As a guy who lives and works in germany (only in sunny scotland to see the folks) we have v-power to contend with its 100ron!!! shell make it with ferarri and it makes my wee baby go some:D
so well infact i filled two petrol cans to bring back cause the optimax stuff over here is feeble in comparison (its so good that shell gaurantee a 10% power increase) so that makes my one 99bhp with no mods Woohoo!:cool::p

broken_brian
23rd December 2003, 12:50 AM
i got some of that nice bp ultimate only thing about it tho is i need to fill the car up again.....!

only due to driving flat out everywhere:clown::D

when i drove through germany going to austria for the imm a few years ago i put some nice 100 ron petrol in my car and boy did it fly..!:D got great mpg when driven nicely too:clown:

macblob
23rd December 2003, 01:41 AM
Im Back to optimax again as I canny find a BP Garage near Leith

Wul
23rd December 2003, 05:18 AM
Macblob - the bp website has a station locator on it but it isnae working the now - maybe try later. From memory tho your nearest bp garage is 77 ferry road or willowbrae road - try here http://www.yell.co.uk/search/DoSearch?state=INI&screen=VAL&targetName=&businessType=&companyName=bp&location=edinburgh&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

macblob
23rd December 2003, 06:20 AM
cool cheers wul

3GGG
24th March 2004, 05:04 AM
Was nearly out of my normal Optimax today, so popped into the local BP as I noticed they had Ultimate for sale at last.
83.5p a litre! Must check but that seemed more expensive than Optimax.
Anyway, it feels different to Optimax. Optimax seems to give a big boost above 4000RPM, but Ultimate seems to be generally smoother throughout the rev range, it quite surprised me when driving off from the forecourt.
I'll never get all of those cards for Optimax anyway. Only slightly annoyed that BP have dropped their Argos points card for a Nectar one now.

GAJ
24th March 2004, 05:40 AM
Optimax is 79.9p in sunny Leith at the moment. Not sure how much Ultimate is.

Julz
24th March 2004, 08:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

Only slightly annoyed that BP have dropped their Argos points card for a Nectar one now.

I think the Nectar covers Argos too, aswell as Vic Wines, Debenhams....... (cannae mind who else!!):clown:

mr.b
24th March 2004, 09:09 PM
I haven't tried it yet but will need to. used to run Optimax in my 'teg and it was very nice goose juice indeed with a little added fuel nutriants as made by one of my friends!!! a nice little addition it is too.

monkimagic
25th March 2004, 02:37 AM
My other mode of transport is an old Vespa, she takes the hard stuff, 4 star, getting hard to find though

Monki