PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP!!

claire
11th August 2006, 04:27 AM
Wonder if anyone can help me out with some advice. was driving along quite the thing, when my car started missing, the wee engine warning light came on!! Then started flashing!! Any ideas would be great as i'm a bit puzzled what could be wrong. (never had any probs at all with the car before)

thanks

Julz
11th August 2006, 05:54 AM
When you say missing do you mean misfiring?? Also, does the wee engine light come on or does the EML light come on too?? If so it sounds like the problem I had with the sensors so my advice is, whatever you do, don't take it to John Clarks in Dundee!!!!:evil::mad::eek:

claire
11th August 2006, 07:03 AM
hi yes the car was misfiring, was like it was holding back, struggled to pull away!! the EML light did come on but went out after a min or two, so its only the engine light thats on now. My poor wee car!

Had the RAC man out, he linked it to his wee computer but (as i expected) it jut said the obvious, that there was a problem and it should be taken to a BMW garage to be checked out!! its being towed to Menzies (where i bought the car from) in the morning, hope they'll be able to tell me whats wrong and most importantly that it wont cost the earth to put right!!!

Kosta
11th August 2006, 07:14 AM
I'm probably wrong but ......

Check the fuses, i know it sounds daft but check them! 4th one up on the right hand side if i remember rightly.

rockwellcm
12th August 2006, 04:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

When you say missing do you mean misfiring?? Also, does the wee engine light come on or does the EML light come on too?? If so it sounds like the problem I had with the sensors so my advice is, whatever you do, don't take it to John Clarks in Dundee!!!!:evil::mad::eek:

why whats wrong with clarks?

JR

Mini Me
12th August 2006, 04:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by claire

hi yes the car was misfiring, was like it was holding back, struggled to pull away!! the EML light did come on but went out after a min or two, so its only the engine light thats on now. My poor wee car!

Had the RAC man out, he linked it to his wee computer but (as i expected) it jut said the obvious, that there was a problem and it should be taken to a BMW garage to be checked out!! its being towed to Menzies (where i bought the car from) in the morning, hope they'll be able to tell me whats wrong and most importantly that it wont cost the earth to put right!!!

it will be a sensor, something noy uncommon, aas to the cost ,are you not still under warranty:question::question:

stoney
12th August 2006, 05:17 AM
hay i had i thing like that and it was some thing 2 do with the pins in the lead for ur accerater as it is done elctronly or somin

Clare1
12th August 2006, 05:32 PM
Claire i saw your wee car in here yesterday, our guys are taking good care of it as we speak!

Gorbash12346
13th August 2006, 01:16 AM
sounds like the coilpack if i may be so bold but there are as always a multitude of things that it could also be almost certainly the ecu will have recorded a fault code and the guys at menzies will run a quick test and it will give them a large amount of detail of the fault allowing them to diagnose it, fix it and have your car back on the road

the ecu's are very clever pieces of kit

hope u get it fixed np's

Julz
14th August 2006, 04:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by rockwellcm
why whats wrong with clarks?

JR

They take three weeks and cost you over £2k for a £350 job that you told them was the problem in the first place then never give you an apology for f@nnying about even after Mini themselves give them jip!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

MartinSullivan
14th August 2006, 05:02 PM
As Stone said there is a known issue with the pins going to the ECU, mainly from the accelerator pedal, there was a modified plug produced but I believe it does still sometimes cause an issue. When I called BMW out to mine, they took the plug out and pushed a paper clip into each hole on the plig and reinserted it and cleared the fault code. I then got the modified plug and loom installed and since then everything has been ok.

lightbody
14th August 2006, 06:34 PM
I had this problem with my 2001 MINI - it happened a few times and then completely conked out on the motorway. Not fun. It was a faulty crankshaft sensor they said.

claire
15th August 2006, 03:24 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your ideas on my wee problem. After a wee sleep over at Menzies, "bumble" is well and driving like a dream again:D

It was the coil pack which had given up and had to be replaced.

Was very impressed with how quickly menzies dealt with my car, Thanks guys:)

ScottishCooper
18th August 2006, 09:56 PM
I had a similar problem, about a week after having had new brake discs and Pads fitted (Black Diamond ones). Not sure if it definatly related to this but gave the same problem.
According to the manual, if there is a fault detected, the car runs on restricted power (seems like a misfire) so you can at least move the car. I turned the ignition off and back on, had normal power but the engine light remained on, after a few engine starts, it cleared the engine light HOWEVER. . . Couple of weeks later, I had the exact same prob and again it sorted itself. Got the brakes checked out by the garage that fitted them, and never had an issue since (touch wood). Think it may have been to do with the brake sensor. but who knows. Made me think on getting the software and cable to link up to the car, just to see what it says. BUT, not got round to it yet !!

MartinSullivan
18th August 2006, 10:09 PM
I have a fault code reader if anyone ever needs to borrow it - will give you some general info about the fault and let you clear the warning lights once any faults have been rectified

stoney
19th August 2006, 12:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

I have a fault code reader if anyone ever needs to borrow it - will give you some general info about the fault and let you clear the warning lights once any faults have been rectified

you are a very usfull man 2 know arnt u !!!!:D:D

X30YES
19th August 2006, 03:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Hammer :question:;)