PDA

View Full Version : ICE

sjfield1
10th August 2006, 04:14 AM
Hi, i was wondering if any of you could advise what the best speakers are best to put in the mini. I want a bit more than what you get as standard without it looking tacky. Any suggestions?

Sweeney
10th August 2006, 04:27 AM
To stay "mini" rather than aftermarket, the harmon kardon system is brilliant. Im sure they do it as a retro fit, i'd ask for a demo of a mini with it fitted just so you can listen to the difference before you buy it.

I can't comment on aftermarket setups as ive never had one :p

fireman01
10th August 2006, 04:36 AM
just fitted some ice to my mini,but it might be a bit "tacky" for you,lost my boot to 2x12" subs and amps,new sony head unit that doubles as a tv and a dvd player in the glove box,lost my boot and think i will loss my hearing quite soon due to the massive noise the subs make!:D

Sweeney
10th August 2006, 05:43 AM
The mini has a boot?!!? where?! ;)

Neil and Lorna
10th August 2006, 06:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

The mini has a boot?!!? where?! ;)

The wee space behind the back seats.:D:D
And above the battery in an S.:cool::cool:

Neil.;);););)

Mini Me
10th August 2006, 08:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

To stay "mini" rather than aftermarket, the harmon kardon system is brilliant. Im sure they do it as a retro fit, i'd ask for a demo of a mini with it fitted just so you can listen to the difference before you buy it.

I can't comment on aftermarket setups as ive never had one :p

HK is superb, but expensive dealer fit. There are loads of upgrades available that you wouldnt even notice and i know just the man.
If you even wish ti discuss your options with him, you still should have ma mobile, if not PM me..;););)

Burple
10th August 2006, 05:25 PM
<cracks knuckles>

Right... ;)

The rear speakers can be replaced with any aftermarket 6x9s (I've got Infinity 6931s, and they're superb)
The fronts are (if I remember) 13cm components, which can also be replaced, there are plenty of speakers out there of that size to choose from. You can also replace the tweeters at the top of the doors too :D.
If you've got a new Head Unit already, then you're well on the way. If you can find space, you can hook all these speakers up to Amplifiers to give them a bit more power, but if you have a new Head Unit be aware that it'll probably be putting out about 4x50 watts, so any amps must be of greater output to notice any difference.
If you amp up the rear 6x9s enough, you won't really need a subwoofer, they should be fairly impressive.
On the other hand, I've left all the speakers powered off the head unit (and left the front ones as standard), and have a Vibe 10" bandpass enclosed sub box where my boot used to be.. Just set up like that (which is reasonably mild) is enough to be anti-social if you want to! :I;)
It's well within the capabilities of that set up to be cruising down the motorway at 70, and hear and feel nothing but music..

:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

minidriver#1
11th August 2006, 03:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by fireman01

just fitted some ice to my mini,but it might be a bit "tacky" for you,lost my boot to 2x12" subs and amps,new sony head unit that doubles as a tv and a dvd player in the glove box,lost my boot and think i will loss my hearing quite soon due to the massive noise the subs make!:D

Have you got pics of the 12's? i'd be interested to see how you did it.

sjfield1
14th August 2006, 04:59 AM
thanks for all your help. I sort of need my "so called" boot, so i have to stay pretty simple, but i want something that bit extra than what comes as standard.

stoney
14th August 2006, 05:04 AM
well as lnl said u can fit 6 x 9 s in where ur back speakers are now i have done this at the weekend along with my head unit thay sound a lot better than standard then change the fronts as well and it will sound better than the standard but would say 2 change head unit if changing speakers

Coop
14th August 2006, 06:15 AM
The first thing to do would be replace the head unit. As lnl said, the internal amp in the HU will prop be much better than standard. In ma last car I got a great Pioneer unit with 4 x 50W for not much over £100.

As for HK, its great but you will get just as good sound with Pioneer / Sony / Alpine gear for less £.

Gees a shout if you want any help.

Also, does anyone have any pics of MINI boot installs?