PDA

View Full Version : Silica Wheel Seal

The Bull
9th August 2006, 10:14 PM
Anyone tried this yet? The muc-off stuff is meant to be good.

Silica Wheel Seal (http://www.muc-off.co.uk/carsilica.html)

jayex
11th August 2006, 04:51 PM
Nope never tryed it - looks good tho - if it works that is , wonder why they always have half naked ladies on these adverts tho? :eek: - seems v strange i think!

The Bull
11th August 2006, 07:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by jayex

wonder why they always have half naked ladies on these adverts tho? :eek: - seems v strange i think!

Are you complaining? :D

Burple
11th August 2006, 07:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by jayex

Nope never tryed it - looks good tho - if it works that is , wonder why they always have half naked ladies on these adverts tho? :eek: - seems v strange i think!

The same reason there are half naked men all over Diet Coke adverts.
Audience targetting, sex sells.

Not tried it yet tho, but Muc-Off for bikes is V good stuff..

The Bull
12th August 2006, 07:25 AM
Halfords have it. Go on someone, buy it and tell me if it's any good. :D

sedgie
12th August 2006, 07:31 AM
stop being tight n you go buy it!:p:p;):D

Burple
14th August 2006, 04:52 AM
..and I've just gone and got some Meguiars Hot Wheels...
Hmph ;):D:D

sedgie
14th August 2006, 04:56 AM
thats wot i use L_N_L;);):D

Burple
14th August 2006, 06:41 PM
Just put some on for the first time yesterday (did Ellie's Micra too)

Mucho Impressed! Flippin messy to put on, but it looks awesome!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

zimbo
14th August 2006, 09:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Mucho Impressed! Flippin messy to put on, but it looks awesome!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I told you :D

euan
26th August 2006, 04:54 PM
Does this stuff clean or just protect?

Need to get something to look after my much neglected alloys.

The Bull
18th September 2006, 01:30 AM
I just applied some.

It's not for cleaning but protecting them from brake dust and dirt. You have to clean and dry your wheels before applying. The wheels came up great and should stay that way for a while if it does what it says on the tin.

Well actually they should enable me just to hose down the wheels with water and they will be gleaming again! We'll see. I'll keep you posted.

Wul
20th September 2006, 01:27 AM
Guys - correct me if i'm worng here - but this is basically a tin of WD40 rebranded as wheel spray!! 8) I would doubt it will last any longer than waxing your wheels as silicon sparys tend to stay "wet" to look glossy meaning they wash off in the rain etc.

Also the temperature of wheels and brake dust tends to mean that waxes etc only last so long.

But go on - prove me wrong!! ;):p

PACMAN
20th September 2006, 01:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Guys - correct me if i'm worng here - but this is basically a tin of WD40 rebranded as wheel spray!! 8) I would doubt it will last any longer than waxing your wheels as silicon sparys tend to stay "wet" to look glossy meaning they wash off in the rain etc.

Also the temperature of wheels and brake dust tends to mean that waxes etc only last so long.

But go on - prove me wrong!! ;):p

is there a better stuff Dr Wul to use :I

Wul
20th September 2006, 04:44 PM
I just give the wheels a good clean then wax once a month and they look good to me - but then S-Spokes are easy to keep clean - more intricate wheels will be a bit of a mare!! Never tried any of the specific wheel waxes personally. :)

The Bull
20th September 2006, 11:17 PM
Just gave this stuff the first true test by hosing down my brake dust covered wheels and the dust didn't just fall off as stated in the instructions..

It all came off quite easily by rubbing my hand on it really lightly as I was spraying (I'm sure a sponge would be better) so it fails that part of the test.

However, the water is still beading on the surface and it's still gleaming underneath so the Silica hasn't just washed off after the water was sprayed on it (and been rubbed). I would say it has put a more resistant coating on the wheels than a normal body wax would. I'm gonna try my Klasse AIO on them next time I clean the car.

The Bull
20th September 2006, 11:21 PM

I would doubt it will last any longer than waxing your wheels as silicon sparys tend to stay "wet" to look glossy meaning they wash off in the rain etc.

This doesn't stay wet. You buff it off dry to a shine. (You would think I worked for these people! :D )

The Bull
27th October 2006, 07:07 AM
I take back all I said. It's rubbish on wheels. Good on rubber and plastics though.

Wul
27th October 2006, 05:01 PM
Oh dear!:( I did have my doubts - at least it won't be wasted! :p

vintageb3
28th October 2006, 04:47 AM

I just give the wheels a good clean then wax once a month and they look good to me - but then S-Spokes are easy to keep clean - more intricate wheels will be a bit of a mare!! Never tried any of the specific wheel waxes personally. :)

Hi Wul...

I bought Meguiars stuff to keep the tyres nice and shiny...but didn't buy wheel wax. Are you saying that wheel wax is worth buying?...I should just use Meguiars Tech wax in my wheels?

My Dad said that he just uses Autoglym body wax on his alloys...

Thanks

mark

Wul
28th October 2006, 04:58 AM
Hey Mark - yeh i just use either tech wax or #16 on mines and it works a treat! :)

vintageb3
28th October 2006, 05:58 AM

Hey Mark - yeh i just use either tech wax or #16 on mines and it works a treat! :)

Hi Wul...Ok I got this bit right then :)

mark

jarvis-cooper-s
29th October 2006, 06:19 AM
meguirers hot wheels is rubbish!
its ment for chrome wheels so its no good on alloys.just my opinion.

autoglym do a wheel wax spray thats good though!!

Wul
30th October 2006, 05:59 AM
Andrew - not sure what you mean chief.

Megs hot wheels is a chrome and alloy safe wheel cleaner not a wax - I've used it before and it worked a treat - although I now use Muc-Off as it's cheaper 8)

A lot of people recommend Megs alloy cleaner and bightener in one - it's part of their professional range.