PDA

View Full Version : £1800 a year Road Tax

Scottie
8th August 2006, 04:46 AM
WTF and although It us 4x4 owners that they are talking about in the news it will affect a lot of cars.

and even a ford mondeo 2.0 would supposedly pay £1500 per year. Nothing to do with 4x4 at all,

They also forgot to mention that if you have the same engine in a 3 series, you would also pay £1800 per year£1500 for the Mondeo:eek::eek::eek:

N12 JLK
8th August 2006, 04:50 AM
Is that road tax or another tax on top of all the other feckin taxes you pay!:disapprove:

PACMAN
8th August 2006, 04:54 AM
time to kick out the goverment :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

how much for a mini cooper s :I

stoney
8th August 2006, 05:04 AM
how much will it be for cars like mine jcws ???

duncan
8th August 2006, 05:09 AM
Something has to give though.
The level if car use in the UK is rising at rates that just aren't sustainable.
That, and the fact there's no duty on aviation fuel, which is doing more harm than what motorists do, don't help one bit.

If the UK had the integrated Public Transport systems of Mainland Europe, then things would be much better. Not perfect, but better.

The Dogfather
8th August 2006, 05:19 AM
Scaremongering! Any government that implemented this would find themselves out of power very quickly. The real problem is the fact we are trying to meet climate figures that at best would only delay global warming by 10 years. This is all at a massive cost.

This planet is screwed, we should all be buying V8 LR Discoveries and getting ready to welcome new seaside towns like Manchester and Perth not to mention the new wine growing area of the midlands.

The Dogfather
8th August 2006, 05:22 AM
Mind you we'd lose Norfork so there would be a shortage of Turkey at Christmas :D

Scottie
8th August 2006, 05:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by stone

how much will it be for cars like mine jcws ???

they ain't got to that part yet BUT

the thing is though they say that they will be increasing the top VED band to £1800.

so a Mini Copper which is 2 bands below that currently costing £150 a year how much is a small Mini going to go up by £900 maybe

and those drivers will be going at least we ain't got a 4x4. :shock:

or maybe it is tatics they will only incrase by a few hundred and we will all think phew it could have been worse.

I have always said bring in road charges that is the way to go.

No there is'nt any duty on jet fuel yet but if they did just think of the price hike in airline travel at least they pay vat

what about all the tonnes of fuel on shipping they get it duty free vat free unless they are in the home waters.

A domestic oil users pays x3 more than the airlines and it is more or less the same fuel

The Dogfather
8th August 2006, 05:36 AM
Stupid plan, this war on the motorist will cause other problems - House prices will go up in cities and fall in outlying areas, tourism will suffer as well. Government workers - Nurses, Policmen etc. already can't afford to buy houses in places like Inverness and Aberdeen........

AndyP & Lenore
8th August 2006, 05:38 AM
Fi, where are you seeing this news report. Searched BBC and cannae find anything on it.:(

N12 JLK
8th August 2006, 05:45 AM
quote:

This planet is screwed, we should all be buying V8 LR Discoveries and getting ready to welcome new seaside towns like Manchester and Perth not to mention the new wine growing area of the midlands.

Sorry had to have a wee chuckle at VB's reply hee hee;)

Scottie
8th August 2006, 05:46 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5251022.stm

http://www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=221596

also been loads on the radio about it today.

AndyP & Lenore
8th August 2006, 05:54 AM
Like VB says, scaremongering. They'll talk about a £1800 MVL and we all go "Aw sh!te NO!", and when it comes in at £600! we all go "phew! at least it's not £1800!" When really we're still being screwed for another £400! :eek:

There's no way they will raise it to that much anyway, because that would seriously hit larger car sales, and there's no way the car manufacturers will like that. And they still pack a bit of punch in the government.

A.

stoney
8th August 2006, 05:55 AM
i have herd about it on the raido 2 day it is geying daft they make us pay road tax and look at the mess of the roads in my area u go out on 2 some of the a roads there are pot holes the size of footballs and worse !!!!! and still the price of fule gose up road tax gose up what so the goverment can spend it on what !!!!!!!!!!!

ok rant over

james f
8th August 2006, 07:03 AM
lol the goverment makes me sick they cant do a thing right and i hope two jags pays for this as well as the rest of us how ever i will admit to using my car more than i should although not doing a huge ammount of distance about 12.5k a year for the last 3 years on avaerage since i got the mini

but i also feel all buses should be replaced with a better altrenartive or converted to lpg or bio fuels before all motorists are punished and we should look at redcuing the ammount of lorries on our roads urgently then well will be better off money isnt gping to make the planet better only chaninging our ways can do that

Smitty
8th August 2006, 09:35 PM
Road Tax should be based on your milage per year.

Explain where the fairness is in charging someone who does 100 000 miles a year, the same amount of tax as some who only does 10 000.:blackeye:

As for £1800 for 4x4....what a joke! Yes, by all means charge 4x4's a bit more, after all they do the most damage to the roads and the enviroment and i'm sure their drivers will agree and could justify and higher price than smaller cars....but not £1800!!:eek:

I think before people will accept car tax at that price.........petrol tax must be dropped drastically AND road conditons must be improved 10 fold because IMHO, the roads nowadays are terrible!:mad::dead:

Scottie
8th August 2006, 09:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

Road Tax should be based on your milage per year.

Explain where the fairness is in charging someone who does 100 000 miles a year, the same amount of tax as some who only does 10 000.:blackeye:

As for £1800 for 4x4....what a joke! Yes, by all means charge 4x4's a bit more, after all they do the most damage to the roads and the enviroment and i'm sure their drivers will agree and could justify and higher price than smaller cars....but not £1800!!:eek:

I think before people will accept car tax at that price.........petrol tax must be dropped drastically AND road conditons must be improved 10 fold because IMHO, the roads nowadays are terrible!:mad::dead:

ah but Smitty you ain't getting it they target 4x4 saying gas guzzlers etc etc but these motors nowadays are just as friendly as say a 330D BMW. It all false what the green tree huggers are saying.

MY Disco 3 is more friendly then a Coopers JCWs :eek::D true though.

Smitty
8th August 2006, 11:11 PM
Yeh, suppose your correct their Fi. But some 4x4 are gas guzzlers, so deserved to be taxed a bit more, but your Disco is reknowned for being very efficient for the size of the beast!!:p

The way i see it is there a 4 main categories that vehicles "could" be taxed on:

1. Fuel Consumtation (mpg)
2. Emission Levels
3. Engine Size (i don't agree with this one anymore, due to the performance you can pull from small engines nowadays)
4. Average milage per year (My personal favourite:approve:)

Whats everyones opinion on how we should be taxed then??

euan
9th August 2006, 02:01 AM
OK, let's look at this slightly differently. Lets take into account airline fuel tax as well.

They state - "increase in travel caused by economic growth". Equally, the converse may be true - reduced travel may well cause economic slowdown. Much more likely, however, is that these costs will have to be absorbed by the economically active, and passed on in their fees and prices, fuelling inflations.

Oh, and here's a thing. Did you know MPs don't:

* pay tax on their government cars
* pay tax on thier rail travel
* pay for the fuel in their government cars
* pay market rates for their food at the House of Commons
* pay the market rate for their drinks in the House of Commons bar
* have better pensions than anyone I know

So, it's easy to make these recomendations when it doesn't hit your own pocket...

The Dogfather
9th August 2006, 02:21 AM
Unecomomical cars are already taxed by the mile - this happens at the pump with fuel duty. If they want to get people out of uneconomical cars put fuel tax up. Simple.

Just as long as they keep LPG at 40p/litre I'll be happy ;)

Mon the fish
9th August 2006, 05:17 AM
Fuel tax works as it is and is easy to control, more so than other ways of revenue raising.

Drink loads of fuel = more tax
Drive more miles = more tax

Still too damn high though :evil:

duncan
9th August 2006, 05:52 AM
If you weren't paying the tax on fuel, they'd just tax something else at a higher rate.
Plus, we're not the highest in Europe.

PACMAN
9th August 2006, 06:49 AM
who's the cheapest :)

duncan
9th August 2006, 06:52 AM
From personal experience, probably Luxembourg. They're prices are considerably cheaper than the neighbouring countries.

Saying that, with all the new admission states, like Poland, and the Czech Republic, they could well be someone lower.

If you look here (http://www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutcars/fuel/2006/July2006.doc) The AA have a price report for European petrol prices. Its a Word Doccument.

PACMAN
9th August 2006, 07:09 AM
sound like a time to move and start up a new web page...... NewminiLuxembourg.com :D

advantages are:-

cheap fuel
cheap tax
and whole lot more differant roads to drive on ;)

Sheilz
14th August 2006, 07:51 AM
As someone who is not paid to use own transport but is EXPECTED to do so and can do 2000miles for work alone in any one month - all in the name of child protection and on a miserable salary, I would have to disagree strongly that it should go by average mileage. That is also punitive for people in rural areas who already tend to pay more for fuel than town dwellers. If these kind of tax levels were introduced I think there would be an uproar and justifiably so.

Sheilz
14th August 2006, 07:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

OK, let's look at this slightly differently. Lets take into account airline fuel tax as well.

They state - "increase in travel caused by economic growth". Equally, the converse may be true - reduced travel may well cause economic slowdown. Much more likely, however, is that these costs will have to be absorbed by the economically active, and passed on in their fees and prices, fuelling inflations.

Oh, and here's a thing. Did you know MPs don't:

* pay tax on their government cars
* pay tax on thier rail travel
* pay for the fuel in their government cars
* pay market rates for their food at the House of Commons
* pay the market rate for their drinks in the House of Commons bar
* have better pensions than anyone I know

So, it's easy to make these recomendations when it doesn't hit your own pocket...

B******ds!

That infuriates me! Its always the same, the fat cats line their own pockets and totally take the piss out of Joe Bloggs. Its the same at LA level. Those on over-inflated salaries get all the perks while us mere mortals have all the sh*t to deal with. Grrr!

Fontal
15th August 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm STUFFED