PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Seat Rails

Suzi
7th August 2006, 04:07 AM
I'm just fitting new seats to my mini, using the rails etc from my old seats. When the seats are out the car the slide back and forward after pulling the lever no problem but as soon as we bolt the seats in, they wont budge on the rail. The screws are down full so its not them they are catching on. The full rail and lever are from my old seats.

Is there any sort of alignment issues or funnies i should be looking out for?

Cheers,

Suzi

Gorbash12346
8th August 2006, 05:12 AM
noo you probably did what i did first time around changing the seat rail on the side with the lever actually on it there is a a little metal arm that MUST sit on top of the seat lever arm not underneath it this is the most likely fault

i'll maybe try and get a pic 2moz @ work

The Dogfather
8th August 2006, 05:28 AM
Yup, I did the same with one of my seats. Do the seats still move with the lever at the front though, they should if its just the problem Gorbash mentions.

Suzi
8th August 2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks for your help guys.

Sounds like I'm having the same problem. The side opposite the lever releases and its the lever side that is sticking.

Gorbash if you could post pics that would be great.

Very very very very much appreciated!

Suzi

gill
8th August 2006, 04:32 PM
Suzi, you not got those seats in right yet!?!?! ;)

Only joking! Hope you solve the issue - told you they were awkward!

Suzi
8th August 2006, 04:42 PM
It's a tough one. Seats look great though :D

Let me know if your hubby's got any tips!

I think Gorbash and Paul are right about the whats going on. When it's all working there'll be a huge sigh of relief from me!!

ianking
8th August 2006, 05:10 PM
AND A BIG SIGH FROM ME AND YOUR DAD TO:):p:D

Suzi
8th August 2006, 05:14 PM
I know :)

Cheers for your help last night. We're having another go tonight with the advice from Paul and Gorbash.

Gorbash12346
9th August 2006, 04:48 AM
ok i completely forgot the picture (sorry :$) so i'll try and describ the procedure bolt 1 rail to the chairs subframe solidly for ease of description lets say it's the side that the lever handle for letting the seat slide is on.

now get your h shaped bit of lever mechanism (the middle bar with the lever on it..

put the back of it into the little rubber holder insert notice that there is a metal tab that can be pushed onto the top of the leg do so (this is the bit thats most likely the problem) then insert into the hinge holder on the rail, follow the same procedure on the other rail but obviously moving the rail rather than lever bars to achieve it then bolt on securely and test...

my apologies for forgetting i will put a reminder in my phone for tommorow, do you live anywhere near hamilton (my work) or lanark area?

Suzi
9th August 2006, 05:12 AM
We've now got the passenger seat in the livingroom trying to figure it out from there. A wee metal clip came off last night aswell which looks like it might be quite important and we're trying to put it back on.

Pictures would be fantastic thanks for all your help with this, it's a total nightmare.

I live just outside edinburgh though I wish i did now, BMW want to charge me the usual £79 to look at at.

Thanks for all your help

Gorbash12346
9th August 2006, 07:10 AM
hehe ok plastic clip fell off ummm don't remember that happening... with any luck it's nothing major erm if you have tools there i will likely be in edinburgh on friday night i'll get the pics first though

might also try and get the tis instructions but unfortunately the pics on that are about as clear as mud lol

Suzi
9th August 2006, 03:01 PM
I'll take anything you've got with regard to instructions :)
The pulling the lever works fine on one side but on the lever side there's one metal tooth bit that trails stopping it from moving. You can see the lever is trying to do its job but something is stopping it from pulling up one of the teeth.

Thanks again Gorbash.

Gorbash12346
10th August 2006, 06:44 AM
bit annoyed what looked like an ok pic has turned out to be crap so i've tried to draw in dsomething in paint (excuse my shaky hand i am using a trackball mouse :( i'll have another go at getting a pic 2moz , can't believe i messed it up lol)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/Gorbash12346/DSC00022edit.jpg

Gorbash12346
10th August 2006, 06:45 AM
also make sure the finger is not bent...... arghh my poor paint skills :(

Suzi
10th August 2006, 07:11 AM
Hiya,

OK, I (my dad and Ian K) can half breath a sigh of relief, the wee metal clip thing that fell off that i thought looked quite important (god im such a girl) was in fact vital for the functioning of the rails and lever. It pulls together the rail bit and the lever bit (is that too technical a description? :p). I think this must have come loose in the passenger seat. Thats now working better than ever.

However I think the driver seat has the problem for which you have so kindly drawn me the diagram for :) I'll (my dad and I) will have another shot tomorrow with your diagram. Drawing with a mouse is a nightmare, well done.

Love the colour coding by the way!

Gorbash12346
11th August 2006, 02:22 AM
had to be done :P i got a better pic 2day as well lol out of a factory fresh ridiculously fully loaded mcs

here are some pics i hope are a little more helpful than my p*ss poor paint drawings hehe

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/Gorbash12346/DSC00024.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/Gorbash12346/DSC00025.jpg

Gorbash12346
11th August 2006, 02:22 AM
better?

Suzi
11th August 2006, 03:46 PM
Gorbash.

You're a star. I've printed them out and my dad and I will have a go tonight. I actually think my passenger seat slides better than it ever has, the wee metal clip must have been slipping for some time.

Thanks for all your help!

Suzi

Gorbash12346
12th August 2006, 04:00 AM
np's glad i could help

Suzi
13th August 2006, 02:32 AM
All fixed :D:D:D

Thanks for all your help Gorbash :)