PDA

View Full Version : Help - Changing over airbag

Suzi
4th August 2006, 03:12 AM
I'm currently in the process of changing a few bits and bobs on my ONE. I'm about to buy a 2-spoke leather steering wheel to replace my existing kak plastic 2-spoke wheel. Neither wheels are multifunction.

What I'm wondering is, when i change the airbag over from my plastic wheel to the leather wheel will i need to get bmw to reset my airbag code - providing the battery has been switched off for 10mins or however long.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Mini Me
4th August 2006, 04:08 AM
it must be reset by the dealer ,i may be wrong , but i'm sure there are a couple of different air bags....worth checking out.

Suzi
4th August 2006, 04:20 AM
Sorry, i should have made myself a bit clearer, my fault.

The wheel I'm getting has no airbag and I'll be taking my airbag and puting it into the new wheel - will i need to get the code reset even though I'm using my original airbag?

X30YES
4th August 2006, 04:28 AM
Disconnect the neg (-)Black lead on the battery .If you mail me and I can send you the instructions (pdf)

Suzi
4th August 2006, 04:29 AM
Angus, you are a true legend and for this I promise to come on a run at some point :cool:

Just mailing you now...

Suzi

Gismo
4th August 2006, 04:30 AM
I'm sure John's done this and didn't have any issues with the light, but, as you've mentioned, do not switch the ignition on, even to unlock the steering during the operation ;)
Even if it does go on, it's a simple trip to the dealer to investigate the dodgy light ;)

Suzi
4th August 2006, 04:33 AM
Cool, sounds promising. I've heard horror stories on mini2 about people getting charged stupid money to get the light switched off and since I'm in edinburgh with oh so reliable dealers close by (cough cough) I know I'd have to pay something to get it turned off.

X30YES
4th August 2006, 05:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Suzi

Angus, you are a true legend and for this I promise to come on a run at some point :cool:

Just mailing you now...

Suzi
I know the runs are good but !!!:p;)

ps dont forget to keep the wheels straight and line up the marks /arrows on the col etc

Suzi
4th August 2006, 05:25 AM
Ok, Thanks angus.

It looks like i wont need to phone BMW providing the battery is disconnected and i keep the key away from the ignition.

Cross your fingers and your toes for me :p

Suzi
4th August 2006, 05:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland
Even if it does go on, it's a simple trip to the dealer to investigate the dodgy light ;)

Hehe I like your style :D

X30YES
4th August 2006, 05:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by Suzi

Ok, Thanks angus.

It looks like i wont need to phone BMW providing the battery is disconnected and i keep the key away from the ignition.

Cross your fingers and your toes for me :p
If you disconnect the battery It'll no start anyway :p;):D:approve:

Gorbash12346
6th August 2006, 08:28 AM
it's alright what we have to do in the dealership is d/c the battery and do it otherwise the cooper s steering wheels are a git as ur constantly setting the horn off when ur doing it and people get a bit annoyed hehe if it doesn't come with an airbag does it come with a plug in resistor to make sure the airbag warning light doesn't come on??? because if it doesn't it means all your multiple restraint system devices (MRS) will be inactive had to do something similar with x30yes' car as the side airbags where ditched and to stop the light coming on without messing about with the wiring we had to get a code sent from bmw via their puma measures system to deactivate them on the upside whoever owns the car outside the warranty period is going to be saving themselves countles £'s on wiring repars for the side airbags lol

X30YES
6th August 2006, 03:22 PM
re seat air bags ,you can also use this module (http://www.minimaniauk.com/web/Item/NMA1202/InvDetail.cfm)and no need for a code or dealer visit