PDA

View Full Version : Wheel /tyre dilemma

whitemini54
3rd August 2006, 07:16 PM
Sum F***ing twat has either left screws lying on the road for innocent drivers to drive over or has deliberately rammed a screw into each of my rear tyres, as u can tell this has annoyed my slightly, but I am now facing a dilemma, obviously I need to get 2new tyres, but Im going to las vegas in 4 weeks so I dont really wanna stump up for 2 new tyres, but im goona have to shell out for sumthing, so wat do u think I should do? here are my options:

1- Buy 2 new goodyear eagle nct5 runflats (£186 fully fitted at a local garage)

2- Buy 4 new runflats of a better brand (suggestions and prices would be grand:) )

3- Buy 4 non-runflats of lower profile tyres (currently on 195/55/16)

4- Buy new wheels and tyre package and get shiney new rims as well as new tyres, but would be non runflat, was thinking of this http://swtyres.co.uk/specials/20 package

Wat to do wat to do:(

duncan
3rd August 2006, 07:35 PM
Is getting the punctures repaired not possible?

ianking
3rd August 2006, 07:45 PM
If I were you I wouldnt bother with run flat tyres. They are too hard and bouncy. As soon as my tyres are finished im buying proper normal tyres. As your car is a one model it will prob have the foam and air compressor in the boot which means you will be fine. Remember the standard 15 inch tyres are not runflats.
The 17 inch package looks good though.
Where you going in Vegas. I was there at New Year. Was staying at the Stratosphere. It was ok but if I go back I would like to stay at Cesars Palace.

Gismo
3rd August 2006, 11:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking
As your car is a one model it will prob have the foam and air compressor in the boot which means you will be fine. Not strictly true, i had normal tyres on my S and had the kit you mention, was no use when i had a puncture in Pitlochry on a run, had to get mini assist to get me home :( the foam stuff simply went through the side wall, i will never change from runflats

illegalhunter
4th August 2006, 12:25 AM
i would get normaql tyres and tyre weld and 12v inflator

duncan
4th August 2006, 01:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

i will never change from runflats

I'm with you on that one. Having changed a flat, that was half off the rim in the rain, at the side of the A90 with a works van, i'd never take runflats off my MINI.

quote:Originally posted by ianking

As your car is a one model it will prob have the foam and air compressor in the boot which means you will be fine. Remember the standard 15 inch tyres are not runflats.

Ones can come with 16s and larger as options dont forget.

X30YES
4th August 2006, 01:36 AM
One problem you might run into is when you trade the car in , running non run flats and non BMW wheels ,SOME dealers want all original wheels and rubber....and a good tread bepth as well .I'm sure this will be cleared up by the "experts" in that field soon :p

Gorbash12346
4th August 2006, 02:28 AM
we take most of the cars in with non standard wheels no problem their a little harder to sell but as long as their not hideous it's usually not a problem chrome vault wheels for instance do not help when selling a car (they're now sitting in storage @ work) though a car a while back i'm not sure if it was sum1's on here had fox rs3's and that near enough as soon as it arrived (they suit the car quite well)

whitemini54
4th August 2006, 06:38 AM
Hmmm, I think that i mite just get two new runflats for the time being to be honest, cos I mite change to the new mini wen it comes out so I would probably take aftermarket wheels off wen I gave it back which would mean i'd have to get new tyres for the mini wheels anyway, and I dont have the foam and compressor in my boot, which I didnt know you could get, so dont fancy gettin a flat and not being able to 'run-on'
Anyone know how long u can ride on a runflat cos I cant get my new tyres fitted til tuesday :(:mad:

Thanks for all your input tho ;)

On anuther note, anyone in the know any idea wen dealers will have info on the new mini hatch

illegalhunter
4th August 2006, 06:40 AM
you should have took the alloys is was selling brand new run flats 4 sold on ebay for £240

Craig
4th August 2006, 06:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by whitemini54

On anuther note, anyone in the know any idea wen dealers will have info on the new mini hatch

I am told the brochures etc will be available at the end of Sept... :approve::approve:

whitemini54
5th August 2006, 07:06 AM
got my tyre today.....£104:eek: couldnae be arsed waitin til tuesday to get sum delivered so just went and got 1 fitted, the other rear tyre is fine, screw just 'damaged' the sidewall a wee bit, and its a relatively new tyre so was advised just to leave it...

Was a bit pissed off so went in to fairbairns and put my name on the list for a new mini :D

Apparently the sales guys are goin on a training course at the end of aug/beg of sept and the new cooper/cooper 's' will be ready for delivery by november...is this true mini boffins?

ELFMAN
5th August 2006, 08:14 AM
“Was a bit pissed off so went in to fairbairns and put my name on the list for a new mini”

Jeez! That was a wee bit of an over-reaction to a puncture surely!!!!!!! Tho I suppose you do get four new tyres with it.

ps Only Kiddin'!

whitemini54
6th August 2006, 02:40 AM
No no, your right, i did over-react.....but it made me feel loads better :D

ELFMAN
6th August 2006, 05:42 AM
I always find a nice big mug of tea and an episode of "Extras" makes me feel loads better.....but if you must.....

Glad you got it sorted.