PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing Alloys....DIY?

DJBlack
3rd August 2006, 04:22 AM
Hi Folks

Just bought a MCS, and the lips of the alloys have the occasional scuff. The marks are minor in most folks eyes, but I take pride in the wheels and prefer them spotless.

So, I have seen several companies doing "at your place" repairs... and have seen really good work indestinguishable from as new.

In the past I have had wheels power coated, but at the price, the option of that makes me think of new alloys... which, as the wheels I have (17" S spokes (I think they are called - a bit like old minilites)I really like, would be a waste.

So, going back to refurb - has anyone made rim repairs and got away with the end result?

I am not sure if a wheel respray is best, or do folks get a paint match to just re-touch?

I have no problem breaking the bead and pushing the tyre back to do a repair/mask/spray on them.,.. just dont want to end up with scruffy wheels in 3000 miles ..again...

Other option is to buy new wheels the same style and ebay these ones... which would get past the wife... and I am sure someone would be very happy with my old ones!

Any thoughts?

DJ

The Dogfather
3rd August 2006, 04:31 AM
If you hang around here long enough somebody usually has a set on offer in the for sale section.

Welcome to NMS :D