PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

macblob
4th December 2003, 03:47 AM
Just got a renewal quote from MINI Cover insurance.

Quote is pretty good at £393 fully comp, with protected no claims, however, they want an extra £40 for 3 points (sp30) and another £60 for an induction kit. So total cost is £497. Does this seem too much or reasonable?

Also they no longer offer legal assistance as BMW dealers apparently offer that now, so Id need to get legal assistance cover from BMW. Phoned MINI cove back to comfirm what is happening to Legal cover and it is automatically covered by BMW when insured with them apparently. (Seem to get a different story everytime you speak to them, however it is now noted on my policy so should be ok )
Is it important to have legal cover?

Opinions and advice welcomed. BTW all other insurance companies ive tried so far have been more expensive
Cheers Brian

KenL
4th December 2003, 07:19 AM
I've been with Directline for eons and they are always the cheapest for me as I usually shop around each year. They have advised that you can get your MINI repaired at any chosen garage which is good.

£60 for an induction kit seems steep especially as they don't do that much for performance - do they :p

Vosh
9th December 2003, 07:44 AM
Have you tried elephant.co.uk? It's who I'm looking at using once the car arrives. Been given a quote of £450 FC and I've not had insurance for almost 10yrs. Seems okay. Seems spectacular compared with the £1300 the AA quoted!!!

Gismo
9th December 2003, 08:03 AM
Hmm, not knocking them, but, i would advise you go here:-
http://www.mini2.com//forum/showthread.php?t=41373&highlight=elephant+insurance

Read that and see what you think :(

Bonnie Scotland

Vosh
9th December 2003, 09:19 AM
Damnit!! That's put a bit if a large spanner in the works. I'll need to phone and see what they say and then more than likely start my lengthy quote search once again. Cheers for the link!

Quik_Mini
10th December 2003, 07:19 AM
Lol I wish I could get insured for that kind of money, I think its 1500 for me fully comp on a Cooper and 2200 for a Cooper S...

2 x SP30
1 x Lisence Revocation because the 2 SP 30's were in my 1st 2 years of driving.

:( :( :(

I hate Greenock for that the traffic police are so bad there, 43 in a 40 just going into a 30 and then the time after that 37 in a 30 just 100 more yards into the 30 this time :(

Julz
10th December 2003, 05:10 PM
My goodness, you are a naughty little person!!!:eek: Ever thought of investing in a Road Angel, they work by the fact that once you spend £393 on one, all the traffic cops and mobile units disappear!! Our area was plagued with them, so I bought an RA and since I've installed it, they've all run away!!:p:D

Duncan Stewart
10th December 2003, 05:37 PM
Hi Julz
I've thought about the road angle and like the idea of the GPS speed readout - how does this compare to what your speedo reads? .I'm told car speedos can pretty inaccurate which is not good when the police are doing people for only 1 or 2 mph above the speed limit.

GAJ
10th December 2003, 05:52 PM
I believe the police don't prosecute unless you are doing at least 10% more than the speed limit due to inaccuracies of car speedometers.

Julz
10th December 2003, 06:00 PM
It appears that my speedo reads about 3mph less than that on the Road Angel, sometimes the RA is a few seconds late on giving out your speeds but I let it away with that as the satellites are very far away!!:p But when I'm tootling along at say 30mph, the RA usually reads about 27mph, so it would appear the mini speedo is on the safe side!!

GAJ
10th December 2003, 06:35 PM
Julz, that seems about right, car speedos normally err on the side of caution. You won't catch me speeding, although the police did, they liked my car that much that they took it's photo from their special van and charged me £60 quid for the privilege! I thought I was caught again in Edinburgh the weekend before last and that would have been a sore one - got flashed at about 9pm on Saturday having just overtaken a lorry and whilst doing about 50 in a 30. No brown envelope yet though. < touches wood and promises never to do it again >

Julz
10th December 2003, 06:38 PM
Apparently if you don't receive anything within 17 days of the naughtiness, the charge is void!! Rob had a bit of a panic after our trip down south and did a wee bit of research!!:eek::approve:

GAJ
10th December 2003, 07:02 PM
day 11 and counting...

Duncan Stewart
10th December 2003, 07:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I believe the police don't prosecute unless you are doing at least 10% more than the speed limit due to inaccuracies of car speedometers.

That was always my understanding but Quik Mini says he got done for 43 in a 40 and I have heard of people getting done for 31 in a thirty which is utterly ridiculous :clown::clown:. Dunno about other areas but around Glenrothes / Markinch where I work they have changed loads of 60's to 40's and 30's and 70's to 50's for no reason so you never know what sodding speed you are supposed to be doing anyway :mad::dead::(

GAJ
10th December 2003, 08:15 PM
I think he says 43 in a 40 going into a 30. I think the police probably prosecuted for doing 43 in a 30.

seany
10th December 2003, 09:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

i agree with gaj, that the police can not prosecute, unless you are doing more than 10% the speed limit.

ie 30 zone more than 33mph
70 zone more than 77mph

seany
10th December 2003, 10:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

It appears that my speedo reads about 3mph less than that on the Road Angel, sometimes the RA is a few seconds late on giving out your speeds but I let it away with that as the satellites are very far away!!:p But when I'm tootling along at say 30mph, the RA usually reads about 27mph, so it would appear the mini speedo is on the safe side!!

i have a road angel and i have to agree with julz, that it reads between 3 and 5 mph, between the two

Quik_Mini
11th December 2003, 12:40 AM
yea I was just going from the 40 into the 30 like just passing the sign, as soon as I had passed it, lights on "PULL OVER".

Got the Snooper Neo6 now though hehehe, both parts, radar detector and GPS readout (um actually sorry mr policeman what I meant to say is I have them but they are not operational) **whistles quietly to self**

macblob
11th December 2003, 01:50 AM
I got done doing 48 in a 30 :eek:, by a mobile camera unit, never even knew anything about it till i got the envelope in the door :disapprove:

Thankfully only got 3 points and a 60 quid fine, thought i might get 6 for being that much over the limit

Quik_Mini
11th December 2003, 06:18 AM
Ouch that one had to hurt, would have been nasty if you had got 6 points.

Wish there will still loopholes in the system like the old Irish one... Was quite comical actully, if you were banned from driving here you could go take a test in Ireland and if you passed you would then be able to drive over here again, but that one has been cut out now.