PDA

View Full Version : Calling Excel Geeks

Gismo
27th July 2006, 05:58 AM
I'm the scorer for my annual golf outing and this year have 10 guys scores to keep an eye on, we will be playing 6 rounds of golf all on different courses.
We have an eclectic where the best score at each hole is recorded for a best gross and a best nett.
I have a wee table for each round played recording each score at each hole for everyone and also a final table that i update to show the best score achieved, it's very time consuming looking through the previous scores.
Since i've forgotten, does any one know the command to look at each holes score and record the lowest score made :question:
By that i mean, given 6 rounds of golf we will play each hole 6 times :p:I on day one the 6th hole may be a par 5 but on round 4 it may be a par 3 ;)
If anyone can help it would be much appreciated :cool:

Burple
27th July 2006, 07:05 AM
Err, off the top of me head, (sorry if it's long winded) you can use the MIN and MAX functions to compare a selection of cells, and output the MIN or MAX number from each. For example (assuming you keep the players in the same order) you can select the appropriate cells in each table and use the function on just the ones you want..

Look at the attached excel sheet (took all of 2 mins :D)

*make your tables first, and add in all the player and hole details. Do you know about the Fill Handle at the bottom right of the selected cell? the wee black sqaure at the bottom right of every cell you select? If you use numbers in your list, you only have to fill in the first couple, and let excel do the work. Highlight the first couple of numbered cells, put the cursor over the fill handle and drag it down (or across) it should continue the seried for you - saves a lot of time.
*organise the cells that you want the minimum and maximum scores to be - like on the one I did (use the fill handle again to make it less tedious
*the calculations - in the format of =MIN(B4:G4) - or MAX. Each one is the range of cells you want to compare You can use the fill handle to copy these down the side of the table too like I did.. :)
*Then just fill in the scores as you go along (or off the cards if you still use a pencil:D)

Here's a wee
Example (http://www.upload2.net/page/download/mYrLdFgFxvGKAiS/Book1.xls.html)

Hope that's wot you're looking for :D

Gismo
27th July 2006, 07:37 AM
Cheers Ewan, yep, i know about the fill handle, it's just that i've forgotten the command for checking the cells and allowing Excel to show the lowest (min) score from 6 cells :I
sadly, the BP websense won't allow me to download you're file, can you send it direct to my e-mail address :question:

Gismo
27th July 2006, 07:40 AM
Ah, Ewan, i think the min command will work nicely :approve: well done, how on earth did i forget that easy command :I

Burple
27th July 2006, 08:31 AM
It's easy! Amazing what you forget when you don't have to use something for a while :I

Excel's alright when you know exactly what you want to tell it to do! :I:D