PDA

View Full Version : COOPER S ROLLING ROAD POER OUTPUTS

tonyp
25th July 2006, 05:40 AM
I had My Cooper S at AVA in Glasgow on Saturday(22nd JULY) and put it on the Rolling Road for a Tune-Up Session as I thought car was guzzling bit too much petrol (Approx 240miles from £40).
Good news was that car is running perfect and got a nice flowing graph. Bad news is that the wee bugger's a bit of a guzzler!!!!
I was a bit disppointed at the Power Output as we only got a maximum of 126.4 BHP at the wheels, which is approx a maximum of 147 BHP. The guys monitored the Intercooler Outlet Temperature at 57 degrees which is about 20 degrees hotter than the ideal running temperature. It has been very warm recently this may be a factor. Has anyone else had their Cooper S on the Rolling Road??? or any advice on cooling down air temperature without going crazy???
Car is Totally Standard however i have a performance exhaust manufactured by Stainless Creations which I will be fitting and re-testing in the next 2 weeks - Will post results when done..

euan
25th July 2006, 05:45 AM
I always found mine car was slower in the heat, always put it down to the intercooler and the air con.

There was a guy on M2 who fitted a water system like they have on some of the Evos to cool the intercooler, think he was in the US.

AndyP & Lenore
25th July 2006, 05:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by tonyp

I had My Cooper S at AVA in Glasgow on Saturday(22nd JULY) and put it on the Rolling Road for a Tune-Up Session as I thought car was guzzling bit too much petrol (Approx 240miles from £40).
Good news was that car is running perfect and got a nice flowing graph. Bad news is that the wee bugger's a bit of a guzzler!!!!
I was a bit disppointed at the Power Output as we only got a maximum of 126.4 BHP at the wheels, which is approx a maximum of 147 BHP. The guys monitored the Intercooler Outlet Temperature at 57 degrees which is about 20 degrees hotter than the ideal running temperature. It has been very warm recently this may be a factor. Has anyone else had their Cooper S on the Rolling Road??? or any advice on cooling down air temperature without going crazy???
Car is Totally Standard however i have a performance exhaust manufactured by Stainless Creations which I will be fitting and re-testing in the next 2 weeks - Will post results when done..

Tony, I don't know what set up AVA have. Do they sit the car in a virtual wind tunnel while on the rolling road? Dastek in Dalgetty Bay have a rolling road and they blast air towards the car in a controlled environment simulating the car travelling at over 100mph. If AVA don't do this, in this weather especially, you're bound to get an overheating situation arising. Don't want to accuse AVA of not knowing what they are doing, just thought I'd ask and point it out.:)

A.

tonyp
25th July 2006, 06:22 AM
Yes AVA have the wind tunnel as well!!!!

AndyP & Lenore
25th July 2006, 06:27 AM

Phew.

OK.:D

euan
25th July 2006, 06:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Phew.

That your impression of the wind tunnel? ;) Need a bit more puff I think!

tonyp
25th July 2006, 07:00 AM
I Think I need a Hurricane to cool it down, especially in this weather!!! However I cannot believe that the mini will only run at full potential in the cool weather. Do BMW only sell these cars in cool climates???? Would re-mapping it help to cope with the heat?? anybody know??

AndyP & Lenore
25th July 2006, 07:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by euan

quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Phew.

That your impression of the wind tunnel? ;) Need a bit more puff I think!

:D

The Dogfather
25th July 2006, 07:43 AM
Is it just forced induction cars that suffer from the heat:question:

I think the Omega has been down on power recently, I was thinking that the LPG system might have been playing up in the heat.

AndyP & Lenore
25th July 2006, 07:46 AM

I Think I need a Hurricane to cool it down, especially in this weather!!! However I cannot believe that the mini will only run at full potential in the cool weather. Do BMW only sell these cars in cool climates???? Would re-mapping it help to cope with the heat?? anybody know??

Tony.

PM sent.

Keith
25th July 2006, 03:40 PM
The heat could be a factor. But I have always been told to take rolling road figures with a pinch of salt. They are good for a guideline but from my experience the outputs can vary quite a lot.

Mon the fish
26th July 2006, 01:53 AM
Pretty simple physics - heat makes things expand, so for a given volume of air, there are less molecules in said volume if it's hotter.

Therefore, less air enters the engine when the air is hotter, meaning the injectors put less fuel in to match the air, less fuel and less air = lower power.

As well as ambient air temp being higher (and reducing power), forcing it through a supercharger makes it very warm. The intercooler does its best to cool it down, but it'll never take the air back down to ambient temperature.

So in short, the hotter it is outside, the less power you get. Hope this helps :)

tonyp
5th August 2006, 08:58 AM
Cheers for all your replies guys. I am fitting my Stainless System (Which is up FOR SALE by the way) on next Saturday and will be taking it to the Rolling Road to get some power figures and will post them. Think I might get about 15BHP extra!!!