PDA

View Full Version : raging

soopercooper
24th July 2006, 02:53 AM
i came in from work today and parked my car outside my house as i usually do with the handbrake on.and about 20 mins later my neighbour came to the door and said your car has hit my wall,his house is about 100yards away,is there a common handbrake fault.my axle is bent bumper damaged and bonnet damaged.i am soo pissed off.i cant beleive it.spent ages polishing it and was looking awesome,ready to get my new wheels on 2moro,il need to claim the old insurance.raaaage

Sweeney
24th July 2006, 03:04 AM
I believe there has been loads of handbrake failure cases... After i read the 3rd i made it a habbit to always leave it in gear! In most/all cases i believe the dealers have simply used the "leave it in gear" response, of course anyone it's happened to (that ive read) hasn't left it in gear.

sedgie
24th July 2006, 03:10 AM
och thats p$$h....but as i live on a hill i always leave my mini in gear!;)

illegalhunter
24th July 2006, 03:28 AM
this happened to me years ago in my opel kaddet it rolled down a hill into a wall wrecked the wall and the back of the car i no hhow you feel i always leave in gear now

Mini Me
24th July 2006, 04:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by soopercooper

il need to claim the old insurance.raaaage

Hold on, speak to your dealer(service manager), there was a problem with some handbrakes a while back ,and i can NOW say ,i have seen BMW pay for these repairs if it was a fault:eek::blackeye:

any probs pm me...
i'll email my work address, cos im in Crew till wednesday:eightball:

AndyP & Lenore
24th July 2006, 04:36 AM
Thats a real sh!tter.:eek::(:(:(

See also this thread from Lesley12 (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6929)

gill
24th July 2006, 05:01 AM
That's really bad .... :mad:

Haven't heard about any problems with the handbrakes, but I'll b more careful now!

3GGG
24th July 2006, 05:58 AM
There was quite a lot of cases of this reported on Mini2 a couple of years ago. I'd definitely get it checked out.
Leaving it in gear is still the best idea. Only thing is some folks forget and try and start it without depressing the clutch, assuming it is in Neutral. 2 great habits to get into, always park in gear and always depress the clutch when starting even if you know it is in neutral.

The Dogfather
24th July 2006, 06:09 AM
My MINI rolled off the drive once. The rear discs can't get very hot and when you park up they cool and shrink effectively letting some of the pressure off allowing the car to roll if on a step hill.

I always made a point of pulling the handbrake an extra notch, trouble is that was probably stretching the cable :(

I don't think MINIs are alone in this though Citroen had a problem with the ZX as well.

Gismo
24th July 2006, 05:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal BuffoonThe rear discs can't get very hotI think that's "CAN" :I

Big Col
24th July 2006, 05:11 PM
But the handbrake doesn't work on the disc does it? I thought there was a wee drum brake in the hub? I'm probably talking rubbish though.

KINGHORN
24th July 2006, 05:26 PM
yes col you sure are, the rear caliper is set up for both hydralic(foot brake) And cable(hand brake) functions

The Dogfather
24th July 2006, 05:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
But the handbrake doesn't work on the disc does it? I thought there was a wee drum brake in the hub? I'm probably talking rubbish though.

Why should today be any different?

Big Col
24th July 2006, 06:05 PM
Hey ho. Glad I didn't spoil my run.

minidriver#1
25th July 2006, 02:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by sedgie

och thats p$$h....but as i live on a hill i always leave my mini in gear!;)

I thought that was the done thing these days. Its what I do if i'm parked on any sort of slope.

Big Col
25th July 2006, 03:35 PM
Oooh get the salt well in there guys! ;)

euan
25th July 2006, 04:13 PM
I never leave the car in gear, after I did it once and forgot, nearly wiped out the car in front.

Big Col
25th July 2006, 04:17 PM
<waits for some smug git helpful person to point out they always start the car with the clutch in> :blackeye:

AndyP & Lenore
25th July 2006, 05:17 PM
<waits for some smug git helpful person to point out they always start the car with the clutch in> :blackeye:

We don't. :D

euan
25th July 2006, 05:22 PM
Wonder why!

Coop
25th July 2006, 10:30 PM

Ummmmmm......... That'll be me then :approve:

And sorry to hear of that soopercooper

ScottishCooper
26th July 2006, 09:49 PM
Jez :eek:!! I never leave mine in gear, and had never heard about this problem either. Know what I will be doing from now on though ;)

Sweeney
26th July 2006, 09:52 PM
Neither had i until a few months ago, been leaving any vehicle i drive in gear now

Crombers
27th July 2006, 02:58 AM
Sorry to hear about this , but leaving your car in gear (always) as this old codger does is a sure fire way to avoid any nasties ;)

Gismo
27th July 2006, 03:06 AM
Never ever start your car up with the clutch engaged, in or out of gear :evil:
I always leave my car in gear :approve: even more so on inclines ;) but, I never use the hand brake on the flat especially when it's parked up while i'm away over seas :p

Crombers
28th July 2006, 07:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Why's that Alan :question:

Gismo
28th July 2006, 07:27 AM
quote:Originally posted by crombers
Why's that Alan :question:Because you're putting undue pressure through the clutch pressure plate and release bearing and can result in a worn clutch plate if done often enough.
It's the same as sitting at traffic lights waiting for them to change to green or sitting in a queues with the clutch depressed all the time

Big Col
28th July 2006, 03:01 PM
So is it a bad thing to be starting the car and sitting in traffic with the clutch in:question:

Gismo
29th July 2006, 01:13 AM
So is it a bad thing to be starting the car and sitting in traffic with the clutch in:question:It's not the end of the world, but, yes, by doing so will wear the clutch parts quicker, how long depends on how often you do it etc

Big Col
29th July 2006, 02:06 AM
I thought it was better for the car. Well there you go. Everyday's a schoolday.

Mon the fish
29th July 2006, 04:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I always leave my car in gear :approve: even more so on inclines ;) but, I never use the hand brake on the flat especially when it's parked up while i'm away over seas :p

I have heard from a mechanic that it actually puts more stress on the crankshaft when starting with the clutch in. Less stress on the starter motor though, because it's not having to turn over half the gearbox.

Mine's is in the garage just now, in 3rd with no handbrake on :)

stoney
29th July 2006, 10:36 PM
well thats all new 2 me i have allways put the cluch in when starting as i got told when i did my IAM training that u should start ur car with the cluch in incase of problems and the car jerks forward ect ect but think i will be stoping doing this as i dont want 2 be putting a cluch in the wee baby !!!!

lightbody
29th July 2006, 10:48 PM
I always leave my car in gear and always apply the handbrake relatively gently.

It comes from owning classic Minis for years and the handbrake was usually pretty hopeless.

The Mk2 MINI is not going to let you start it without your foot on the clutch. But I always do that out of habit anyway, as in the old days it would help the engine start.