PDA

View Full Version : "A " pillar trim

jayex
23rd July 2006, 07:08 AM
wondering if anyone has fitted one of these pillar trims and whether or not it was a simple job? - just noticed my driver side one is all split and cracked, so need to order a new one - am not sure whether to just order the part and try to fit it myself ( and save a few pounds ) or just book it into BMW to have the job done ( and prob pay a small fortune ) :eek:8)

Cooper_si
23rd July 2006, 07:10 AM
You mite need to state wether its a inner or outer a pillar trim ;)

jayex
23rd July 2006, 07:18 AM
:I oh....Its the outer trim - the black plastic bity in between the windscreen and the driver window :p

Cooper_si
23rd July 2006, 07:32 AM
Im sure they are just clipped into place....see the following with a breakdown of what parts thats involved...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=RE32&mospid=48020&btnr=51_4275&hg=51&fg=20

john
23rd July 2006, 07:25 PM
Easy job;)

pull off the door seal to get to the screws,undo the screws and unclip the tim:)

jayex
23rd July 2006, 07:42 PM
;) Cheers John - i think even i can manage that :I will just order the part then
thanks again for your help :cool:

MartinSullivan
24th July 2006, 04:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by jayex

;) Cheers John - i think even i can manage that :I will just order the part then

Oh Oh Fatal last words ;)

jayex
28th July 2006, 01:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

quote:Originally posted by jayex

Oh Oh Fatal last words ;)

Yip afraid so - went to order the part from BMW and was told that he wouldn't advise fitting fom anyone exept bmw as you need to seal it with some "special suff" (cant remember the name) to stop water getting in ? - is this right or just a load of pants! :eek:

Sweeney
28th July 2006, 02:24 AM
probably will need to seal it, but the sealant will most likely be widely available from any hardware store, find out what it is they use...

They are obviously going to tell you not to fit it yourself as they want the 2 hours labour for a 10min job ;)

john
28th July 2006, 06:13 AM
What a load of B0LL0CKS!!!!!!

jayex
28th July 2006, 08:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

What a load of B0LL0CKS!!!!!!

so no sealant needed John?.. if its just the screws and the poppers i will give it a bash :D - was put off tho by the sealant and leaking water part :disapprove:

Gorbash12346
3rd August 2006, 06:17 AM
it's not that the trim needs sealer but rather the small bit of trim above this that completes the roof gutter there is a small plastic clip that holds the front of it in with a urethanewashe.. this washer is supposed to be relaced and coated with some stuff we have in a tube @ work to make sure it seals otherwise you get waterleaks onto your bc1 control unit (not good news trust me lol) as for fitting the glossy black trim just make sure you position the foam correctly and be very gentle with clipping it on take your time to line it up as they are extremely easy to break if you need to remove it to re0align it