PDA

View Full Version : Spray touch-up paint

Suzi
22nd July 2006, 08:22 PM
Does anyone know if you can buy a spray can of paint from mini? I need to spray a bit of my car and got touch up pain from halfords with a hideously wee brush and its going on like flour and water, I'm quitting before i end up with mini quazzimodo.

If you can get a spray can how much is it for a can?

Cheers,

Suzi

X30YES
22nd July 2006, 08:50 PM
I take it its stone chips your trying to cover up ??

Suzi
22nd July 2006, 08:55 PM
Yeah, theres a few close together and I'm also gonna try to spray the black plastic rung on the lower part of the grill as I've fitted an electric blue grill on top. I figured its such a small area that no coachworks would take it on.

I'll be masking taping everything, its a risky thing to do.

The guy at Dundein was meant to phone me back and let me know but he never..

AndyP & Lenore
22nd July 2006, 09:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Suzi

Yeah, theres a few close together and I'm also gonna try to spray the black plastic rung on the lower part of the grill as I've fitted an electric blue grill on top. I figured its such a small area that no coachworks would take it on.

I'll be masking taping everything, its a risky thing to do.

The guy at Dundein was meant to phone me back and let me know but he never..

Suzi, to be honest, if your having to mask anything it sounds like it's a job any coach works would definitely take on. Even the small jobs are income for any business.

I've never heard of a spray can from a dealer. I know what you mean about the brush thingy being useless. We use a toothpick or a cocktail stick when we're touching up our paint. It gives you much more control. makes the job much easier.

A.:D

Suzi
22nd July 2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks Andy.

The guy at dundein said they do a spray can but it needs to be ordered, he was phoning back with the details..but it never happened.

I think I'll take your advice and get a few quotes from coachworks.

Cheers,

Suzi

ianking
23rd July 2006, 12:42 AM
Suzz
go speak to big Laurence. He is the man whe it comes to painting cars, as you know from your previous dealings with him.

Ian

Suzi
23rd July 2006, 02:34 AM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

Suzz
go speak to big Laurence. He is the man whe it comes to painting cars, as you know from your previous dealings with him.

Ian

I didnt know if it would be a big enough job for him though? Worth asking i suppose.

euan
24th July 2006, 04:37 PM
Andy, How do you do the toothpick trick? I need to touch up some stone chips on my bonnet but am a little worried about it.

KenL
24th July 2006, 04:49 PM
A spray can is unlikely to be a good match for the paint. Also, it is not easy to get a good coat with no runs unless you are well practiced at it.

Big Col
24th July 2006, 05:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Andy, How do you do the toothpick trick? I need to touch up some stone chips on my bonnet but am a little worried about it.

You just dip the stick in the paint, let the excess run off then touch the toothpick lightly in the centre of the chip or scratch. The paint is then drawn into the chip or scratch by capilary action which makes a dead neat job. If you want a finer point than the tothpick you can either sharpen it more or break it. :)

euan
24th July 2006, 05:22 PM
"capilary action" ??

You been reading word of the day toilet paper again? :)

Only kidding, thanks for that, I'll need to try it later!

KenL
24th July 2006, 10:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

quote:Originally posted by euan

You just dip the stick in the paint, let the excess run off then touch the toothpick lightly in the centre of the chip or scratch. The paint is then drawn into the chip or scratch by capilary action which makes a dead neat job. If you want a finer point than the tothpick you can either sharpen it more or break it. :)

I think gravity is the more likely physical force at work here :approve: Check this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action

If I am right, the paint will run to the bottom of the chip (on non-horizontal panels) and won't look perfect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capillary_action