PDA

View Full Version : saw the GP at london motorshow

Scottie
21st July 2006, 10:53 PM
at last saw the GP today.

have decided it is not the car for me.

looks excellent from outside but that rear spoiler is just bonded on the rear glass.

as I thought it was the interior is just to dam plain for me.

I couldn't help but notice the tin sound as you closed the doors it is amazing the difference sound deading obviously makes. the rear space is a bit of a let down for me

the seats are cracking as is the dials. for the people buying the car I think it will have been a smart choice

but for someone like me who is all about what trim and cadgets can I have then it is not a smart choice anyway I would never be able to drive the car in the way that is needed to appreciate no sound deading etc I would always be wishing I had this on it or that on it.

however I am still getting shot of the silver mini saw a different make of car that took my eye.

Sweeney
21st July 2006, 11:04 PM
Well at least you've made your mind up and done the smart thing :)

Geez a shout with what carbon fibre bits your selling if any when your getting rid of the silver mini pleeaaaasssseeee :D

Smitty
21st July 2006, 11:22 PM
What took your eye Fi?

Whats going to replace the S?

Sweeney
21st July 2006, 11:29 PM
civic type r i bet ;)

lightbody
22nd July 2006, 05:33 AM
You're the first person I've heard describe any aspect of the GP as plain!

Its got the brilliant silver dash, which was the original dash in all the prototypes and design studies for the car and for me is still the best.

It might have been nice for it to have some REAL carbon fibre on it though, for further weight saving...

Sweeney
22nd July 2006, 05:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

It might have been nice for it to have some REAL carbon fibre on it though, for further weight saving...

Seconded!

Can't agree more with you about that, they seem to have gone to all the trouble of having someone else get involved to save weight and only managed 50kg, plus they took the rear seats out, rear window wiper and jet etc... Weight loss to me has been more of a PR kind of thing...

Just need to look at what they done with their M3 CSL, M6 (Carbon fibre roof!), porches gt3 rs and ferrari challenge editions etc!

stoney
22nd July 2006, 05:44 AM
me 2 for the carbon fiber fi {:)] sweeney u have enuf for urs !;) i would love 2 see the gp lucky sod !!!!

Sweeney
22nd July 2006, 05:46 AM
:approve: but theres oh so much more that could carbon fibred on it rob ;)

stoney
22nd July 2006, 06:47 AM
i know but all ready said it at arbroth !!!:p

Gismo
22nd July 2006, 06:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
that rear spoiler is just bonded on the rear glassWhat :eek: as much as i like the mini :p i just don't like the GP at all and the fact the rear spoiler is bonded onto the glass is another nail in the GP coffin for me :disapprove:

stoney
22nd July 2006, 07:02 AM
i would still like a look at one i just think the look of it will be great !!!!!

Scottie
22nd July 2006, 07:24 AM
it defo looks really well in the flesh. a real drivers car it would be wasted on me and I would no doubt waste it. so better to walk away.

john
22nd July 2006, 07:54 PM
Only two more sleeps and I can't wait:)

I liked it from day one and still do:cool:

Everyone to their own:)

Craig
22nd July 2006, 10:16 PM
see it on the 6th John - looking forward to it :approve::approve:

Sweeney
22nd July 2006, 10:25 PM
The things i'd love to have from it are the dials and the wheels, the mirrors i already have ;)

Also like the air vents where the fogs would be for cooling of the brakes.

redpoint rallying
23rd July 2006, 06:09 AM
Whats wrong with a bonded on rear wing?

M

Gismo
23rd July 2006, 08:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by redpoint rallying
Whats wrong with a bonded on rear wing?I'm assuming you mean the rear spoiler :question:
Well, for me, £22k for a car that has a spoiler that is bonded to the rear screen is not on. At the very least the rear window needs a rear wiper due to the crud that always gathers there, but, interestingly now that it's known the spoiler is on the rear window then there simply cannot be any roon for a wiper.

Scottie
23rd July 2006, 06:20 PM
it is the sides of the rear spoiler about 8 inches each side that is bonded on to the rear glass. god forbide if the rear glass every got broken. think the top of the spoiler looked carbon effect but was hard to see in the glaring sun.

The Dogfather
23rd July 2006, 06:27 PM
Perhaps the design of the spoiler negates the need for a wiper:question: just like a saloon.

john
23rd July 2006, 07:23 PM
The Aero rear spioler is JUST bonded on too!!;)

Sweeney
23rd July 2006, 07:28 PM
Aero can actually be clipped on, mine was as well as bonded...

JCW is just bonded on too.

redpoint rallying
24th July 2006, 06:42 AM
Nothing wrong with bonding stuff on, it can actually be stronger than any other method of attaching things, especially bolts...they snap or pull through under pressure. Bonding uses a larger surface area of actual attatchment....

M

redpoint rallying
24th July 2006, 06:48 AM
.....remember your windscreen is bonded on too and 9 out of 10 red deer who have been run over at night, and who expressed a preference, said that bonding is really rather strong. :)

(they also prefer modern crumple zone cars too...)

M

Keith
25th July 2006, 01:54 AM
Very excited about seeing these. John you need to come out and show me it :eek: Only if I can drive though...your mental :p

I think they will hold their money for a good while, they are not overly priced in my opinion.
Have to say not ever had anyone in the back of my mini so wont really miss the rear seats....look at me convincing myself! :clown::blackeye:

Is the spoiler bonded directly to the glass? I had a genuine Focus WRC spoiler back in the day and needed to get the glass cut out to bolt it in place, it looked as though it was bonded on though. Very similar design to the GP. Just wondered :)

MartinSullivan
25th July 2006, 11:18 PM
Come on then who opened it

http://firstrung.co.uk/dbimgs/iStock_can%20of%20worms.jpg

Its not for everyone I admit - but I do still like it and regret having to chuck my deposit in. It should be a true drivers car, hence John being excited about it. As I said its not to everyones taste but life would be boring if we all thought the same.

The Dogfather
25th July 2006, 11:25 PM
I also think John has made a good decision, even if the car isn't all it's cracked up to be its a good short-term investment.

I like many others will be very jealous, lets just hope Nenah lets him have the keys ;)

The Dogfather
25th July 2006, 11:28 PM
BTW on the subject of bondage ;) I believe most aircraft wings are glued rather than bolted together.

Must be quite strong then :question:

john
28th July 2006, 06:16 AM
You can close the can and you can pull that nail out of the GP coffin cos the spoiler is NOT!! bonded on :D

Scottie
28th July 2006, 06:56 AM
quote:Originally posted by john

You can close the can and you can pull that nail out of the GP coffin cos the spoiler is NOT!! bonded on :D

John told Allan that it is not bonded on and he said if your rear spoiler sides are not bonded on to the rear window then it must be a different GP to what he saw in London:p

So if you are saying the sides of the rear spoiler is not connected to the car surely it will flap about.????