PDA

View Full Version : Classic Restoration

Smitty
21st July 2006, 07:30 PM
My mate’s sister has a lovely G reg, British Racing Green, Mini Sport, 1 litre. It has white roof, white rims and bonnet stripes. But unfortunately the poor wee thing isn’t in the best of nick:(:blackeye:

She’s needing a good bit of work:

- Inside needs completely gutted and replaced due to dampness…..its
covered in mould and even a bit of moss!!
- Front right wing and bumper needs replaced due to damage and rust
- Chrome bumpers need replaced all round.
- Rub down of all the nasty bits and a complete respray.

We’re also planning on tarting it up a little, adding some nice new bit here and there….even thinking about cooper arches, and an original dash!!:cool: Also for the future is replace the engine (150,000miles) with a 1.3 but that will be the last job!!:approve:

Anyway, its getting started tonight and no doubt I’ll be back many of time looking for a bits and bobs (bpirie……I reckon I’ll be in touch, I know you have lots of spares!!);)

In the meantime, could you classic experts point me in the direction of websites offering advice and parts please!!!:)

Thanks very muckle guys!!:D

ianking
21st July 2006, 08:38 PM
When i was restoring mine i got my replacement panels from hadrians as they are dirt cheep and fit fine.

bpirie1000
21st July 2006, 08:57 PM
bring it on... I have a brg Mini at the moment too.....

Oh how exciting..

So what you after....

P.M. Me and I'll rake the garage. Oh and I have a 1275 in stock....... with everything......carb distributor and everything...... Cheap prices for a fellow mini nutt........

Oh and I have a list of Companies that offer classic parts discount to "Aberdeen Mini Owners" ........... if that is of any use.

Smitty
21st July 2006, 09:45 PM
Brian, i have sent you an email to your hotmail account;)

Cheers mate!

Duncan Stewart
21st July 2006, 10:11 PM
Good to hear you are saving a classic :D Happy to help with any advice, opinions, etc.
When doing mine I used Somerford minis (http://www.somerford-mini.co.uk/) for all my panels - very helpful on the phone, excellent panels, quick delivery
For parts I have used
Minispares (www.minispares.com) - huge range of parts & good prices but found the service a bit dodgy at times. Loads of advice / how to articles on the website and illustrated parts lists
MiniSport (www.minisport.com) - very helpful on the phone but expensive
P&L Minis (www.plmini.com) - smaller range of parts but good prices, quick & helpful

Hope this helps & good luck :D

Smitty
26th July 2006, 10:32 PM
Well its coming along nicely so far. All bits that can come off have been removed and the rubbing down has started!:)

It has been in an accident at some point and very badly repaired:blackeye: so the floor pan needs a wee bit of work but nothing that can't be sorted!

Next job is too remove all the dodgy panels, rub down the joins and start replacing them!!:approve:

I'll get pics up soon.....just too busy having fun with it to take pics!!:D