PDA

View Full Version : Changing to normal tyres from runflats...

DJBlack
21st July 2006, 08:14 AM
Hi Guys

This is my first post, and I HAVE searched around, so please treat me gently...

I am buying my first MCS in a weeks time, and it needs tyres.

It has 17" runflats on it now - can I fit normal tyres onto the runflat rims with no risk?

I am looking at a 215/40*17 tyre as there are heaps of choice... rather than a 205/45 which is very limited and expensive.

Thanks in advance

DJ

AndyP & Lenore
21st July 2006, 08:44 AM
Sorry. I just don't know enough about the run flat - non run flat issue to advise. But as it's your first post, I will say http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/welcome.gif

I'm sure there will be a few folk around soon to help you out.:D

Craig
21st July 2006, 03:29 PM
standard tyres are the way to go IMHO... :approve::approve::approve: There is no problem with putting non run-flat tyres on the std MINI rims... they are not Run-flat rims as such...MINI just put them on these rims..

your tyre size is fine, it's within the 3% allowable..

:D:D

Wul
21st July 2006, 03:35 PM
Hey DJ - welcome to the site - head over to the Introduce Yourself Forum and tell us about yourself! :)

As to your question - hell yes - don't listen to the dealers about tyres - normal fitments fit onto the S-Spokes no probs - I got McConnechy/Hi-Q in sighthill ind estate to fit me 4 205/40/17 Yoko A539's to mine - they were a bit harder to fit than normal but they did it no probs. Then off to get some tyresafe in them and Bobs your Dad's brother! :D

Check this (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3147) thread out too!

X30YES
21st July 2006, 09:03 PM
As said above ,you can fit non run flat tyres ans welcome to NMS

s12cot
22nd July 2006, 12:40 AM
if you are taking the run flats off i will have em off u - dep on size of (need to check mine)

DJBlack
26th July 2006, 06:31 AM
Hi Guys...

Thanks for the very warm welcome... it is much appreciated. There are so many forums these days where newcommers are met with the old go search and come back when you start shaving etc,...

I collect the car next week (MCS), so need to get two fronts v-soon.,.. the rears are new runflats about 150miles ago...apparently.

I have used mytyres.co.uk before... and used the fitting guys down at leith links - great fitters and not a mark on my wheels...

Thanks again.. sure I will be back soon with more questions... probably around pulleys....

DJ