PDA

View Full Version : Discounts / Haggling

s1mon
14th July 2006, 07:03 AM
I might go and look at a couple of cars I've seen this weekend but I'm wondering what the chances of discounts on advertised prices are from MINI dealers. I know someone who bought recently and got pretty much nothing off but they were trading in against the MINI. I'll be paying in full and no trade-in so what do you think the chances of haggling are?

Cheers

Si.

Mini Me
14th July 2006, 07:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by s1mon

I might go and look at a couple of cars I've seen this weekend but I'm wondering what the chances of discounts on advertised prices are from MINI dealers. I know someone who bought recently and got pretty much nothing off but they were trading in against the MINI. I'll be paying in full and no trade-in so what do you think the chances of haggling are?

Cheers

Si.

Depends how good you are ;) pretty much feck all ,but never nothing:D:D:D

KenL
14th July 2006, 06:23 PM
Is this on a new or used car?

I would say that MINIs are greatly overpriced at main dealers. Well worth looking at a private buy to save yourself a fortune. Ideally buy from someone on here.

If it is a new car, I would not buy one without a significant discount as the new model will be out in a couple of months.

euan
14th July 2006, 06:52 PM
How soon is it until the new car comes out? Anyone got any dates yet? I thought it was next year?

KenL
14th July 2006, 09:39 PM
I thought it was September, that could be old info though.

euan
14th July 2006, 10:24 PM
Have got some updated info - put it in mini news.

s1mon
16th July 2006, 02:17 AM
Well after going to Arbroath today I ran out of time to go and see one of the cars so I changed my mind about going to see either after finding a private sale. Going to see it tomorrow morning, it's a '54 Cooper with chilli pack and air-con. So does anyone have any tips on what to look out for or anything specific to check?

Cheers
Si.

Keith
16th July 2006, 03:35 AM
Good luck with the car Si, what colour is it?

Smitty
16th July 2006, 08:29 PM
With a 54 plate their shouldnt be much problems. Just check general things like tyre and brake wear. If they look dodgy then possibility it's been thrashed!

Also check the exhaust, seem to have a habbit of rusting.....or even the bracket falling off.....as we found out with someone's yesterday!!

But at that age, car should be fine and its more just a matter of if you like it, and if its spec'ed the way you want!!

s1mon
17th July 2006, 02:09 AM
Well we bought it :D
It's 54 plate chilli red Cooper with a white roof, mirrors, stripes and wheels, chilli pack and red/black half leather. About 8400 miles on the clock so it hasn't had a service yet but has TLC so that's fine. Tyres had plenty tread, didn't really look at the brakes but at that mileage they should be ok. Got it for a little under £11k so I was happy with that as dealers are asking for £12k+ for older cars and it's got 15 months left of the original warranty so if anything goes wrong then that should take care of it. Should pick it up on Friday evening so need to go and sort out insurance and money now.

Smitty
17th July 2006, 07:46 PM
Sounds like a cracking wee MINI!! Who gets first shot then....you or the girlfriend??:p:D

Get some pics up!:cool:

s1mon
17th July 2006, 07:58 PM
1 slight problem I have is that the current owners still have outstanding finance. They told us without us asking so they were completely honest about it. They said they will be clearing the finance but can't do that until they sell the car. I'm not really sure what the best way to deal with this is, as I'm not happy taking the car with finance.
On suggestion I've had is to offer to pay the outstanding finance on the phone when we go to pick the car up, then give them the remainder. I can't think of any other way of sorting it out so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll get pics up once we pick it up :D

Gismo
17th July 2006, 08:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by s1mon
offer to pay the outstanding finance on the phone when we go to pick the car up, then give them the remainderThat is the only way to do it, if they won't agree, walk away :approve: but, advise them now so it's not a surprise for them :p

Keith
17th July 2006, 08:21 PM
I had to clear the outstanding finance on my CSL. I just did it exactly as you described, called them up when I arranged to collect the car. Make sure they have an up to date settlement figure, I had a window of three or four days to clear it at a certain rate. I paid with my debit card, you get charged a lot for using a cerdit card.
Plus point is obviously you know the car is now finance free and your not wondering if they did actually clear it or not. The small print from the finance company on mine actually left the resonsibility with the previous owners to ensure it was settled. So I guess it is in their best interests to get it sorted out.
Other way would be to pay by two bankers drafts, one made out to the finance company and one to the keepers. They are as good as cash.
Hope that helps,
Keith.