PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Windscreen

Marc
13th July 2006, 09:12 PM
I have a cracked windscreen due to a stone chip.

The car was booked into RAC windscreens in Aberdeen to have a new one fitted through insurance. I have been advised not to take it there by someone in my work due to him having his screen misaligned and also his wipers were put on the wrong way round!

I have phoned the local dealer and they have quoted me £408.75 for having this done but my insurance will only pay up to £200. So instead of the £60 excess I would have to pay £208.75.

So I need to know if anyone has had a screen fitted at another dealer and what did they charge?
Or if anyone has had a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass or similar and how good was the job. Also should I insist on a genuine mini screen?

Big Col
13th July 2006, 09:17 PM
I had one fitted by autoglass in my. last cooper and I was never really happy with the job. It wasn't sealed quite right and I had a nightmare with condensation inside the car for the rest of the time I had the car. On saying that, I dunno if BMW would be any better as it's always difficult resealing a window once it's been oot.

The screen I got fitted wasn't a genuine MINI one either.

How much were RAC charging for a new screen?

Moonshine
13th July 2006, 09:22 PM
had mine replaced by RAC in Glasgow a while back - no particular problems, then about 2 weeks later, the screen cracked again. I went back and said i thought it was a stress fracture (as there was no impact mark on the screen and i hadn't hit anything) and the chap agreed - replaced FOC, and has been fine since.

RAC are prob ok to use - the fitter might have had an off day when he did your friends window - but they do it day in, day out and have to be better than someone who does it once in a moon. - you would be scunnered if you found out your dealer had used RAC and charged you for the pleasure. they might you know!

Just take it to RAC, and if you are not happy, complain...its a damn sight cheaper than paying out another £200.

gerry

Gerry

Marc
13th July 2006, 09:23 PM
I hadn't actually asked them for the price with the BMW window but all I was having to pay was the £60 excess for the normal replacement one. At least if BMW do it and it does have condensation etc I can keep going back until it is resolved.

Moonshine
13th July 2006, 09:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I had one fitted by autoglass in my. last cooper and I was never really happy with the job. It wasn't sealed quite right and I had a nightmare with condensation inside the car for the rest of the time I had the car. On saying that, I dunno if BMW would be any better as it's always difficult resealing a window once it's been oot.

The screen I got fitted wasn't a genuine MINI one either.

How much were RAC charging for a new screen?

Mines been fine and RAC charged me the usual £50 excess and is just the standard replacement (non MINI) but with rain sensor and heated element

Marc
13th July 2006, 09:28 PM
Moonshine - I agree that RAC do it day in day out but it was just when I heard the story I panicked and cancelled the booking and thought see what you guys think. But still not sure whether to ask for the BMW screen or not and pay the little extra. Do they look any different?

Moonshine
14th July 2006, 12:07 AM
looks the same... just no wings emblem in the corner - i'm not worried about that - not much of a badge snob i'm afraid.
- keeps rain, wind and water out of the eyes and is see through - does pretty much everything a window is meant to do! :D

- even the little hole for the VIN no is in the right place:)

i wouldn't worry too much IMHO.

G

Marc
14th July 2006, 02:59 AM
Cheers Gerry much appreciated. Looks like I will book it back in to RAC. I'm just over protective of my baby:)

X30YES
14th July 2006, 04:53 AM
Auto Glass did my last screen ..great job as well and at home !!, looked just like the Mini one

KenL
14th July 2006, 06:25 PM
Don't some garages get these guys in to do the job? I would think people who fit windscreens every day would be better at it anyway!