john
27th November 2003, 08:12 AM
Only anoying people:blackeye:

Big Col
27th November 2003, 04:59 PM
I'm with John on this one.:blackeye:

Willie M
27th November 2003, 05:01 PM
Ah, but are we talking front or rear foglights? I cannae abide it when you get stuck behind someone with their rear fogs on and the night is as clear as a clear thing, on a clear day in perfect visibility :mad: Front fogs don't bother me too much, the MINI ones are quite neat and not that bright IMO. Then again you do get the Scooby's with their 4 gigawatt rally fogs who can burn your retinas out from 3 miles off.

My general rule would be, if it's foggy switch them on, if it ain't dinnae bother ;)

KenL
27th November 2003, 05:06 PM
I agree that the MINI ones are not too bad in terms of brightness but with some other cars they are a real pain and blinding. There seems to be more people than ever using them without good reason at the moment.

It is an offence to use fog lights when the visibility is less than 100yds to use front or rear fogs and the police can and do pull people for it.

I only use mine if I feel I have to on a dark road and the standard headlights being crap need a bit extra to light verges etc. I only do this when there's no-one else about though.

Anyone who uses their rear fogs is a menace to society. Apart from blinding you they can cause accidents as it's not easy to see brakes lights go on with high intensity fogs already on.

GAJ
27th November 2003, 05:25 PM
I would shoot anyone using fogs when it's not foggy then string 'em up as an example to others.;)

It does nip ma heid though, seriously - I wonder if the people who drive with them on all the time, especially in cities with streetlights actually know what they are for.

I agree that rears are even worse. I suspect people put the fronts on (mainly young neds guys) cos they think they look cool - and people put the rears on (mainly women) by mistake cos they are thick and don't know what the switch does! The rears don't look cool!

< having lit the blue touchpaper, GAJ retreats and waits for the fireworks from the birds! >

Duncan Stewart
27th November 2003, 05:38 PM
Fog lights on when it is not foggy? What’s wrong with these **** people :dead::evil:. It is supposed to be illegal but has anyone every been done for it? There seems to be a general inability to drive in the dark - particularly annoying at this time of year when it is dark coming & going to work. 40mph, brake for every corner, brake when someone comes the other way, keep their lights on low beam so you can't see to overtake, then put them on full beam once you dare to overtake them, rant, rant, rant :dead::mad::(:disapprove:
I'm away for a lie down :sleepy::sleepy:

Gismo
27th November 2003, 05:58 PM
I'm totally against the illegal use of fog lights, if someone approaches me from the rear :eek: with their fogs on i switch my rear fog on and off to highlight the fact they have inadvertantly switched their fog lights on :mad:

Bonnie Scotland

KenL
27th November 2003, 05:59 PM
Mibbe it's an age thing. Youngsters put their front ones on cause it's cool (not!) and old folk have their rear ones on cause they don't realise and wouldn't know how to turn them off anyway. :disapprove:

duncan
27th November 2003, 06:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
I suspect people put the fronts on (mainly young neds guys) cos they think they look cool - and people put the rears on (mainly women) by mistake cos they are thick and don't know what the switch does! The rears don't look cool!

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Monsta Mo Mini
27th November 2003, 06:47 PM
I actually got pulled over last year by this old bufty or whatever passes for the Royal Park Police these days. Anyway - I was dring along Queens's Drive with my side lights on when the police landrover coming the other way started to flash his headlights at me. He continued to do this until just as we were drawing level when he puts the blue lights on and orders me to pull over. Confused, I obliged and proceeded to get a lecture about inappropriate use of foglamps. He was most apologetic once I'd given him a full demonstration of the lighting capablilities of the MINI. Stupid old twat!

Burple
27th November 2003, 07:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

Ah, but are we talking front or rear foglights? I cannae abide it when you get stuck behind someone with their rear fogs on and the night is as clear as a clear thing, on a clear day in perfect visibility :mad:

A few hundred yards with your main beam on usually sorts this out... ;)

knaone
27th November 2003, 07:33 PM
I normally use my rear fog lights incase some a$$ is up behind me with their front ones, dare i say a taste of their own medicine! (unless its foggy then i like it)

Its really annoying when plonkers do that.... its mainly merchant bankers in their 3 series :eek: Are they like volvos with the fog lights wired to the ignition?????

Bazthemod
27th November 2003, 08:38 PM
Volvo's lights are always on to see into their dim future! :D:blackeye:

knaone
27th November 2003, 08:44 PM
Their lights are on for safety, i have been told that there is some technicality that if you were to have your sidelights wired to your ignition it can reduce your insurance..

Bazthemod
27th November 2003, 08:46 PM
i was only joking whats on or in a volvo thats not for safety? :D:blackeye:

Duncan Stewart
28th November 2003, 12:12 AM
I have always understood that "side" lights are "parking" lights and it is illegal to drive with them on - light must be on or off. On the subject of rear fogs the new mini warning light is awful :mad: - other cars have had a big light in the dash board or switch that lights up but the new mini just has a tiny light on the end of the switch - I don't want to accidentally become one of the plonkers with the rear fogs on! :I:clown:

Wul
28th November 2003, 12:31 AM
Duncan - the good thing about the MINI is that the fog lights (F & B) switch off automatically when the ignition is off - ie they don't come back on the next time in the car. This isn't a common feature on most cars unfortunately.

In my youth when i used to risk my life driving(on my motorbike ;)) up the middle of the two lanes of stationery traffic on the A90 into edinburgh every morning i used to detest people with their fog lights on because the difraction of the light through my visor was blinding - got to the point i used to stop and tap on the offenders window and tell them off!

But needless to say i am with everyone else on this matter - no fog no fog lights!

sh@z
28th November 2003, 01:23 AM
Yeah it does get annoying.

Im young, and i dont drive aboot with me foglights on, its not cool, its what the neds to do, by definition thats not cool ;)

But yeah, they can really get on your nerves and they do affect ur vision if its a subaru with super-duper-4000W foglights on driven by some **** who thinks he's in the WRC in the middle of town :)

Every 3 -series (especially the coupe) is flying about with foglights on... i mean is it just me thats noticed this?

hehe rant ahoy! love these threads

sh@z

KenL
28th November 2003, 01:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Duncan Stewart

I have always understood that "side" lights are "parking" lights and it is illegal to drive with them on - light must be on or off.

Don't think that's the case. I believe that side lights are OK for use in town but you must use dipped beam when there are no street lights.

Anyone got a copy of the highay code?

KenL
28th November 2003, 01:46 AM
Cool it's online now at
http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/00.shtml

You MUST
use headlights at night, except on restricted roads (those with street lights not more than 185 metres (600 feet) apart and which are generally subject to a speed limit of 30 mph)
use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 201).
ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit at night.
Laws RVLR regs 24 & 25 & RV(R&L)R reg 19

You MUST NOT
use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users
use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users.
Law RVLR reg 27

You should also
use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen
keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming traffic
slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights.

GAJ
28th November 2003, 02:04 AM
I must admit to putting my sidelights on at the first sign of reduced visibility. I have a problem with my car in that it often seems to be invisible to other road users, especially when trying to pull out of side streets and when driving round roundabouts. I think it must have stealth paint or something so I try to make it more visible by putting on the sidelights.:clown:

I remember when I were a lad I used to go on exotic holidays to Sheffield in my dad's Marina. Sheffield used to have a bylaw where parked cars had to have offside parking lights illuminated. My dad used to have aa clip on light that was white on one side and red on the other. In fact I think it is still in the garage!

Bazthemod
28th November 2003, 02:08 AM
Very Educational :D:blackeye:

Kirsty
28th November 2003, 03:28 AM
I was pulled over by the police a couple of weeks ago. It was dark and I had my lights on, which obviously include my wee side lights!! :)They asked how long I had had my mini and if I knew how all the lights worked. When I answered and said that I did, they informed me that my fog lights were on at the front.:mad: I checked my wee indicators in the car and they were off I then flicked them on and off and NO there were not on!! I had to then give a full demo of the lights to which they agreed with me that they had not been on!! What made it worse was the male police officer that pulled me over went on to say that his wife has a cooper and really likes it!! DUH THEN HE SHOULD KNOW THAT I DIDN'T HAVE MY FOG LIGHTS ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::dead::dead:: mad::mad:

Big Gordy
28th November 2003, 03:43 AM
Maybe he just wanted to pull all the foxy ladeez in mini's over that night and just used his ignorance about the lights as an excuse :p:D:approve:

3GGG
28th November 2003, 07:14 AM
Good to know that the Polis have caught all the criminals and vandals and have time to waste on mistaking sidelights for foglights.

Big Col
28th November 2003, 04:45 PM
I have to admit Kirsty. If I was a policeman who was bored cruising about and a sexy chick in a MINI was nearby I'd pull her. Over that is...obviously. ;):p

Burple
28th November 2003, 08:15 PM
Heh...
I'm sure you could be pulling lots of worse things!!! ;););)

Oooh... Matron...;):D

Tahra
28th November 2003, 09:32 PM
Hey Gaj you got off easy with that women and switches remark !!!!!!

KenL
28th November 2003, 09:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tahra

Hey Gaj you got off easy with that women and switches remark !!!!!!

Yes, what a sexist eh! :p:D

GAJ
28th November 2003, 10:34 PM
Maybe they've not finished the ironing yet so haven't checked recent posts.;)

Tahra
28th November 2003, 10:54 PM
Im sure you'll get a thump from Cheryl for that one.....Whats an iron ???

GAJ
28th November 2003, 11:32 PM
Oh well! I can live with it.

As long as the dishes are done first!;)

Kirsty
29th November 2003, 09:06 PM
Hee hee!! I'm with Tahra, Gaj should definately not get away with that one!!! :);):)I'm not sure what an iron is either but I definately know where my fog lights are!!!:D 3GGG I get annoyed when they waste time too, especially after they let me go and almost every car that I passed on the way home had their fog lights on!!!!:mad::mad:

Wul
1st December 2003, 06:11 PM
Even better than that - i once was dazzled by the headlights of an oncoming car - so i duly flashed at them incase it was a mistake - 1 minute later i was sat in the back of a police car being asked why i was flashing my lights at oncoming traffic!

When i tried to argue that the police cars' headlights seem to be set high as they were dazzling me they gave me a 7-day ticket and sent me on my way! Gits!

jockaneese
1st December 2003, 08:17 PM
Listen to youre selves man!!!!
They're only bloody fog lights, o.k. i agree rear foglights should not be put on unless its a real pea souper. but in the case of the mini i've found that the sidelights and front fogs is a great compromise (ideal for driving in pooey weather) we all know how pitiful the standard side lights are the front fogs give them an extra kick. :cool:
and yes all you fogeys out there it does give the car a certain ambiance.. so there :approve:

Julz
1st December 2003, 09:40 PM
Well, I hate the bloomin things, even found myself cursing another mini the other day for having them on!! Why do people think it's cool to dazzle every other road user in the world?? Was greatly amused when I heard of someone being pulled for having their 'ignorant twit', sorry, fog lights on, and duly asked;
PC: "Come up from Dover have we Sir??"
Ignorant Twit: "Excuse me????, erm, no!"
PC: "Then why the hell have you got your fog lights on??":mad::mad:

macblob
2nd December 2003, 02:15 AM
fog light tossers :D

thats all i have to say about it ,mind u i have to agree with Gaj on the women , ironing , dishes thing hehehehe

<hides under my desk>

Julz
2nd December 2003, 10:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

<hides under my desk>

<chases macblob out from under desk and batters him with iron in an Eastenders styleee:mad:>

macblob
3rd December 2003, 02:16 AM
ohhh smack me harder hehehehehe:evil:

Kirsty
4th December 2003, 07:43 AM
Yayyy Julz!!!:D Hee hee!!! I'm abstaining on this one!!!;):p Hee hee!!!!:)