PDA

View Full Version : petrol

stoney
13th July 2006, 07:13 PM
hi focks just been havin alook round at petrol prices :evil:

i live in larkhall neer hamalton and did a 20mile serch

now i was looking at the supper unleded the best price i found was 94.9p:D per liter this was at sanburis in hamolton and the one that cost most was 104.9:eek: !!!!! that was a bp !!!!!

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 07:17 PM
shell optimax is what ive started using as of last night (as its a higher octane than bp), £0.99 per litre i think, my bp ultimate i was getting was from 1.02 to 1.05 a litre :eek:

stoney
13th July 2006, 07:26 PM
sanburis is a 97 octane so is the same as optimax and at about 4p a liter less then that will be the one for me !!!!

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 07:29 PM
optimax is 98 octane, bp 97, tesco 99.

Your car would run fine on 95 octane (standard) :), higher the quality of fuel better performance, economy etc :cool:

stoney
13th July 2006, 07:44 PM
i know that i can run on 95 ron but would prefer 2 run on high 97 ron up as thats is what is recomended for the car bye JWC

Big Col
13th July 2006, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure Optimax is of a higher ron. A lil birdie tells methat they're exactly the same fuel only Bp has more of the same additve added than Shell.

stoney
13th July 2006, 08:20 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
I'm not sure Optimax is of a higher ron. A lil birdie tells methat they're exactly the same fuel only Bp has more of the same additve added than Shell.

i have herd that 2 i got told it was all uk petrol was the same but with difrent stuff put in :D

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 08:31 PM
im sure optimax is a higher RON (98) than bp ultimate (97). I'm not saying that the fuels are completely different just saying in regards to RON.

stoney
13th July 2006, 08:41 PM
i think its just the stuff they put in it was the price i was more botherd about i dont like paying over £1 :disapprove:for a liter for petrol it bugs me :evil:

Big Col
13th July 2006, 08:57 PM
and I'm saying they are exactly the same fuel from the same refinery, the only difference being the amount of additive in the BP one. Could be wrong though.

euan
13th July 2006, 09:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
and I'm saying they are exactly the same fuel from the same refinery, the only difference being the amount of additive in the BP one. Could be wrong though.

I've heard that somewhere before as well Col (if I could find the post I'd link it...)

Fontal
13th July 2006, 10:20 PM
Petrol hummfffff the cheapest normal unleaded 95 ron is 102.9p a litre up here and we dont get super :(

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 10:23 PM
So the jag and blazer get out much then? ;)

The Dogfather
13th July 2006, 10:33 PM
Fuel in Turriff is so much more expensive than in Aberdeen, petrol is 5p/litre and LPG a whopping 7p/litre more which is nearly 20%. There's a bit of a monopoly, one guy owns both garages in the town :(

Needless to say we fill up in Aberdeen.

KAH
14th July 2006, 12:10 AM
Was just reading an old copy of EVO. All the petrol in britain comes from the same hub depots. Its the addative thats added when they are transferring it to the Road tanker that makes the differences between Optimax and Ultima etc. I used to work right next to the BP refinery in Grangemouth and you would see all different tankers going in and out Texaco, Shell, Morrisons, Tesco etc...tho I've just had a thought...how does that account for the differences in Ron numbers????. And another thing..I hired a mustang (4.0l v6 :D) while i was in the states...i noticed that they mostly sorl 88RON!!! thought that was a bit rubbish!!!!!!!!

Scottie
14th July 2006, 04:21 AM
The ron in America is not graded the same as the ron in Europe.

I do have a good laugh every time I read these type of threads;) and I'm no going back into detail about the different products.

Just buy what you think is best and at the best ppl.

Sweeney
14th July 2006, 04:23 AM
Fiona knows something and she's not telling! shocking! :(

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2006, 04:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

Fiona knows something and she's not telling! shocking! :(

Not so. it's just she's already said it so many times before. I don't blame her for not going over old ground. If you do a search (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/search.asp) for the word "Fuel" you'll find 15 pages of threads covering the subject.

But to add my tuppence worth, I have also heard that the all petrol in the UK is identical until the additive is added. It's the additive that increases the Octane and alters the fuel in some way to make BP Ultimate different to Shell's Optimax.

A.:D

Sweeney
14th July 2006, 04:38 AM
Yeah i understand that the fuels are all from one source and each adds their own potions and lotions to it :p.

fireman01
14th July 2006, 05:33 AM
just buy a diesel:D

Sweeney
14th July 2006, 05:36 AM
naw :p you alone amount to half the uk's carbon emissions ;)