PDA

View Full Version : BMW dealers

euan
12th July 2006, 10:14 PM
OK, this is MINI and BMW related, not having a dig at any dealers in particular!

Car came up with a note saying it needed a brake fluid replacement. This needs doing every two years in my 3 series (apparently) so phoned up and booked it in. Asked how much and they said 120 inc vat. I wasn't really thinking and said yeah that's fine. Afterwards, I thought about and realised that's a whole heap of money for less than an hour of labour and some brake fluid! So this morning I phoned a few BMW dealers. The best price I got was 68 inc vat! Same situation, different BMW dealer, same work, whole heap of money less! What was worse was when I called one of the other local dealers (which is part of the same group as my madly expensive quote) and they then quoted 71 quid! It's the same group of companies! When I called my dealer back to talk about, they didn't even blink when I said why I wanted to cancel it.

So, from now on I'll be phoning other dealers to see what they will charge for the same piece of work. Bear it in mind when you need work doing on your MINI!

Bignorm
12th July 2006, 10:54 PM
hey mate we take £65.00 inc vat

Burple
12th July 2006, 11:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by roaster21

Aye, but the petrol up from London will screw that! ;);):D:D:p:p

euan
13th July 2006, 12:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by roaster21

See, it pays to shop about! ;)

Roaster, if i was nearby I'd book it in to you no hassle, but as LnL says, the petrol up and back would screw up the benefits!

Bignorm
13th July 2006, 12:22 AM
yeah i know mate was just letting you know

Allan
13th July 2006, 12:55 AM
Roaster. can you do Tracking on a 3 series? kds or something. How much would it be.

Allan

Sheilz
13th July 2006, 08:19 AM
I was having a gander through my tlc booklet etc and noticed a bit for the dealer signs for a brake fluid change. Is it not part of the tlc package? According to my counter thingy I need mine done in 713 something. Wasnt sure if this is days or miles! Sometimes I find my own ignorance quite scary :D:D:D:D

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 03:07 PM
days, although it could mean its overdue 713 days ;)

How long have you had the mini and has it had a change already?

Big Col
13th July 2006, 03:17 PM
If it comes up 713 when you've just turned the engine on then it's miles and that's until your next service Sheilz, if it comes up 713 after you've pushed the wee button on the speedo when you've just starte the car it's 713 days and that's until your brake fluid change. :)

Burple
13th July 2006, 05:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
If it comes up 713 when you've just turned the engine on then it's miles and that's until your next service Sheilz, if it comes up 713 after you've pushed the wee button on the speedo when you've just starte the car it's 713 days and that's until your brake fluid change. :)

...And do it again a day or two later, to make sure the number is still counting *down*! :D:D:D

Bignorm
13th July 2006, 07:06 PM
HEY ALLAN ITS £140.00

Allan
13th July 2006, 07:32 PM
Cool. Been quoted £161 by Henry Bro's so could be paying a visit. What makes BM's so special. Told at Quick fit they couldnt do it because its weighted. Drivers in glasgow have laser alignment is this just the same thing?

Big Gordy
13th July 2006, 08:07 PM
Allen my mate (John@Pro-Grip 01324 810111) has his own wee garage in Bonnybrigge and has the latest, top of the range laser alignment doofer:approve: I'm sure if you give him a call it would more than be worth the extra petrol coming through from Glasgie;) :p:D:approve:

duncan
14th July 2006, 03:26 AM
Auto Express did an article a while ago about dealer servicing prices, which was particuarly relevent to those Darn Sarf.
They took a car, and had it serviced by a main dealer in the Calais area of France, and found prices to be almost half of prices in Central London, and still less than outside the M25.

Even factoring the ferry crossing, it was much cheaper, and it gave you a chance to stock up at the Hypermarkets at the same time!

Sweeney
14th July 2006, 03:39 AM
Yeah now that you mention it i remember reading that

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2006, 04:40 AM
Sorry to go off topic, but I wanted to ask Euan if he's a Lee Child fan? Lee is a mystery thriller writer and some of the afflictions in Euan's post reflected some of Lee's writing styles.

AndyP:D

Sheilz
14th July 2006, 05:36 AM
Cheers! It came up after I pressed the wee knobbie thing. Car will be two in August and hasnt had this done before. Why is there a voucher in the tlc book thingy for brake fluid change? My tlc is finished but this hasnt been signed by dealer. And my tlc was bought before the extended package came out so not connected to that.

I went to an independent garage for my big service. The thought of JC prices on a social work salary freaked me out. Was still £300 but am sure still cheaper than JC would have charged. Would this have been a reasonable price. Didnt need anything other than a new back wiper though tyres will need replacing quite soon :(

Clare1
14th July 2006, 06:59 PM
Sheilz after you have used all your TLC vouchers, TLC XL can be purchased before you pay for your next service for £300 which gives you another 3 years/30,000 miles of servcing which includes 1st Inspection II Service (55k), 3rd Oil Service (70k) and 2nd Brake Fluid Change!!! Big Savings!!!