PDA

View Full Version : JCW works Garage to close

Scottie
11th July 2006, 06:22 PM
:eek::eek: Say it isn't so.:(:(

http://www.mini2.com/forum/general-discussion/120836-when-motoring-giant-asks-your-help.html#post2527739

I wonder why I can't see them not making a profit. Maybe the big bucks on the brand name means they no longer nead the overheads of the garage. Will BMW by the brand from JCW or license a deal.???

So many questions to get my head round.

Sweeney
11th July 2006, 06:35 PM
:eek:

Scottie
11th July 2006, 06:43 PM
just imagine if JCW don't do a deal with BMW re the brand name.

We could already have classic cars.:cool:

I don't see JCW selling the name to BMW it will be like some kind of licence deal they will have which will get resigned every so 3 to 5 years.

Kinda thing.

Sweeney
11th July 2006, 06:47 PM
most likely, although could well be a PR stunt to try and boost sales.

One thing for certain if BMW get full rights to jcw it will just become something along the lines of the M kits... Simple tick of an option and it gets plastered with it all. (i.e. expensive as ****)

Burple
11th July 2006, 07:48 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Surely not *THE* John Cooper Garage!!! :eek::eek:

That would be a real shame after all this time... :(

stoney
11th July 2006, 10:05 PM
noooo please say its not true !!!!!!!!!:(

N12 JLK
12th July 2006, 01:52 AM
Boo Hoo:(

minimad
12th July 2006, 09:01 AM
just heard the news ,i bought my car from the jcw garage about a month ago,i will phone mike raven the sales person who sold me my car,and ask if this is true or just a rumour.i hope this is untrue.

ELFMAN
12th July 2006, 05:36 PM
Not good news if you work there....I've always found them very helpful and they gave me good honest advice when I bought my JCW suspension & brakes.

I thought they'd always be riding high with the BMW connection as a solid foundation. So if the JC Garage shuts and the JCW bits are still available through the dealers/factory (which they will be 'cos it's worth buckets of money......) does this prove that the COOPER connection had become (or was always) just a 'front', a 'brand name' to make what are essentially BMW upgrades (and mostly very expensive ones at that) seem 'kosher'? I mean, the actual JCW catalogue is a BMW publication, so it's always been obvious who's pulling the strings - or pushing the pedals.

The Cooper family name/history was great marketing and necessary for the credibility of the MINI/COOPER when the new MINI was launched - and it certainly worked for me! Perhaps now that the car is so well established, there's no need to have such a physical link. I'll bet half the folks who buy new MINIS wouldn't know who the great John Cooper was anyway. I agree with Sweeney in that the JCW 'upgrades' will be available mainly as 'tick box' options when you buy the car - when it's easier to say “what the hell” and spend the extra. Even if the garage stays open (and I sincerely hope it does), much of the above still stands. Excuse my cynicism......

Hasn't the COOPER Challenge also recently been handed over to 'New Management' as well? Maybe Mike Cooper's got enough in the bank to retire now! Best of luck to him if he has.

Sweeney
12th July 2006, 05:44 PM
Cooper challenge has also changed yes, infact wasn't it stopped?

Although i think i am 100% on the Works compared to M kits, it'll become an option to kit it out completely... Watch this space :sleepy:

on another note: Euan, how do you find the works suspension compared to the normal suspension? (Thinking of getting it :p). I've heard it makes the normal commute more comfortable but if you it the beans it keeps it nice and flat etc.

X30YES
12th July 2006, 05:50 PM
There goes another wee shop in the Tesco type take over (if its true) and sad if it is ,also the personal touch as well I bet .As you say Sweeney/Euan its easy to tick a box .
Was John Cooper Mini Coopers father :question: :p

Sweeney
12th July 2006, 05:56 PM
Yep. john cooper was mike coopers father, mike cooper helped john with his original kits (classics) i believe.

Sweeney
12th July 2006, 06:02 PM
i know i just thought you meant mike :p

X30YES
12th July 2006, 06:06 PM
Was she not an actress !!

Burple
12th July 2006, 06:11 PM
Met the 'ol man of Mini himself on a London to Brighton run a good few years ago. Got him to sign a flyer for our show an all. Still got that somewhere!

:cool::cool::D:D

weefossy
12th July 2006, 09:40 PM
Would be really sad to see the "Works" name go. We always had great service from John Cooper Garages with both the classic and the new mini. Makes it even worse that we sold the classic Works.

However, John Cooper Garages have always been a Honda dealer and that's where they make their money.

Like LnL, John Cooper signed a model mini for Neil when he was little, yes Neil was once little;):D and Mike helped Sioban get her works seats fitted into the classic on a Saturday morning. Nothing was ever too much bother for them. Only downside was their courtesy car was a "Dagenham dustbin" and they were never cheap.

ELFMAN
12th July 2006, 10:17 PM
Here's a thought... (another first for the ELFMAN!) All the JCW gear is based on the previous current MINI models. What's coming out soon? The 'NEW' NEW MINI, with PSA/BMW engines (with Turbo, not Supercharger - Cheerio Chrysler, Bye Bye Blower)....so there'll be no 'Factory Fit' engine stuff from the current JCW parts bin. My money's on a purely BMW "M" MINI later on, which will doubtless cost a shedload. I can see the queue forming as I type......

It is sad if JCW is no more, but my personal opinion is as I said - it had long become a Marketing tool rather than the 'genuine' innovative COOPER tuning of the old days. I heard ages ago that even the 'Classic' Works engine kits were mainly 'Janspeed' bolt-ons, but don't quote me on that. Nostalgia's a great thing, but not necessarily when it's being used to fill BMW's coffers.

Having said all that, Sweeney, the JCW Suspension kit's worth a look. It maintains and improves control by taking away 90% of the harshness you get from the standard 'Sport Plus' set-up. I'm still using Run-Flats which obviously hampers things a wee bit, but I reckon it's much better on my 16's, and if you're on 17's, the improvement will probably be more noticable. JCW said it works well with non Run-Flats too. However, you can get adjustable set-ups for the same money, I just chose the JCW one because EVO magazine gave it a good write-up and it was handy for a Dealer fit - also any probs, it's Warrantied by BMW (which is the old argument for paying through the beak for the JCW stuff - however, I didn't think it was too much of a rip-off, not compared to the £4K for the engine....). So I like it, and the brakes are good too, but you don't really notice them until you start giving it some beans on a B-road. Heh Heh. I'm just back from a week near Kelso - and G3 ELF was fairly enjoying the roads down there.....

Should we all get together as a club and see if we can get a BIG discount on some JCW 210 Engine upgrades? Closing Down Sale, perhaps? Aye, Right!

Seriously though, I hope the guys at the JCW Garage are getting a decent redundancy package - COOPER/BMW's made enough off their hard work in serving/helping/advising all us new MINI folks. Bless 'em.

AndyP & Lenore
12th July 2006, 10:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by ELFMAN
I'm just back from a week near Kelso - and G3 ELF was fairly enjoying the roads down there.....

And you didn't come to Galashiels to visit us.:eek:;):D

X30YES
13th July 2006, 12:48 AM
''Here's a thought... (another first for the ELFMAN!) All the JCW gear is based on the previous current MINI models. What's coming out soon? The 'NEW' NEW MINI, with PSA/BMW engines (with Turbo, not Supercharger - Cheerio Chrysler, Bye Bye Blower)....so there'll be no 'Factory Fit' engine stuff from the current JCW parts bin. My money's on a purely BMW "M" MINI later on, which will doubtless cost a shedload.''
I would go with that one as well ....well thought E

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 12:54 AM
copied me! ;)

X30YES
13th July 2006, 12:57 AM
NEWS FLSAH !!!! Read All About it ........It's not all about power, but it helps...

The John Cooper Works GP Tuning MINI Cooper S is being touted as the current generations last big fling. A lighter, faster Cooper S at a competitive price that will see the first edition new MINI, with it's effervescent and charming supercharged engine, get a suitable send off.

But the one question this has given rise to again and again with MINI enthusiasts has been, "I like it, but what about the next generation S works?". So enough pondering, MINI2 has gathered information from numerous sources and here's a little taster of what's to come for you.

Before we approach the "what?", we'll address the "when?". We believe that the range topping Cooper S Works will arrive, at the earliest, in the Autumn of 2007. So if you're tempted by a GP, it could be more than a year from the GP's arrival that the next generation Works tempts you away, and if you're just waiting, put your feet up and relax a while.

We've heard a few different murmurs about the Works S, but it's certain the car will pack more of a punch than the current Works, but not a massive amount more. The engine will weigh in with just over 220 bhp, and in the region 205 lb/ft of torque. The car will feature many unique components, and not just engine components, but trim and bodywork details, including a revised front end to improve cooling and general efficiency. Due to the large number of modifications this car will feature, it is highly unlikely the next generation Works will be available as a dealer conversion, but IF it does become available via the dealer, expect to pay a large mark up compared to the factory Works.

So it seems MINI are doing what many feel they should have done from the start, taking the John Cooper Works "in house", and offering it as a more complete package, a stand alone model, with significant changes from the standard MINI Cooper S that will be instantly recognisable to any MINI connoisseurs at a single glance. The next generation S Works could also weigh around 100kg less than the current S Works, so power is up, and weight is down. Got to be a good thing.

Article: MINI2

stoney
13th July 2006, 01:03 AM
just spoke 2 my dealer and head of parts has said JCW will be staying around there has been no bulitons 2 say outher wise and have also just released a new part dont ask as i dont know ;) well sounds like good news 2 me :)

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 01:11 AM
dp's won't know :p john cooper garage is what's shutting not the jcw brand?

As they are an independant garage bmw wouldn't issue a bulletin to dealers? at least i don't see why.

stoney
13th July 2006, 01:27 AM
it was not dps its one down south i use as my sis works for them

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 01:30 AM
ah, i still very much doubt bmw would tell them... Could phone jcw and ask.

stoney
13th July 2006, 01:36 AM
thats it just what i was told just passing it on !! :)

minimad
13th July 2006, 08:30 AM
i spoke to jcw yesterday and its true the garage is closing at the begining of august,and iam really sad about this fact

stoney
13th July 2006, 03:22 PM
dam thats a shame !!!

ELFMAN
13th July 2006, 10:04 PM
I wasn't 'copying' you Sweeney!

I totally agreed with you (as I said) on page 1, then later (above) had thought about the 'new engine' stuff and I quote: “...so there'll be no 'Factory Fit' engine stuff from the current JCW parts bin. My money's on a purely BMW "M" MINI later on, which will doubtless cost a shedload”, whereas I think you were talking about BMW having 'full rights' to JCW and fitting them 'like the M kits'. I mean an off the shelf/line 'M' MINI, with no references to JCW at all. JCW doesn't have any engine bits for the new model, so that's not going to happen.

My thrust (oo-er missus!) is that people (with enough dosh) will buy the 'top' performance MINI because that's what they want to have. To those of us who are Mini enthusiasts of old, John Cooper and the Works cars are held in great respect, but to lots of newer 'converts', 'Works' doesn't mean a thing - if it was badged 'M' or 'Sport', it would sell just as well.

The JCW 'brand' has served BMW's purpose, and I'm sorry to see it go, but as old Bill Shakespeare would say “a rose by any other name would smell as sweet”. Ask (mostly) anybody from the Mini Clan and they'll let you know very quickly how tenuous they reckon the link with the genuine Works is!

Sweeney, let's just say that 'Great minds think (nearly) alike, but I ain't no sheep! Baaaaaah, Humbug!

By the way Andy, I was too busy using up Shell's reserves of 'Optimax' to make hose calls!

ELFMAN
13th July 2006, 10:07 PM
ps, I hadn't read the above MINI2 article either, in case people think I have no original thoughts!

What do you reckon to the suspension then Sweeney?

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 10:08 PM
Hehe :p i was only on the wind up euan :D... Will be very interesting to see what bmw does though.

Read that article on mini2 when they posted it, although to me it seems like general assumption... Until the final product is revealed they can't possibly comment on weight loss or performance :p.

Two minds re: suspension as my newly fitted tyres and wheels are a good bit softer and more comfortable to drive around with, i suppose i'd need to actually drive the roads im used to for a comparison... (norman spec up a cooper with jcw suspension for the forecourt and lemme test it :p!).

ELFMAN
13th July 2006, 10:10 PM
Freudian Panic!!!
Andy, I meant 'HOUSE CALLS'!!!!!! Your secret is safe with me. And thanks for the Werthers........

ELFMAN
13th July 2006, 10:13 PM
CHEERS SWEENEY! That great big key sticking out of my touchy paranoid back is hard to resist. Ask my Ex-Fiance...........but watch it, or she'll have your hand off.

Sweeney
13th July 2006, 10:17 PM
:eek: Didn't intend to cause any distress :D.

ELFMAN
14th July 2006, 04:06 PM
No Distress caused! Have a good weekend, Y'all.

Sweeney
14th July 2006, 04:15 PM
Good :), will do cheers :p

X30YES
17th July 2006, 01:08 AM
Sections: In the Press, JCW Jul 16th, 2006
The secret is out and the British media are starting to pick up the story on the John Cooper Garage closure. Nothing new that wasn’t reported earlier this week on MF but I suppose it’s confirmation for those who just couldn’t believe it the first time around. Here’s an excerpt from a recent article on Channel4.com.

Cooper will keep a head office, but much of the engineering work on future JCW kits for the Mini will now be sub-contracted; he will not keep a permanent workshop. But although he wouldn’t give details, it’s safe to assume that Mike Cooper is working on a number of JCW tuning kits and modifications for the upcoming Mk2 Mini and its variants. The John Cooper Works brand, far from dying out as some Mini enthusiasts have suggested, is now likely to gain further international recognition via the partnership with BMW. However, it’s a shame that the Works garage, which has become a bit of a Mecca for enthusiasts of Minis old and new, will be closing its doors

Sweeney
17th July 2006, 02:18 AM
Mike cooper spoke to mini2:

http://www.mini2.com/article376-mini2-speaks-to-mike-cooper-about-john-cooper-works.html

minidriver#1
17th July 2006, 07:36 AM
I can't see how they would be struggling to make money.

ELFMAN
17th July 2006, 10:34 AM
This story has more twists and turns than a twisty, turny thing.......I officially (and with a full Warranty and TLC), give up! Life's too short - it'll all come out in the wash.