PDA

View Full Version : Opinions! my car has a bit of rust!!!

K18ARY
10th July 2006, 07:59 PM
Its an 05 and has a small amount of rust under the arch trim on the drivers side A panel. It's obviously been caused by a small amount of abrasion from the arch which has left the metal open to the elements. However my questions are:
Are these cars not meant to be galvanised? Even if the abrasion was down to the bare metal, then the surrounding galvanised metal should prevent the rust forming (basic electrolytic chemistry and all that!)

Second question is... I could fix it myself but why should I since its only a year old? Does it warrant getting taken back to BMW? The car is always clean and I look after it better than I look after myself!:)

Thoughts kindly please!

Barry

Sweeney
10th July 2006, 08:16 PM
From MMM's post in dealer questions:
"Iain is unable to comment on any warranty or related issues.

Specifically on the statements and positions of other dealers. Despite all these companies selling MINIs under the one brand name, they are all individual franchises and as such have their own indicvidual policies regarding what is and isn't covered or allowed under warranty. Stupid I know but that's the way it is. It's certianly something MINI need to rectify.

Please take any disputes up with your own dealer. Failing that go through the proper channels and email customer.service@mini.co.uk"

I believe they are meant to be galvanised, might be worth checking under your door rubber at the sill area as that area is prone to rust also (even on 05's).

Burple
10th July 2006, 08:30 PM
I believe (after a couple of factory tours ;)) that all Minis should have a 5 year Anti-rust warranty (I may be wrong :D)

If the car's only a year old, there shouldn't be any rust on it at all!
Unless of course you've scraped al the paint and coatings away to reveal bare metal! :D:p

Straight back to the Dealer!

X30YES
10th July 2006, 09:27 PM
Should be covered Barry np... and better talk with someone local dealer I would think

KenL
11th July 2006, 06:02 PM
Take it to your dealer. Rust should defo be covered unless it is obviously caused by something like a stone chip.

Hadi
13th July 2006, 02:05 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

Take it to your dealer. Rust should defo be covered unless it is obviously caused by something like a stone chip.

Which you know they will blame the rust on ;)

s12cot
14th July 2006, 01:31 AM
take it to the dealer get them to sort it