PDA

View Full Version : One D

VFR-Ray
26th November 2003, 10:08 PM
Can anyone offer any comments about the One D?

I've driven a Mini One (before the One D was available) and loved it, however due to hefty business start up costs I decided to opt for a used car to start with.

I'm a Driving Instructor and thinking of moving up to a One D in the New Year. At the moment I'm getting a very poor trade in offer on my low mileage Yaris, the expected delivery time is too long - April!That's from my nearest dealer in Inverness - I should point out that living on an island makes test drives difficult.

Monsta Mo Mini
26th November 2003, 11:18 PM
Hi Ray - Davidson 2 is also a driving instructor and he has a ONE. can't offer you any advice about the D I'm afraid.

Big Col
27th November 2003, 01:05 AM
I think Slooooooooooooooooooooooooow is the only comment I've heard.

KenL
27th November 2003, 01:09 AM
It is probably a wee bit sluggish pulling away but the high mid-range torque probably makes it quite nippy once you are off and running.

I don't know if being a diesel makes it easier for learner drivers though.

If you go onto MINI2 and look at the reviews section there are a couple of reviews of the ONE D on there.

Gismo
27th November 2003, 02:32 AM
I think Paul Mullett's wee brother had a diesel as a test car on the Milton Keynes run earlier this year, i spoke with him and he was quite happy with the performance :)

Bonnie Scotland

ONED
27th November 2003, 03:09 AM
We love it!:D

As KenL said,it may be a little sluggish pulling off, I have managed to stall it a few times but you do get used to it, It's no worse than a small petrol car.
Big Col I think I'd have to disagree with you there, I was expecting sluggish all the way, but it's really quite lively, especially from 3rd through to 6th.

ny152
27th November 2003, 10:19 AM
I Agree with the above comments. Once you get moving in it things are fine though, and the six speed gearbox is smooth, although reverse can take a bit of getting used to (same as on an S).
It feels quiet and very refined compared to my previous Citroen Picasso and the Toyota engine should be reliable for your business.

Only downside is that my average mpg is just 49.5 mpg. Then again I do like to treat it the way a MINI likes to be treated on an open road :)

One last thing, any learner would be well chuffed to drive a MINI !!

Willie M
27th November 2003, 05:05 PM
Goldmini certainly didn't have any probs keeping up with Satelite and I on the way back down from Fort William a few weeks back ;)

Only 49.5mpg Alan??? :eek: I daren't ask really but what can you get if you're driving 'normally'?

GAJ
27th November 2003, 05:37 PM
49.5mpg!!

< ...dreams of what that would be like...and looks at his trip computer and sees he gets about 26mpg when driving mainly in Edinburgh...and wishes he had bought a diesel...and then wakes up screaming imagining the Guinnessmobile morphing into a taxi!!! arghhh!!! >

Duncan Stewart
27th November 2003, 05:44 PM
You can also chip the One D to give it more power if you need it - there was a review in one of the Mini Mags recently

Gismo
27th November 2003, 05:53 PM
BBR do sympathetic ecu upgrades for diesels ;)

By the way, i'm getting around 34 mpg for my mildly modified S :)

Bonnie Scotland

Big Gordy
27th November 2003, 06:13 PM
Mildly modified, mildly modified my a*se :eek: :p:D:approve:

Gismo
27th November 2003, 06:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Mildly modified, mildly modified my a*se :eek: :p:D:approve:
What exactly have you done to your a*se :D

Bonnie Scotland

Big Gordy
27th November 2003, 07:13 PM
Got rid of my tape worm:dead: Did anyone see that programme last night :eek: Horrible stuff

euan
27th November 2003, 07:13 PM
I hope he has not done to his ar*e what the post in off topic and banter mentions....:)

Moving away from the engine, the gearbox in the S (and seeing as it's the same in the diesel) is VERY stiff to get into reverse, you really need to shove it, not sure I'd have mastered that when I was learning. If you were using reverse a lot then you would need muscles like Thor (although you would develop them quickly:) )

Big Gordy
27th November 2003, 07:18 PM
Reverse gear in our one gearbox is a bit hit and miss as well but BMW say it will loosen up with more miles on it :p:D:approve:

ny152
28th November 2003, 03:25 AM
There's meant to be a oneclick chip upgrade for the D now that boots it to 100bhp. And its getting near Christmas.
Who knows what might be under my bonnet at the Festive Run :)

And seeing as this thread has already went off topic with tape worms and stuff - do any Edinburgh members have suggestions for secure parking near the Hilton Hotel in the city centre?
(I take the missus the most romantic places!!)

Big Gordy
28th November 2003, 03:45 AM
If its that posh doesn't it have its own car park :eek:

ny152
28th November 2003, 04:09 AM
Think they expect the Limo to drop you off at the front door....

Tahra
28th November 2003, 05:55 PM
John pinching Tahra's account yet again:

If someone asked me to put my money on the fastest Mini for the normal, does-not-drive-in-a-holding-the-gear-kind-of-a-way person, I'd reckon a 100bhp Mini D, with the diesel motor's intrinsic impressive torque characteristic, would more than hold its own against the similar 'ordinary' driver in a JCW S.

My limited experience would suggest that unless you really rev a Mini (Cooper or S - not driven a Works or Hartge so might be wrong there), there's no power to speak of below around 3.5krpm, which is true of a lot of 16v petrol engines. So, unless you hold the gear, the wee Diesel Mini will pull better and be more relaxing to drive, forgiving of fluffed gear choices and confidence inspiring, leading to Joe or Joanne Bloggs being quicker, point to point.

All bets are off if you're prepared to stay above 3krpm at all times, but in our S that's not always the case (we have to pay for our own petrol, you know ;)

Anyway, meandering post off.

John (not Tahra)

Wul
28th November 2003, 06:06 PM
the AMD ecu "one touch" plug in upgrade is £345 and promises 100 bhp from the standard 75bhp.

Should liven things up nicely and can be reversed just as easily.