PDA

View Full Version : A Little Advice Needed Please

jayex
8th July 2006, 03:30 AM
OK, I am Armed with all my new products and raring to go ahead and tackle my slightly neglected paintwork :eek:. Just wanted to check I was going about this in the right way and more importantly in the right order :clown:.

I have alrealy washed and clayed the wee beastieusing a sheepskin mit and the 2 bucket method. I used Mguires Quick Clay as I have never clayed a car before in my life :I (I must say I found this really easy to use). Unfortunately this is a far as I got today so obviously I will have to repeat this step before tackling all of the following by hand :dead:.

Ok, this is what I had in mind...
Poorboys SSR2to remove light scratches and swirls
followed by NTX Tec wax
followed by a coat of EX sealant
finished off with a coat of poorboys nattys paste (blue)

hopfully resulting in a nice shiny happy Mini :D and more likely a very sore arm :disapprove:
any advise or tips appreciated 8)).

Sweeney
8th July 2006, 03:33 AM
so long as you've clayed the paint completely, i found tar spots on mine which had been neglectedignored :D and were very hard to get off with the clay...

If your positive the paints spotless and smooth then wire in, your plan sounds fine with me :) obviously allowing time for the polishes/waxes to each take their effect.

jayex
8th July 2006, 03:39 AM
oh.. how long to i wait between stages - i know i have to give the EX as long as poss but didn't know you were suposed to wait between the others, do you think its possible to get a half decent result by hand? cheers for the help sweeny :cool:

MartinSullivan
8th July 2006, 03:40 AM
Jayex, if you want some practice my car is in the long stay car park at Aberdeen airport ;) - Cheers Sully x

jayex
8th July 2006, 03:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

Jayex, if you want some practice my car is in the long stay car park at Aberdeen airport ;) - Cheers Sully x

PML.. ha ha Sully... i will be right on that ;)- Cheeky Monkey :p

Sweeney
8th July 2006, 03:43 AM
well generally once the product has "dried" to its buffing off stage its ok to do the next layer of whatever, but i find that leaving it a couple hours helps. Different products have different reactions and results.

Hence why scottiecoops is a week long job :)

I however don't have the opportunity to take as long as that mine is a day and a half tops.

Wul
8th July 2006, 05:55 AM
Some people say you should leave 24hrs between each product to allow them to cure properly on the paint - this means a lot of washing unless you have a garage!! 8)

jayex
8th July 2006, 06:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by jayex

[quote]Originally posted by Wul

Some people say you should leave 24hrs between each product to allow them to cure properly on the paint - this means a lot of washing unless you have a garage!! 8)

:eek:i'm loosing the will to live lol ;)... dont think i will be doing that - my arm really would fall off :p do i need a paint cleaner before the SSR2 do you think or are the products above ok? 8)

Wul
8th July 2006, 09:12 PM
Nah - the SSR2 will do the trick after claying.

It's only between the wax coats you should leave timeto cure.

OBN
25th August 2006, 06:11 PM
What's this 'clay' thing everyone's talking about?!?! Think I need an idiots guide to achieving a shiny car.

Is there a step by step guide somewhere or can someone give me a definitive list of products and the correct order to use them?

Burple
25th August 2006, 07:06 PM
THe Clay Bar is just what it sounds like :D
A small bar of clay (like plasticene) for cleaning your paint. After washing the car, you use it to get rid of surface blemishes and sticky marks. It'll get rid of tar sports, bugs etc (and old polish?), all the crap that the shampoo won't touch. It makes your paint feel new again!
You hav to polish, wax, cuddle your paint after using it again tho, but the difference to the car is amazing!

Used it for the first time a few months back, and all I could do after I polished the car was stand there and gaze at it for hours! :I:cool::D:D:D

For a simple guide,
-wash the car (preferabley with the two bucket method- one to wash, one to rinse the sponge / wash mit)
-Clay the car (remember to keep the clay lubricated -either with the supplied quick detailer or a solution of shampoo/ washing up liquid and water)
-Wax / polish with some of the products discussed around tese parts.

I use Meguiars NXT tech wax, then some Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection, then some Megs Hot Wheels on the tyres, and some Megs trim detailer on the black plastic trim.

Don't forget you can use the clay bar on your windows too to leave them smooth as my heid :D:D:D:p:p

OBN
25th August 2006, 07:21 PM
Sounds good, thanks. Next question... where's the best place to get those products?

bpirie1000
25th August 2006, 07:32 PM
Think your all missing the Obvious One

"Where does this." and "How Much"

Burple
25th August 2006, 07:35 PM
Wel I get mine from Autosave / sometimes Halfrauds in Dundee...
There should be somewhere close to you that does it... wherever you stay! :cool::D