PDA

View Full Version : Run flats let me down with photos

monkimagic
7th July 2006, 12:48 AM
Justine had a puncture while out in Banchory, drove home (15 miles ) at 45mph, when she got home I went out to look at the wheel and the rim is a mess, bloody Runflats, I thought they would be ok givin the short distance and the speed she came home at but no, the rim is ****ed.:disapprove:

GGrrr:mad::mad:, Am I wrong, or should the Alloy have been ok ?

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z6xzb4.jpg

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z6xzkg.jpg

http://i6.tinypic.com/1z6xzya.jpg

Sweeney
7th July 2006, 01:14 AM
they all claim to go for a minimum of 80 kilometres at 50mph max, some even saying you wouldn't notice you had a puncture.

The alloy should have been ok unless the run flat tyres you have require specific alloys.

stoney
7th July 2006, 01:36 AM
i would put a clame in if it was a run flat as i have done that and my alloy was fine all tyer manafuters have a tyre test center u can send the tyer 2 but bmw should do that !!!!

Bignorm
7th July 2006, 01:58 AM
IF I WAS YOU I WOULD TAKE IT TO THE LOCAL DEALER AND THEY WOULD SEND IT TO THE MANUFACTOR FOR A CLAIM MATE

john
7th July 2006, 02:49 AM
Before we all jump the gun can we see a photo of the damage??:)

Big Col
7th July 2006, 03:05 AM
<leaps merrily over the gun> I've driven on deflated runflats twice mate and both times I wouldn't have noticed I had a puncture if it wasn't for the wee light and a wee bit slippery round corners. The rims should be ok.

john
7th July 2006, 03:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
<leaps merrily over the gun> I've driven on deflated runflats twice mate and both times I wouldn't have noticed I had a puncture if it wasn't for the wee light and a wee bit slippery round corners. The rims should be ok.

Me TOO thats why I wanted to see the damage!!

monkimagic
7th July 2006, 03:34 AM
I will get a photo. Rob at Silletts was not impressed, but I left the tryes there.

Gonna have to go back tomorrow and pick them up.

The Alloy looks like it has been curbed all the way around and its quite sharp

AndyP & Lenore
7th July 2006, 03:37 AM
We took a JCW S out for a test drive a year or so back. Had it up to 90 60 on the straights and it didn't feel quite right. The salesman said they'd have it looked over. Turned out one of the back tyres was flat. No run flat indicator light came on.

The moral of the story is at 90 60 it only just felt "not quite right".

Back to dealer!

N12 JLK
7th July 2006, 04:43 AM
Bummer, I got a flat today also on the Avensis:(, soory about you wheel.

Big Col
7th July 2006, 02:58 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

Well why didn't you SAY that then ya grumpy ol' curmudgeon? :D:blackeye:

Burple
7th July 2006, 06:05 PM

quote:Originally posted by john

Well why didn't you SAY that then ya grumpy ol' curmudgeon? :D:blackeye:

Jeez, somebody's been reading his 'Word of the Day' Toilet Paper...

:p:p:p:p:p:p

sleepyrascal
8th July 2006, 07:43 AM
Eh.... thats nothing to do with run flates bud! Thats pure mad mental kerbage!!!!

I have had 4 punctures with my RFs and the tyre keeps its shape almost entirely! In fact I drove to Edinburgh and back at up to 80 mph on a flat tyre and didn't notice!!

monkimagic
8th July 2006, 09:06 AM
No way:dead:, this was not there before, every other alloy is fine,no curbing. Infact this is not even the wheel we park curbside,

When I drove over to Silletts to get the tyres replaced it was making a hell of a racket.( a slapping sound, not unlike a normal flat tyre ) I had to stop on riverside and put air in, then it was fine for awhile but stated again close to Silletts

sleepyrascal
8th July 2006, 09:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic

No way:dead:, this was not there before, every other alloy is fine,no curbing. Infact this is not even the wheel we park curbside,

When I drove over to Silletts to get the tyres replaced it was making a hell of a racket.( a slapping sound, not unlike a normal flat tyre ) I had to stop on riverside and put air in, then it was fine for awhile but stated again close to Silletts

Well as i said i have driven fr extended periods of time at high speeds on a fully punctured run flat (more than once) and I have never had this happen!!! One of these time I was a bit red faced becasue the car was in for a service and it took the service guy actually telling me i had a puncture before I realised. Of course I ignored the persistant run flat light in the car becasue it always comes on 'for no reason' :D

If that damage was done whilst you were driving it wouldnt have been a flapping sound. It would have been a dull thud accomapnied by a bump. That is kerb damage or something similar. You can see how the metal has been wedged inwards, just like a kerbed wheel does.

The only other thing would be if you had totally minced the poor tyre on something which disabled the functionality of the run flat. That could explain the flapping noise. But then I would expect to see a flat spot type injury rather than what you have.

ianking
10th July 2006, 12:26 AM
I had a flat tyre in my 120D sport. Called the BMW emergency line and thay said the usual story. drive at max speed of ........etc etc. I only got about 3 miles up the road doing an extra safe 40mph when the tyre started coming off the wheel. Knackered the rim of the wheel up big time. Had to get BMW to tow the car home. Supplying dealer wouldnt honour me a wheel either. I was rather angry.

Mini Me
10th July 2006, 04:25 AM
quote:Originally posted by sleepyrascal

Eh.... thats nothing to do with run flates bud! Thats pure mad mental kerbage!!!!

well,:eek::eek::blackeye: i have to agree , seen thet sort of damage before mate, it hte tyre had given way totaly, the rim would be fu@8ed all the way round, and worse than that...

IMHO..........

X30YES
10th July 2006, 06:17 AM
Pot hole ..:question: