PDA

View Full Version : Nasa- Discovery

Scottie
5th July 2006, 07:07 AM
well it has launched ok. fingers crossed all goes well on the return trip. 1970's electronics yikes scary thought and to think when/if replaced it will be with 1990's electronics. I reckon they should go back to the Saturn 5 (Apollo) rockets most successful space vehicle (Apollo13 aside) but they got it home.:D

To think the computing power of the Saturn rocket was no more than a simple calculator:eek: for each instruction the rocket had to follow a coded number message which was sent up by Nasa computers and it took 8 minutes for the computer on the Saturn rocket to work out what it was to do next. Saturn 5 was the one that took us to the Moon which is pretty amazing when you think about how quick your typed message can appear here or how quickly you can send a e-mail to other side of the world using todays computers.

Yer I am a space geek.:I surely I am not the only one.:question:

X30YES
5th July 2006, 01:43 PM
<spaced out>:D:D

X30YES
5th July 2006, 01:46 PM
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/minirocket.jpg

Big Col
5th July 2006, 03:06 PM
Weeelll actually Fi there were only 17 Apollo missions and there have been about 115 space shuttle launches so you'd have to clarify the "most successful space vehicle" :)

Gismo
5th July 2006, 04:18 PM
Fingers crossed the 5 bits of debris that fell off during take off do not affect the shuttle in any way :eek:

Big Col
5th July 2006, 04:21 PM
I think Nasa have said that they wont. They've got a spacewalk planned with that Brittis chappie to see if the arm could be used as a stable platform to repair the wingtips in orbit so hopefully they'd spot any problems when they do that anyway.

Scottie
5th July 2006, 05:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

Weeelll actually Fi there were only 17 Apollo missions and there have been about 115 space shuttle launches so you'd have to clarify the "most successful space vehicle" :)

Basically because there was never any fatalities on Appllo missions and there was never any problems on launch. All crews were returned home safely.

So much so that Nasa are currently considering going back to using Apollo type rockets for the future of space travel.

euan
5th July 2006, 07:15 PM
I think it'll be a shame when they stop using the shuttle, it's an iconic design and a great piece of engineering.

AndyP & Lenore
5th July 2006, 10:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

Basically because there was never any fatalities on Appllo missions and there was never any problems on launch. All crews were returned home safely.

So much so that Nasa are currently considering going back to using Apollo type rockets for the future of space travel.

Not entirely true. Was it not Apollo 2 or 3 that a fire in the cockpit killed all 3 crew before the craft even took off? Granted, this wasn't a mid-flight space incident, but still a loss of lives all the same.:(

Scottie
5th July 2006, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Not entirely true. Was it not Apollo 2 or 3 that a fire in the cockpit killed all 3 crew before the craft even took off? Granted, this wasn't a mid-flight space incident, but still a loss of lives all the same.:(

Andy that was the Apollo Saturn 1.B rocket. If you read my original post I was talking about the Saturn 5 rocket.:p:D

indigomatt
5th July 2006, 11:23 PM
Hmmmm....which one did Tintin & Snowy go to the moon in...?

:D:D:D

http://remick.net/tintin/Covers.JPG/dmoon.JPG

Scottie
5th July 2006, 11:27 PM
quote:Originally posted by indigomatt

Is that a Scottie dog I see in the back of that motor.;):cool::p:D

AndyP & Lenore
5th July 2006, 11:38 PM

Andy that was the Apollo Saturn 1.B rocket. If you read my original post I was talking about the Saturn 5 rocket.:p:D

<cough>knowitall<cough>:D;)

Scottie
5th July 2006, 11:54 PM

<cough>knowitall<cough>:D;)

it is only because I have had to listen to it for years and years from Allan.;)

AeroJonny
6th July 2006, 02:00 AM
I know it'll be 1990s electronics but that's because it's probably the best balance between safety and modernity that NASA can strike at this moment in time. In the cases of technology used in military and space applications, it is always slightly behind the cutting edge as the programmers need to spend years eliminating every single bug and flaw in the system to make sure the system is safe.

On a slightly ironic note, I just finished my Physics degree at Glasgow uni and there's a huge poster outside one of the main physics lecture theatres...it's of the shuttle Columbia, bit wierd seeing it all the time knowing what happened to it.

X30YES
6th July 2006, 05:10 AM

quote:Originally posted by indigomatt

Its Snowy dafty :p

AndyP & Lenore
6th July 2006, 05:58 AM
Remind me.... which Apollo mission was this?

http://www.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/~aka/ws95/pic/grandda8.jpg

The Bull
7th July 2006, 09:42 PM

Would it not be a Westie if it is white? :p

Sweeney
7th July 2006, 09:52 PM
indeed it would :D

duncan
7th July 2006, 11:30 PM
I'm amazed that the Discovery could still go on another voyage after all these years!

http://www.angusanddundee.co.uk/alpha/images/attractions/disco.jpg