PDA

View Full Version : New LR Freelander

lightbody
3rd July 2006, 07:23 PM
Saw the new Freelander in Autocar... am not impressed. The passion has gone. I've always been a huge fan of Land Rover.

It strikes me that the 4 new models now are as follows

Big Range Rover ("Range Rover")
Big Range Rover 2 ("Discovery/LR3")
Smaller Range Rover ("Range Rover Sport")
Even Smaller Range Rover ("Freelander")

Whats happened to Land Rover? The utilitarian vehicles that were available also in commercial form at reasonable prices?

I'm a fan of the old Freelander - it looked like a LAND ROVER, not a Range Rover, I loved the 3dr with the removable rear hard top/soft top- now they only offer a RR-style 5 door... sad.

I'm also a fan of the original discovery before it got bloated.

Scottie
3rd July 2006, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

Saw the new Freelander in Autocar... am not impressed. The passion has gone. I've always been a huge fan of Land Rover.

It strikes me that the 4 new models now are as follows

Big Range Rover ("Range Rover")
Big Range Rover 2 ("Discovery/LR3")
Smaller Range Rover ("Range Rover Sport")
Even Smaller Range Rover ("Freelander")

Whats happened to Land Rover? The utilitarian vehicles that were available also in commercial form at reasonable prices?

I'm a fan of the old Freelander - it looked like a LAND ROVER, not a Range Rover, I loved the 3dr with the removable rear hard top/soft top- now they only offer a RR-style 5 door... sad.

I'm also a fan of the original discovery before it got bloated.

sorry got to disagree with you been following the LR2 for a while now and think it is a very smart looking 4x4

serious I may buy one to sit along side my LR3 hopefully in the orange colour/

going to the VIP launch at the Motor show.:D

check this out: http://www.freel2.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=21

ianking
3rd July 2006, 08:14 PM
The old freelander was pure pi*h. I know several folk that have had them and they have all broken down or required new engines or gearboxes within the first year. The old freelander was simply an old rover 200 with big wheels and big bumpers. If you want to go Land rovering them you need a disco or a range rover.
Lets hope the new Freelander is much better.

My neighbour has just bought a new range rover sport V8 suprecharged with big 6 pot calipers and the lot. Its a good looking car and goes like stink as well. 12mpg though.
I was in the new disco3 at the highland show and it looked good. Much better than the old discos.

euan
3rd July 2006, 08:15 PM
Looks too much like a Grand Cherokee to me from the front.

I like these cars, if I was buying a 4x4 I think it would be from this lot, but I don't like the nose on that Freelander. The rest of it could be anything from the RR stable.

zimbo
4th July 2006, 01:43 AM
If I was able to afford a 4x4 then there is no doubt about it, it would have to be a Range Rover Sport in either metallic Orange or Black... :p:D

Big Gordy
4th July 2006, 05:25 AM
Ohh dear:disapprove: It looks like LR have gone the same way as some other car manufacturers and given there range a 'corporate nose' job:dead: I liked the previous 3 door Freelander Sport but as ianking rightly says the build quality and relaibility are dreadfull:(

S7JGW
4th July 2006, 08:21 PM
They do still do the defender dont they?
Ive never really like the frelander much but like the disco.
Jim

ianking
4th July 2006, 08:27 PM
Yes you can still get the 90 and the 110