PDA

View Full Version : Now that England are out...

minidriver#1
2nd July 2006, 03:26 AM
Perhaps we'll get some decent commentary on the matches.

duncan
2nd July 2006, 04:00 AM
Ian Wright said he was only interested in England. Hope he's the first one on the plane home.

Coop
2nd July 2006, 04:24 AM
The English media are in tears just now.

Gutted :D

Sheilz
2nd July 2006, 05:25 AM
so is VB.

Sweeney
2nd July 2006, 05:38 AM
Im not an active england supporter, but i was hoping they'd beat portugal! I reckon the ref was a little biased towards portugal; the rooney sending off was rediculous, it was an accidental incident as he was being shoved and pulled about all ends trying to get his balance (in possesion of the ball the whole time i might add). If anything a yellow card would've seemed ample enough.

Although did anyone notice how quick alan was to cast the blame of "the england downfall" on sven and his tactics?

X30YES
2nd July 2006, 05:56 AM
ok .let me stamp on your Kelvin Halls !!!!!

X30YES
2nd July 2006, 05:57 AM
So Who are left ...France !! Italy or Germany the hosts , Pt No for me

Sweeney
2nd July 2006, 05:58 AM
ach he didn't mean it though :p. Simply trying to get up off the grass and the portugal defence only know how to dive or foul so they were trying to bring him down on his ar$3.

Same way the ref allowed the "accidental" handball for one of englands big breaks and crosses...

The Dogfather
2nd July 2006, 06:09 AM
I'm disappointed but the team played well with only 10 men and looked more likely to score than portugal, we just can't take penalties. Perhaps with a more tactically aware manager we can go further next time.......

Not sure about the sending off, if it was intentional then he deserved to go. I'm not convinced he meant to stamp on his brazils though looked like an accident to me.

Ronaldo better have that move to Madrid lined up after the camera caught him winking at the bench when Rooney got sent off, or one of his 'team mates' back at United might get his own back during training.

Scottie
2nd July 2006, 06:21 AM
oh dear. It's seems no matter how good the boys are playing for England nowadays they just can't cut the muster.

Shouln't really blame anyone but the players they are there to do a job and it just wasn't good enough.

Same goes for Brazil.

The Dogfather
2nd July 2006, 06:53 AM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41835000/jpg/_41835960_rooney4162.jpg

Its enough to bring tears to your eyes :D

Smitty
2nd July 2006, 08:30 AM
Got to say, england defended superb once down to 10 men!

Finally the Swede has gone but i don't see McLaren doing anything special, if anything, i think he'll be worse.

Best player on the park - OWEN HARGREAVES:eek::eek:
Enough of that pro english stuff!!:p;)

Thank f*ckin god for Ricardo! What a legend!! I reckon we give him the key to Scotland!! COME ON PORTUGAL!!:D:D:D:approve:

N12 JLK
2nd July 2006, 07:10 PM
quote:
Enough of that pro english stuff!!:p;)

Thank f*ckin god for Ricardo! What a legend!! I reckon we give him the key to Scotland!! COME ON PORTUGAL!!:D:D:D:approve:

:D:D:D

X30YES
2nd July 2006, 08:23 PM
Talking about out ...whens the cricket on !!:p:D:D

Sweeney
2nd July 2006, 08:25 PM
cricket, theres one thing i don't think i'll ever understand :p

gill
2nd July 2006, 09:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

So true ... ;):D

phantom
2nd July 2006, 11:13 PM
Each game has made a very clear message that racism cannot be tolerated, quite clearly it isn't sinking in. :disapprove:

euan
2nd July 2006, 11:42 PM
Tell you what, I think it was deliberate by Rooney...

Ricardo played a blinder, really decent penalty saves, but then he had a fairly decent chance as none of the England pens were particularly good.

If Germany get past Italy, it's their tournament.

minidriver#1
3rd July 2006, 02:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

I'm disappointed but the team played well with only 10 men and looked more likely to score than portugal, we just can't take penalties. Perhaps with a more tactically aware manager we can go further next time.......

Not sure about the sending off, if it was intentional then he deserved to go. I'm not convinced he meant to stamp on his brazils though looked like an accident to me.

Ronaldo better have that move to Madrid lined up after the camera caught him winking at the bench when Rooney got sent off, or one of his 'team mates' back at United might get his own back during training.

Country before club. I'd have done the same thing. It's nothing personal unless Rooney makes it personal.

X30YES
3rd July 2006, 06:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

Twas a joke ..OUT = Cricket:I

Scottie
3rd July 2006, 07:01 PM
you have got to laugh though. You'd think some major event had happened in the world the way the TV stations reports on the England's departure from the world cup.

You had one reporter at the hotel saying they due to depart ( e'hh who cares) you had another at the airport saying what time they were due to arrive here in the UK (e'hh who cares) then they went on to say some players will depart the plane in London others will fly up to Manchester. This is just a example there was many similar examples.

Jee'z think our reporting neighbours south of the border have lost the plot. Never mind though we still have our British hopeful in the Tennis.;)

euan
3rd July 2006, 07:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

you have got to laugh though. You'd think some major event had happened in the world the way the TV stations reports on the England's departure from the world cup.

You had one reporter at the hotel saying they due to depart ( e'hh who cares) you had another at the airport saying what time they were due to arrive here in the UK (e'hh who cares) then they went on to say some players will depart the plane in London others will fly up to Manchester. This is just a example there was many similar examples.

Jee'z think our reporting neighbours south of the border have lost the plot. Never mind though we still have our British hopeful in the Tennis.;)

So so true. Why should I care if the plane took off at 14:42? It's enough to say they are coming home today, end of.

And now they'll have a huge debate if it should be Gerrard or Terry as captain. To quote SC, eh, who cares!

Had it been in Scotland, the captain saying he doesn't want to do it anymore would hardly get any press.

Burple
3rd July 2006, 07:36 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

Perhaps we'll get some decent commentary on the matches.

Doubtful.
It'll still be all "England could have beaten these guys if only..."

At least when the matches are on now, the news and updates about the teams might actually be about the teams who are playing that particular game, not another England update.

To the England team tho, well done, they played a blinder with 10 men, Hargreaves was excellent. Rooney, well the wee troll just lost the plot a la Beckham. First couple of times I saw it, I thought it was an accident, but on watching more replays, it looked pretty deliberate.

The Dogfather
3rd July 2006, 09:52 PM
I suppose the best thing about England being out is that the there won't be anymore beatings. Another English fan was beaten up last night in Aberdeen, he was attacked by a group of 11. Front page of the P&J.

X30YES
3rd July 2006, 10:21 PM
Be a lot less in Germany as well :p;)

The Dogfather
3rd July 2006, 10:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

I think you'll find there has been very little trouble with English fans, most arrest were 'preventative' i.e. before anything happened. Otherwise its been more about rowdiness and too much beer.

There's certainly been no beatings.

X30YES
3rd July 2006, 10:56 PM
Riots ,throwing chairs,beer glasses dont count then :p

euan
3rd July 2006, 11:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

quote:Originally posted by X30YES

I think you'll find there has been very little trouble with English fans, most arrest were 'preventative' i.e. before anything happened. Otherwise its been more about rowdiness and too much beer.

There's certainly been no beatings.

Well, none that have been publicised.

To be fair, when I was there all the england fans were good fun. They were rowdy yes, and there was trouble that was unreported - in Frankfurt there were scuffles with locals that we heard about but were not reported. But on the whole they were on best behaviour.

The Dogfather
3rd July 2006, 11:09 PM
There wasn't a riot, some chairs were thrown by German fans at a group of English fans, some (very few) English fans reacted. The beer glasses are actually plastic cups. Considering there's been 315,000 English fans in Germany and the amount of alcohol supplied there's been very little trouble.

X30YES
3rd July 2006, 11:16 PM
Riot ''a public disturbance during which a group of angry people becomes noisy and out of control, often damaging property and acting violently.''

Riot police have been removing England supporters from Stuttgart's main square after chairs and bottles were thrown by small groups of rival fans.
Police have so far arrested 150 England fans who were being held together in a corner of the city's main square. That figure is expected to rise to 250.
A further 122 England supporters arrested in Stuttgart on Friday night are also expected to be held until after Sunday's game against Ecuador.
Missiles were thrown during the initial confrontation and the police, some on horseback, then created a barrier to keep the fans about 50m apart.

During the clash several English and German fans exchanged punches and one man in a Germany shirt was seen with his face covered in blood, the Press Association news agency reported.

Erwin Hetger, head of the state police, said: "We had no problems at all with the French, Swiss and Dutch fans that were having a great party here.

"It all changed when the English fans arrived. The atmosphere changed. The incidents began late yesterday evening." :disapprove:

The Dogfather
3rd July 2006, 11:24 PM
Angus, even the Germans said, that apart from a little too much alcohol the English Fans have been well behaved. Your talking about a stand off between German and English Fans that was started by the Germans throwing chairs.

I've seen more trouble in Aberdeen on a Friday night.

X30YES
3rd July 2006, 11:26 PM
So the BBC report and post shi%e then :clown:

The Dogfather
3rd July 2006, 11:29 PM
No they reported what I've said, they never called it a riot.

X30YES
3rd July 2006, 11:49 PM
After a six-hour stand off with police, at least 150 English supporters and a handful of Germans were arrested in the central square in Stuttgart on Saturday night. The arrests on Friday night and in the early hours of Saturday more than doubled the number of UK citizens held so far during the World Cup. 300 England fans held in Stuttgart
More than 300 England fans are in German police custody after a night of shame ahead of the national team's World Cup second round match against Ecuador.
Trouble flared in Stuttgart's main square for a second night as rival English and German supporters threw bottles and plastic chairs and tables at each other.
Police detained about 200 England fans on Saturday night and 122 overnight on Friday. They could be kept in the cells until Monday morning.
Total arrests of all nationalities during the tournament stands at more than 4,000.
More English fans have been arrested than any other nationality so far .

The Dogfather
3rd July 2006, 11:55 PM
English football's hooligan reputation has been banished after a successful World Cup for fans, the UK police chief in Germany has said.
Assistant Chief Constable Steve Thomas was speaking after 80,000 England fans travelled to Gelsenkirchen to watch England lose on penalties to Portugal.

It was a record number of fans abroad for one game and meant a total of 315,000 travelled to Germany.

He condemned the troublemakers in the tournament "as drunken English yobs".

His comments came as the England team returned to the UK from Germany, dropping southern-based players off at Stansted.

But the Manchester-bound plane then had to be diverted to Liverpool to drop off northern members of the team because of poor weather.

Mr Thomas said: "I have not said it till now but they are not football supporters, they are drunken yobs. They are the drunken English yobs that do exactly the same behaviour at home in our towns and cities."

He said how and why that was allowed to happen in the UK had to be addressed.

I was convinced we had a team who could reach the final

Sven-Goran Eriksson

Beckham quits as England captain
England out: Your comments
Party over for fans

German police arrested 120 England football fans in Gelsenkirchen after the team was knocked out of the World Cup.

They said many of the detentions were preventative and added that all of the fans had already been released.

Of the 6,000 people arrested so far in Germany, 711 have been English. Figures revealed that 510 of those arrests were in Stuttgart and 105 throughout the day on Saturday in Gelsenkirchen.

They included 50 people arrested for throwing beer at performers on a stage in the town centre.

Jury out

Many of the arrests seen in Germany have been what the German police call preventative arrests. Most of those came in Stuttgart.

Mr Thomas said the jury was still out on that approach.

Banning orders for people arrested in Germany are likely to number in the tens.

Simon Clements, head of the UK CPS Operation in Germany, said: "It is the first time prosecutors have been deployed in Germany. The operation has gone well."

He said banning orders may be sought for a tiny minority held for football-related violence. or who were arrested for other offences but have a previous history.

Outdated stereotypes

Consul General in Gelsenkirchen Dr Peter Tibber said a largely well-behaved travelling support would leave Germany having dismissed outdated stereotypes of the country.

He said Germany had shown how they could party, had a sense of humour, and the country was somewhere to come to watch good football and have a holiday.

As fans travelled home after England's exit from the tournament, Kevin Miles, of the Football Supporters Federation, praised fans for their good behaviour and thanked the German authorities for the way they had welcomed people to their cities, especially to watch the tournament on giant screens.

X30YES
3rd July 2006, 11:57 PM
More English fans have been arrested than any other nationality so far .

The Dogfather
3rd July 2006, 11:58 PM
Perhaps the fact that there were more English fans than any other nation, bar the Germans, was why more English fans were arrested. Given the old stereotypes this may have been an over-reaction by the Germans.

315,000 England fans visited Germany - that's 1/15 of Scotland's population.

X30YES
4th July 2006, 12:14 AM
So that fact makes it ok to have the most arrests ,pish , no getting away from that fact !!!...hey least they won something in Germany !!!!!!! and what ever the 1/15 of Scotlands population has to do with it I don't know ,at least when the wee jocks were last in the WC/Euro champs they won something also ,I dont follow football so Im not sure which competition it was ,
The images of snarling English and jolly Scots could hardly be more different, but no one can explain how this has come about. Since the English fans began to build their reputation as the principal exporters of hooliganism, the Scots have been almost as much of a byword for good behaviour.

1990 Scots fans had become the good guys, officially nominated by FIFA as the best fans of the World Cup in Italy.
The most probable explanation of the difference in behaviour - and the one backed by the Scots themselves - is that, as a people apparently more able to handle national fervour, they will do anything rather than be confused with the English.

Scottie
4th July 2006, 12:29 AM
is this a competition between you two.

Jeez GIVE IT A REST. WE DINNA WANT TO READ IT.:D:(

Big Col
4th July 2006, 12:31 AM
<YAWNS>

This thread should be retitled thank fek the world cup is nearly over so we can get away from the same old boring ass argument that we keep having on here again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again these days! VB and Angus can't you two just email each other??? :)

Gismo
4th July 2006, 01:29 AM
Topic locked :evil: i'm fed up with this never ending saga of i'm right and you're wrong attitudes