PDA

View Full Version : Pitbull attack

monkimagic
26th June 2006, 04:04 AM
Was woken up early yesterday to the sound of dog fighting, yelping and growling, this is not the 1st time this has happened but got up and looked out anyway as it was going on abit longer than usual, a spaniel had been mauled by a pitbull, nasty wounds on the poor Spaniel but just as opened the curtains I saw a the Pitbull turn on its owner, bit him on the ear and started dragging him down the street, ****ing vicious brutal attack, grabbed my clothes I legged it out as there was only the old guy there who owned the Spaniel, when I got out the old guy had the dog by the hind legs as was kicking it! I ran straight at it and booted the dog as hard as I could to wind it and hoped it would let go, it did but clocked a wee terrier and went for it, more fighting ensued until the owner of the Pit bull came running over and threw himself on top of the Pitbull and after a few sharp punches managed to get the dog back on its lead.

What a mess the guy was in he was bleeding from his ear, neck, Knees elbows, everyone was up by this stage, kids and women were crying. I was very shaken up but what a way to be woken :sleepy:

Not a pet when its bred to fight.

Sweeney
26th June 2006, 04:09 AM
Ah, make me all paranoid now letting my dog out into the garden! :eek:

If what went on is how you described, then the pitbull SHOULD be put down. I hope the guy is alright from being bitten and wounded etc. Hope you gave it a good square kick in the nuts! :D

monkimagic
26th June 2006, 04:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

Ah, make me all paranoid now letting my dog out into the garden! :eek:

If what went on is how you described, then the pitbull SHOULD be put down. I hope the guy is alright from being bitten and wounded etc. Hope you gave it a good square kick in the nuts! :D

I spoke to the owner of the Spaniel and offered myself as a witness, but I ill leave it upto him too pursue it.

Sweeney
26th June 2006, 04:17 AM
How did the spaniel get on? Vet sort it out or did it have to be put down?

monkimagic
26th June 2006, 04:29 AM
Its been at the vets all day yeaterday was due out today but have'nt seen it or the old guy yet

Gismo
26th June 2006, 04:40 AM
The owner of the pitbull should be taking it to the vets for a humane death, no way these dogs should be allowed on the streets.
I actually thought that all these types of dogs had to wear a muzzle after a spate of attacks

Scottie
26th June 2006, 04:48 AM
I hate to hear that hope the Spaniel will be ok. Trouble is that the Pitbll is only doing was hs been bread into them:( shouldn't be a pet IMHO.

AndyP & Lenore
26th June 2006, 06:16 AM
I just don't see the attraction in these dogs. And I hope I don't offend anyone, but I include Rottweilers (SP?) and Dobermans in that too. I just don't see the point in keeping them.

Although I fully admit my opinion has been formed after being bitten by a Rotter for absolutely no reason some time ago.

A.

monkimagic
26th June 2006, 09:22 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

The owner of the pitbull should be taking it to the vets for a humane death, no way these dogs should be allowed on the streets.
I actually thought that all these types of dogs had to wear a muzzle after a spate of attacks

A muzzel and a harness, this dog had a loosely fitted studded collar :question:

Big Col
26th June 2006, 03:35 PM
Jeez man that's way outta control that mutt! I agree, nothing that powerful should be kept as a pet. There's a rottweiler in the flat downstairs from me that is the size of a frikkin shetland pony and there aint a bit of fat on it! The thing is just a wall of muscle. It is possibly the soppiest pooch in the world and is as friendly as you like but the first time I met it he was on a lead with the owner (no muzzle) and it spotted me and trotted over for a pat, despite the fact the owner was trying to walk the other way at the time. She had no chance of stopping that dog and it was only walking. I shudder to think what would happen if this thing got p1$$ed off and went for something 'cos she'd have no way at all of stopping it, just like what happened with that pit bull! I mean a dog that is all muscle and can look me in the eyeball when on it's hind legs is just WAY too scary even if it is a softie! Hope the spaniel's ok Monki. Let us know mate and good on you for running out to help! Top bloke!

X30YES
26th June 2006, 04:58 PM
I'm sure I posted on this thread yesterday ...Shoot it , ??

stoney
26th June 2006, 07:04 PM
that is shocking i say the same as A shoot the evil s**t and the dog !

monkimagic
26th June 2006, 08:35 PM
Seen the Spaniel today, doing OK, the most disturbing thing was the Spaniel shat itself when it was getting attacked. poor dog.

The Dogfather
26th June 2006, 08:39 PM
Anyone who owns a pitbull must be a bit 'wrong in the head'. The dogs are lethal and unpredictable, not a good combination.

I make the point of crossing over or going the other way whilst walking our Collie if I see any dog which looks anything like a pitbull or Staffie. Rottwielers and Dobermans are in the main OK but some do have problems because both breeds have been over bred because they were very popular.

Big Col
26th June 2006, 08:48 PM
I've never had much contact with Dobermans but the two I have seemed like nice pooches. One of the older guys in our factory in Cathcart has one of those japanese dogs an akita. Now THAT was a total psychopath of a dog! Jeez it hated EVERYONE equally!

stoney
26th June 2006, 09:14 PM
thats a wee shame i have never had a problem with dog i think it is the way they are traind and bread if a pup comes from a nasty dog the chance is the pup will become one and if u dont treat it right then it will go the same way

gill
27th June 2006, 08:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by s700ony

thats a wee shame i have never had a problem with dog i think it is the way they are traind and bread if a pup comes from a nasty dog the chance is the pup will become one and if u dont treat it right then it will go the same way

Yup, I agree with that statement... bloody awful for you first thing in the morning! Gives you quite a fright, and the dog, owner, etc involved!:(

The Dogfather
27th June 2006, 09:02 PM
Some of it is upbringing but I do think some breeds of dogs have more of a tendancy to be aggressive than others though. Also a vicous yorkshire terrier is likely to do a lot less damage than a vicous pitbull.......

Big Col
27th June 2006, 09:10 PM
Actually pitbulls tend to only be aggressive towards other dogs and not people. It's also possible for the owner to steer the dog out of these situations before they happen. Quite what the pooch was doing off a lead is beyond me.

Sheilz
28th June 2006, 08:44 AM
That's really shocking. What if the old guy is scared to report it? Perhaps its something you should reconsider? Next time it could be a child and that doesn't bear thinking about. Good on you tackling of these dogs, not everyone would have the courage.

I've got a staffie and am very aware of the bad press these dogs get but that's only when they're in the wrong hands. When we inherited Cassey I checked with the kennel club and found it is the only breed of dog that they consider 100% reliable and one of only two they consider excellent with children. Cassey had a weakness for chasing cats. had to stop this as we have a sweet little siamese. When we not long had her she would go haring mad after passing cats till one day she got hold of a neighbour's one. Amazingly she dropped the cat from her jaws when ordered to do so letting the uninjured cat live to tell the tale. I guess the thing is with any powerful dog its about training, treating the dog well and making sure you're always the boss. Fortunately she doesnt appear to bother much about cats now though she detests black crows and will chase them at every opportunity. Luckily they can fly away and laugh at her for trying.

Big Col
28th June 2006, 02:53 PM
How comes she never chased your cat Sheilz?

Oh and any update on the spaniel Monki?

minimadtez
28th June 2006, 07:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

I just don't see the attraction in these dogs. And I hope I don't offend anyone, but I include Rottweilers (SP?) and Dobermans in that too. I just don't see the point in keeping them.

Although I fully admit my opinion has been formed after being bitten by a Rotter for absolutely no reason some time ago.

A.

Certain characteristics are passed down the line through breeds.....but each individual dogs behaviour depends mostly on the way it is looked after and trained as it grows up! Rottweilers are lovely dogs and I have only ever known them to be very loyal, well behaved dogs.....my friend steves rotty cuddles up to his 1 year old son and wouldnt harm a hair on his head!!!
It is very unfair to assume all of a certain breed will have the same temperament! although in some breeds cases it is very difficult to stop the dogs vicious instincts coming through.....ie japanese Akitas.....I know of one that has made a really good family pet, but i am afraid to say in the akitas case, i do not trust them. another akita I know that lives near my old house would go for anyone and anything.....it has been reported to the police on several occasions but they do nothing about it because its owners are 'showing that they take every action to prevent injury', ie the dog wears a muzzle all the time.....which doesnt stop it chasing dogs and people. The owners cannot handle it in the slightest.
I also know another Akita....it lives on a friends farm just south of stonehaven.....it lives in a cage as it cannot be trusted with the cows or the kids.....it was let out for excercise and mauled one of their pet cats....the little girl cried, and the son shouted "ill get the gun!".....the dog is still alive, but cannot be let out of the cage....this is no way for it to live.....it should never have been put in that environment.

minidriver#1
29th June 2006, 07:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by monkimagic
more fighting ensued until the owner of the Pit bull came running over and threw himself on top of the Pitbull and after a few sharp punches managed to get the dog back on its lead.

It's a shocking story but that bit made me laugh. I've always been really weary of dogs like that, i don't think i could ever have one as a pet. At the end of the day it's not the dogs fault but when you place an animal like that in a domestic environment things are always bound to go wrong.

minidriver#1
29th June 2006, 07:14 AM

Seen the Spaniel today, doing OK, the most disturbing thing was the Spaniel shat itself when it was getting attacked. poor dog.

That's a natural instinct, humans tend to do that do.

minidriver#1
29th June 2006, 07:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by minimadtez

A.

Certain characteristics are passed down the line through breeds.....but each individual dogs behaviour depends mostly on the way it is looked after and trained as it grows up! Rottweilers are lovely dogs and I have only ever known them to be very loyal, well behaved dogs.....my friend steves rotty cuddles up to his 1 year old son and wouldnt harm a hair on his head!!!
It is very unfair to assume all of a certain breed will have the same temperament! although in some breeds cases it is very difficult to stop the dogs vicious instincts coming through.....ie japanese Akitas.....I know of one that has made a really good family pet, but i am afraid to say in the akitas case, i do not trust them. another akita I know that lives near my old house would go for anyone and anything.....it has been reported to the police on several occasions but they do nothing about it because its owners are 'showing that they take every action to prevent injury', ie the dog wears a muzzle all the time.....which doesnt stop it chasing dogs and people. The owners cannot handle it in the slightest.
I also know another Akita....it lives on a friends farm just south of stonehaven.....it lives in a cage as it cannot be trusted with the cows or the kids.....it was let out for excercise and mauled one of their pet cats....the little girl cried, and the son shouted "ill get the gun!".....the dog is still alive, but cannot be let out of the cage....this is no way for it to live.....it should never have been put in that environment.

No matter what amount of training or domestication an animal goes through it will never loose its natural instincts. It's nature, you can't defeat it. To keep a dog like that next to a child is lunacy in my opinion.

Sheilz
29th June 2006, 07:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

How comes she never chased your cat Sheilz?

Oh and any update on the spaniel Monki?

Very close monitoring and loads of bribery. The two of them will even share a bed together - as long as its Nikki's. He's our resident Dr Doolittle! The trick was to get them together going daft after ham. They will stand side by side to eat though the dog senses when Sophie doesnt want her there and she will wait patiently for her turn. She's a fabulous dog, intelligent, obedient and very easy to train. If I had to get another dog as a puppy I wouldnt hesitate to buy another as long as it came from a reputable breeder with a passion for the breed rather than one who ran a puppy farm.

Hi Paddy, anymore word on the spaniel and its owner?

Agree with the above about the Attikas. An old colleague of mine got one and by the time it was four months old other dogs veered away from it in terror even though at that point it wasn't aggressive to them. They were bred for killing bears. Pretty ferocious beasts when they're in action. beautiful animals but not suited to domestic life.

Big Col
29th June 2006, 03:11 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

That's a natural instinct, humans tend to do that do.

I think I woulda done too if I was a wee spaniel getting set about by staffie! Tht's like Judi Dench getting a doin' from Lennox Lewis!

minimadtez
29th June 2006, 04:52 PM
To keep a dog like that next to a child is lunacy in my opinion.

RUBBISH!!!!! If for example a french person murdered someone.....would you stay clear of all french people?! NO......you cant ASSUME all of the same breed will have the same temperament.....in the same way.....you cant assume all retrievers for example (known to be very friendly and loyal) are going to be friendly!

X30YES
29th June 2006, 05:30 PM
I still say shoot them :p..then birch the owners :approve:

Big Col
29th June 2006, 07:07 PM
Jeez T do you ever come on here and not fight with anyone? :)

minimadtez
29th June 2006, 07:21 PM
I get really wound up by peoples rediculous opinions about things they know nothing about! GRRRR :evil:

X30YES
29th June 2006, 07:26 PM
What about shooting the owners then ...after all they make the dogs the way they are I bet ;)

minimadtez
29th June 2006, 07:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

What about shooting the owners then ...after all they make the dogs the way they are I bet ;)

Finally some sense :)
I rehomed my dog because he was too vicious.....and couldnt be trusted. He was from a dog home. He was rehomed due to HIS temperament.....NOT his breed!! He's a collie/lab cross

Surely I get off without being shot.....he has been put in a more suitable home....where he has more space and no kids.

Big Col
29th June 2006, 08:21 PM
Jeez Angus man pick a side! 4 posts ago you said you wanted to shoot all the dogs then birch the owners, now you want to save the dogs and shot the owners! Next that'll no doubt change to shoot the owners AND birch the dogs! :)

X30YES
29th June 2006, 08:41 PM
I'm for castrating them all:p

stoney
29th June 2006, 09:52 PM
weel as most peps say its down 2 training one of the guys that lives up the stair has a staffie and my cat chaces it round the grass not the outher way round :) its not about breed its about the life thay had my big sis has a dog that had been beeten in the past even if u rasie ur voice a bit she will p her self

minidriver#1
30th June 2006, 12:58 AM

RUBBISH!!!!! If for example a french person murdered someone.....would you stay clear of all french people?! NO......you cant ASSUME all of the same breed will have the same temperament.....in the same way.....you cant assume all retrievers for example (known to be very friendly and loyal) are going to be friendly!

You're a worse flamer than i am. I agree with your argument however its a completely different context. You're talking about a human killing a human. My argument was about a dog attacking and potentially killing a human. Two completely different groups with language and behavioural barriers.

minidriver#1
30th June 2006, 01:00 AM
I get really wound up by peoples rediculous opinions about things they know nothing about! GRRRR :evil:

Since when were you an expert on peoples opinions and their personal knowledge of a particular subject. I don't think i've ever met you. I'd be interested in what experience you have in a professional environment that'd make you an expert in animal pyschology and dog-human relationships that allows you to ridicule someone's opinion the way that you do.

X30YES
30th June 2006, 01:04 AM
WOW ....:eek:Game on !! :p

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 01:10 AM
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!:blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::I;)

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 01:20 AM

Ooops. Missed this one coming in yesterday.

A few years ago I was into showing my dogs in dog shows. Went to Crufts and got 3rd place in my group - well chuffed. But at each dog show I went to you couldn't help but notice the rottweilers cages. The aggressive nature of these dogs was on show for all to see. So I'm not "assuming" anything. My opinion (which I'm fully entitled to express by the way) is based on pure fact! I've only ever seen aggressive rottweilers. I don't remember one dog in any of the shows, in any of the cages that didn't have the "murder/death/kill" look in it's eyes. And then to be bitten by one for absolutely no reason whatsoever (I was simply walking past it while it's own walked past me with the dog on it's lead), it cemented my opinion of the breed and nothing will change that. Not wanting to be labelled too much of a softy, it also wiped out any enjoyment of dog shows and I never went back. It's now 13 years since the attack, and I only have the nightmares every few months. The mental scar that dog left, lasted a hell of a lot longer than the physical one.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 01:22 AM
No matter what amount of training or domestication an animal goes through it will never loose its natural instincts. It's nature, you can't defeat it. To keep a dog like that next to a child is lunacy in my opinion.

:approve::approve::approve::approve::approve:

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 01:27 AM
Oh Aye! And another thing.

Japanese Akita's. I've only ever known them to be quiet, loyal and friendly. But I have heard some can have a bit of an agressive streak.

Sweeney
30th June 2006, 02:55 AM
My dad had a doberman when i was very very little, never harmed anyone at all but gradually it was taking not so much violent fits but just losing its temper, found out it had cancer which was causing it incredible discomfort and had to be put down.

Currently i have a wee westie, it shouts out about everything and anything, if i growl at it it'll start yapping away acting a hard nut but it's a very friendly dog and can't get enough attention from anyone be it from the first time hes met them or someone he knows. However a neighbour had a westie which would bite and go for people constantly often unprovoked and despite everything the owner did to raise it and train it, it still lost its temper and went haywire at folk.

My dad has another doberman just now and it's loopy as anything, craves attention and is incredibly friendly and protective of the family and people it knows. However it has went for quite a few people one or two being how andy described when he was bitten, just someone walked by and it went for them for no reason at all. He also has a cocker spaniel which has bitten him countless times, unprovoked and it is the same as the doberman, it is friendly and protective of people it knows. He's had them both checked out and its just a sort of personality disorder they have, something in them has just gone and they can be very violent if provoked (sometimes unprovoked).

I personally don't believe it's a case of "a doberman is violent because its a doberman" or any other breed for that matter, given that andy has said rott's were always in cages i think is just a stereotype overblown. If you think about why a lot of people have these dogs, it's normally for some form of "protection" or to feel protected and in such the breeds they can come from were raised and trained as fighters and guard dogs rather than family pet.

to sum up my input: all im saying is not all of the same breed behave the same, some are violent simply because they have a "problem" and even though raised under a caring and friendly environment it doesn't mean they won't be violent.

(i am in no way scaling down the violence that some have experienced/saw, i am only stating my opinion and experiences)

in regards to what happened with monkimagic, the dog should have had a harness on (not a collar lead; they are just not enough to properly control a dog like that) and ideally a muzzle.

monkimagic
30th June 2006, 05:26 AM

RUBBISH!!!!! If for example a french person murdered someone.....would you stay clear of all french people

I always steer clear of the french :D:D

monkimagic
30th June 2006, 05:32 AM
Saw the Spaniel today, would'nt know anything had happened, healing well, some scabs on its neck and front leg. The dog was as happy go lucky as its ever been. The old guy did't report it as he has 17 cats & 3 dogs in his council flat......:eek:

No-one knows who the guy or pitbull are or where the came from.

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 05:33 AM
Sweeny, I don't want you to misinterpret what I say. ALL dogs at a dog show are caged. From the softy-spanials to the Rotters and Dobermans.

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 05:36 AM

Saw the Spaniel today, would'nt know anything had happened, healing well, some scabs on its neck and front leg. The dog was as happy go lucky as its ever been. The old guy did't report it as he has 17 cats & 3 dogs in his council flat......:eek:

No-one knows who the guy or pitbull are or where the came from.

:eek::eek:Now there's a whole other moral argument. Should he be allowed to keep 17 frikkin cats in any house not designed for mass animal keeping?

sedgie
30th June 2006, 05:46 AM
My dog goes in a cage.....n he is a big daft soft black lab:)

Big Col
30th June 2006, 03:14 PM

couldn't help but notice the rottweilers cages. The aggressive nature of these dogs was on show for all to see. So I'm not "assuming" anything. My opinion (which I'm fully entitled to express by the way) is based on pure fact! I've only ever seen aggressive rottweilers. I don't remember one dog in any of the shows, in any of the cages that didn't have the "murder/death/kill" look in it's eyes.

Methinks you're a il bit biased against them there for obvious reasons Andy mate. Your opinion isn't based on pure fact, it's based on pure interpretation. If the dogs appeared agressive it might have a lot to do with the fact that they become agitated in unfamiliar situations and being kept in a cage surrounded by dozens of other dogs might well have spooked them. The Rottie is generally a really calm breed. Even the Kennel Club describes their temprament as "Good natured. Not nervous, aggressive or vicious. Courageous, biddable, with natural guarding instincts"

I think you just got a Psycho of the breed when you were younger mate. :(

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 04:04 PM

I think you just got a Psycho of the breed when you were younger mate. :(

Maybe.http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif

But I'll still cross the street to avoid walking past one. I'll never, ever trust one again.:(

Sweeney
30th June 2006, 04:05 PM
ah, didnt realise that andy. never been to a show :p.

although i think the fact the gentleman has that amount of animals is a whole different story :eek:

Big Col
30th June 2006, 04:10 PM
I can understand why you wouldn't trust one after that mate. They are powerful a$$ dogs!

minimadtez
30th June 2006, 04:39 PM

Since when were you an expert on peoples opinions and their personal knowledge of a particular subject. I don't think i've ever met you. I'd be interested in what experience you have in a professional environment that'd make you an expert in animal pyschology and dog-human relationships that allows you to ridicule someone's opinion the way that you do.

You HAVE met me, but nevermind......i never said i had any experience in a 'professional environment' but people on here are going on about rottweilers being vicious etc when they dont know what they are talking about........im unsubscribing from this topic before i murder someone........(wasnt passsed down through my breed though!!!)

IDIOTS :evil:

Big Col
30th June 2006, 04:45 PM
Tez you really should try and avoid posting when the painters are in! :)

Sweeney
30th June 2006, 04:59 PM
:eek:
NB: i was only expressing my opinions not what i deem as "fact" :)

Craig
30th June 2006, 05:11 PM
they have a rottweiller at work - the only one in Scotland to be used as a Police dog I am told.... I walked past the back of the van the other day and it started barking... it shook the whole van from side to side...:eek:

again, just my opinion - VERY fierce dog... if I was a crim, I wouldn't run... ;)

I think they should have one for every officer... :approve:

Scottie
30th June 2006, 05:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by craigd

I think they should have one for every officer... :approve:

yeh so it can bite the officers bum.;):p

X30YES
30th June 2006, 05:42 PM
Tez you really should try and avoid posting when the painters are in! :)
:eek:...this thread is going to the dogs now :D:D:D

Big Col
30th June 2006, 05:51 PM

they have a rottweiller at work - the only one in Scotland to be used as a Police dog I am told.... I walked past the back of the van the other day and it started barking... it shook the whole van from side to side...:eek:

Aaaaaactually mate Rotweilers tend to go very still and quiet before attacking. It's one of the things that make them unpredictable is that they really don't give a warning growl before attacking. They tend to bark when protecting their den and then go quiet when they're intend on munchin yer spleen. :)

minidriver#1
30th June 2006, 06:03 PM

You HAVE met me, but nevermind......i never said i had any experience in a 'professional environment' but people on here are going on about rottweilers being vicious etc when they dont know what they are talking about........im unsubscribing from this topic before i murder someone........(wasnt passsed down through my breed though!!!)

Why are you even posting in this topic? You've brought NOTHING of real interest to it.

Calling us idiots doesn't do your cause any good at all. Could that outburst be the result of perhaps having NO ARGUMENT?

Bye bye.

minidriver#1
30th June 2006, 06:05 PM

They tend to bark when protecting their den and then go quiet when they're intend on munchin yer spleen. :)

or the family jewels. :eek:

X30YES
30th June 2006, 06:25 PM
Who's getting dogs abuse now:D:D:D

Scottie
30th June 2006, 06:39 PM
Rotties should be:

Temperament
Good natured, not nervous, aggressive or vicious; courageous, biddable, with natural guarding instincts.

perhaps it is back to the owners thing again and not the breed.

Scottie
30th June 2006, 06:41 PM
and the Scottie.

Characteristics
Loyal and faithful. Dignified, independent and reserved, but courageous and highly intelligent.

Temperament
Bold, but never aggressive. :cool::cool::D

but I have lost count while out on walkies the amount of folk that see a Scottie and think oh trouble snappy biting wee dogs.

So it is back to this what folk perceive a certain type of dog to be but actually it is not.

X30YES
30th June 2006, 07:06 PM
< been out with a few dogs > does that count :D

Scottie
30th June 2006, 07:23 PM

what on walkies:question:;):D

stoney
30th June 2006, 08:16 PM
i they were all leading him along the gardon path ;)

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 11:08 PM

....but people on here are going on about rottweilers being vicious etc when they dont know what they are talking about...

Hmmm.http://www.x5drivers.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_chin.gif Would you like to see my scar?

Tez, when you mature enough to carry on a conversation without resorting to childish insults, I'd be delighted to discuss this further.

I'm no psychologist, but after the tinted window's thread, and now this thread, it seems to me you have real problems with people disagreeing with you.

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 11:09 PM

LOL.:D:D Did they bite?:cool:

Scottie
1st July 2006, 02:09 AM
all this talk about dogs and biting
Check these nashers out

Archie Junior Scottie

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/teeth004.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/teeth003.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/teeth001.jpg

Saunders senior Scottie. he is a old lad his teeth are not so clean.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/teeth007.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/scottiecoop/teeth006.jpg

Now I am sure agree those are massive nashers:cool:

AndyP & Lenore
1st July 2006, 03:34 AM
Nowwaitaminute......:eek:

That's one vicious lookin' dug!:eek: Muzzel required.:eek:

Snippy little terrier.:blackeye::blackeye::D:D;)

X30YES
1st July 2006, 04:49 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

what on walkies:question:;):D
well it was down the lane :p:D

The Dogfather
1st July 2006, 05:13 AM
Andy, I'm pretty sure the original Rottwieler breed had a good temprement but as they got more popular breeders became less selective over which dogs were used for breeding. My mum's uncle used to breed dogs and he had one of the very first Rottwielers in the UK, the dog was huge, a lot bigger than the Rottwielers you see around now.

In essence, the breed has been corrupted by its popularity, both physically and temprement. I think this has happened to quite a few breeds though.

Any dog has the potential to be unpredictable with children, our dog Elliott is soft as sh!te but he scared the crap out of Jackie's niece when she ran into the room screaming. He never bit her but she certainly got a very strong warning. When you consider the potential harm that a dog can do to a young child I wouldn't put something so valuable in harms way regardless of how much I trusted a dog, its just an unnecessary risk.

AndyP & Lenore
1st July 2006, 08:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Andy, I'm pretty sure the original Rottwieler breed had a good temprement but as they got more popular breeders became less selective over which dogs were used for breeding. My mum's uncle used to breed dogs and he had one of the very first Rottwielers in the UK, the dog was huge, a lot bigger than the Rottwielers you see around now.

In essence, the breed has been corrupted by its popularity, both physically and temprement. I think this has happened to quite a few breeds though.

Any dog has the potential to be unpredictable with children, our dog Elliott is soft as sh!te but he scared the crap out of Jackie's niece when she ran into the room screaming. He never bit her but she certainly got a very strong warning. When you consider the potential harm that a dog can do to a young child I wouldn't put something so valuable in harms way regardless of how much I trusted a dog, its just an unnecessary risk.

:approve: With all of that.

And if there's one thing this thread proves, it's not just the Staffies or Rotters, a bad dog is a bad dog. Regardless of breed. I still maintain that some breeds are much more receptive to "aggressive genes" during breeding. But I worked with someone during a short hiatus from the family business. He had a Border Collie. Vicious little sh1t it was. Any time I was at his house it just sat in it's bed, growled and looked at me like I was only there to take it's bone away from it. It never liked me. The feeling was mutual.

Neil has a Border Collie and it is the softest thing going. Lovely temperament. Completely loopy too.:D

Sheilz
2nd July 2006, 04:44 AM
Has anyone ever come across Kerry Blues? My dad had one and it was the sweetest natured dog ever. He chose this breed following the experience of a cousin. This lady often went out leaving her doors unlocked, as people did in those days. On one of these occasions her sister and a friend had called at the house and walked in, as you do of course. The dog greeted them warmly and lapped all the petting they would give him. When there was no sign of the sister returning the two women decided to leave BUT....the dog had other ideas! When they tried to move off the sofa the dog growled a warning, they tired again but pooch was having none of it so that the old dears had to sit and wait patiently for the sister to return. Only then would the dog allow them to move off the sofa. This took a couple of hours!

Article about dogs in the grad mag from Aberdeen Uni. Evidently the old mongrel can hold its own against the pure breeds but the best is a right pawed cross with anything and collie in it!