PDA

View Full Version : On Me Hols - Just a wee postcard

MartinSullivan
24th June 2006, 03:38 PM
[Rant On]

Well thats me just arrived at my holiday destination of choice - Kuwait, cant beat it - no beer, no women - only camels

Spent three hours trapped in the airport as nobody seemed to have a visa for us, thought I was going to end up like Tom Hanks in that film The Terminal. Finally managed to "buy" a visa, and proceeded to our western style apartment - which turned out to be a grotty tower block with no english channels on the tv. It being 2 o clock in the morning decided to make the best of a bad job and get some kip as we were supposed to be setting off for site at 6:00 in the morning. Woke up at 5:00 to the delightful sound of the local Mullah calling his flock to prayer, just got back to sleep when the alarm goes off. Showered and dressed and set off down stairs to find our driver who was supposed to be taking us for our breakfast and then to site. No sign of driver, no sign of breakfast. Driver eventually turned up and took us to clients office- where unfortunately we are now too late for breakfast, and to add insult to injury client has not arranged gate passes for site so I might as well have stayed in bed anyway as the earliest we will get on is tomorrow , and Im not holding my breath about that either.

Anyway after much arguing (Im with a 20 stone geordie, and the two of us can pretty much intimidate anyone and convince them that our ideas are best) Im now sat in a beautiful compound with swimming pool, english channels on the tv (but still no beer and women - but you cant have everything). So lazy day today and see what tomorrow brings - would rather be at home enjoying a nice party with some cold beer - but the moneys good and .... well actually thats about all you can say the money is good lol. When we arrived it was 36 degrees, bearing in mind that was 11 o clock at night - its baking out there just now but suddenly all the digital displays that usually show the temperature have stopped working as the companies out here know if it gets over 50 degrees everyone gets the day off.

So thats me here for 2 to 3 weeks, hope you lot are all enjoying yourselves and keeping out of mischief. Seen one mini out here so far - a white cooper with aero kit , looked pretty good, Im going to try and take a trip to the dealer and get prices etc just for comparison to the UK.

Anyway the weather is here wish you were beautiful or something like that

S'later Sully :D

[/rant off]

MartinSullivan
24th June 2006, 03:44 PM
One other bonus - in the executive lounge at Amsterdam the beer pump exploded just as I was filling up my glass for the umpteenth time (you have to cram 3 weeks worth of beer into your system just in case, especially as its free), anyway the stuff went everywhere including all over my nice clean t-shirt. T-shirt now smells like a brewery but I reckon by the end of the trip I might be trying to suck the remnants of the beer out of it (and before Big Col pipes up - I dont have a drink problem, apart from I cant get any except for the local homebrew which will kill you)

jayex
24th June 2006, 04:55 PM
:p glad you made it out of the airport ok then :cool: tis a bit of a worry tho - you had to "buy" a visa!! :eek:
It will be interesting to see what the prices at the dealer are like -do you have room for a Mini in your case ? i know someone who would be very interested :D:clown:
take care and enjoy.... erm well..... the weather! :cool:

Big Col
24th June 2006, 05:49 PM
Oh yeah the pump "Accidentally" exploded! Come on mate you can be honest. Were all impressed with your impressively inventive way of smuggling beer into the country! :)

X30YES
24th June 2006, 07:52 PM
'Well thats me just arrived at my holiday destination of choice - Kuwait, cant beat it - no beer, no women - only camels '.......get in quick mate and make sure you dont get a fugly one :D:D:D:D

X30YES
24th June 2006, 08:49 PM
Martin check out this guy who I worked with a few years ago Abdullah Al-Amir (http://www.q8hp.com/euro-mini_6.htm)..:D:D:D.nice guy really !!;)

MartinSullivan
24th June 2006, 10:46 PM
Cool, cheers Angus - ill stick NMS fliers on all the Minis I see :D. Our agent over here owns the BMW Mini Franchise for Kuwait, so Im hoping to get a trip to the showroom

bpirie1000
25th June 2006, 02:25 AM
Oh Martin what do you do for fun if that is your job. ???

Hee hee Glad to see your not forgetting about us......

Gismo
25th June 2006, 03:34 AM
I'm on a rig in the middle of the caspian sea on nightshift, only tv is in a healthy smoke filled wee room :disapprove:
Trying to watch the world cup aint easy, it's a cool 28 degrees through the night :cool:

Big Col
25th June 2006, 06:25 PM
Would you two stop whinging yer both frikkin minted because of it and that's why you went! Money grabbin barstewards! ;)

X30YES
25th June 2006, 07:36 PM
Norway is nice at this time of the year as well...............:D:D:D:D;)

Gismo
26th June 2006, 04:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
Would you two stop whinging yer both frikkin minted because of it and that's why you went! Money grabbin barstewards! ;)
I knew there was a reason i liked it so much :p

Scottie
26th June 2006, 04:44 AM

aye us poor folk have dull 9 to 5 jobs struggling to make ends meet.;):D

Gismo
26th June 2006, 05:04 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop
aye us poor folk have dull 9 to 5 jobs struggling to make ends meet.;):Dcoughspluttersneeze :I

sh@z
26th June 2006, 06:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan
...delightful sound of the local Mullah calling his flock to prayer

Kind of unnecessary i feel...

And, you are in a islamic country, for whatever reason, so the no alcohol is kind of a no brainer don't you think, as is with the women but that varies all across the middle east.

Just a bit crude really...

Big Col
26th June 2006, 03:25 PM
And this thread goes the way of the whinge as well. This is getting seriously out of control on here! Shaz I'm pretty sure ol MS wasn't having a pop at any religion he was just having a gripe as I would do if I was woken up by a catholic priest or a 7th day evangalis or a 9th level lemon sash grand wizard from the holy church of Rikki Lake!!! It was hardly a complaint about the Mullah's religion! It was a complaint at being woken up by him! <begins nutting monitor> WHAT'S GOT INTO EVERYONE ON HERE????

X30YES
26th June 2006, 05:09 PM
Another VB in the making :eek::(
Well Sully I hope your view from your Hotel is a bit better than my one , guess you will see sand and more sand , I see sea and more sea , or am I all at sea :D:D. Must say the early mornings are quite nice out here just now .Till the fog gets here that is :p
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/CopyofBrent.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/CopyofPicture005.jpg

Shalom ....:pIs that PC ;)

Big Col
26th June 2006, 05:14 PM
Where abouts are you Angus?

X30YES
26th June 2006, 05:19 PM
Shell Brent Field :D..........with the trip via Norway(Bergen) when its fog bound here or Shetland ....great ;), but at £8 a pint :(

Scottie
26th June 2006, 05:21 PM
Where abouts are you Angus?

he is at Nigg the knackers yard for old foggies and Rigs.;):D:p:blackeye::kiss::kiss:

Big Col
26th June 2006, 05:42 PM
What platform you on mate? My buddy Stu in here is the Weir focal point for the Brent. :)

Big Col
26th June 2006, 05:48 PM
Hang on...£8 a pint!!!!! That's obscene! Mind you...bet MS would pay twice that right about now! :D

GAJ
26th June 2006, 06:04 PM
Hang on...£8 a pint!!!!! That's obscene! Mind you...bet MS would pay twice that right about now! :D

An Aberdonian???? He'd cadge a pint from his Geordie mate!;)

X30YES
26th June 2006, 06:19 PM
What platform you on mate? My buddy Stu in here is the Weir focal point for the Brent. :)
Bravo Col

Big Col
26th June 2006, 06:36 PM
Well thanks for the cheers mate but all I done was ask a question!

<falls over laughing>

X30YES
26th June 2006, 10:05 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/Camel3.jpg
See anything like this Martin :question::cool::cool:

X30YES
26th June 2006, 10:07 PM
Or this hump backed bridge :p:D
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/camelCrossing.jpg

MartinSullivan
26th June 2006, 11:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Dont EVER EVER EVER tar me with that brush - or we will be having words , Im NOT an aberdonian

MartinSullivan
26th June 2006, 11:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z
Kind of unnecessary i feel...

And, you are in a islamic country, for whatever reason, so the no alcohol is kind of a no brainer don't you think, as is with the women but that varies all across the middle east.

Just a bit crude really...

Sh@z, If I have offended you then I am truly sorry - it was not my intention. I have spent a lot of time in the middle east over a lot of years and have a great deal of respect for the cultures and people of all the countries I have visited. I hope that if you re read my post you will realise that I DID NOT criticise the religions of the region - I just made a comment about being woken up, this used to happen when I lived in Oldham too. As I am out here working the beer/women thing was a crack about the fact that the only time I seem to get abroad these days is with work and to places that I wouldnt pick for a holiday - it was all just banter and should be taken as such. If you are still offended and wish to carry on the discussion - then I suggest you email me through the site.

Gismo
27th June 2006, 03:13 PM
We'll have to start a new forum for the hyper sensitive squad :p

X30YES
27th June 2006, 03:17 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

:approve:

Big Col
27th June 2006, 04:10 PM

www.greetinfacescotland.co.uk :)

Gismo
27th June 2006, 04:14 PM
www.greetinfacescotland.co.uk :)
Col, that link doesn't work ;)

Big Col
27th June 2006, 04:18 PM
:D

X30YES
28th June 2006, 05:06 PM
Hey Martin ...guess who gets parole :approve:....... as of Today :question:

:D:D:D

X30YES
29th June 2006, 02:41 PM
Car camel park in Kuwait (http://community.webshots.com/photo/233641180/1239031217038501851ssvKZZ) :p:D

kyleminiman
30th June 2006, 08:54 PM
Kuwait - Place of my birth!!!

MartinSullivan
7th July 2006, 01:17 AM
Well just a quick update for you guys - day 21 in the Big Brother Kuwait house. Its been interesting so far lol, spent one day in hospital after collapsing with suspected food poisoning, had a tyre blow out on the 4x4 and nearly flip us over. Today was meant to be a big party to celebrate the progress on the job, great we thought - cheese and sausages on cocktail sticks etc. Anyway our driver picked us up this morning and informed us that we wouldnt be having breakfast as there was a feast being put on for us, so lunch time came and eventually the driver turned up to take us back to the office for the "party". Imagine our surprise when we walked in and there were no cheese and sausages on cocktail sticks - only boiled sheeps head, now Im sorry if this offends anyone that considers boiled sheeps head part of their normal diet, but just the smell of it put me right off. Anyway Ive attached a couple of pics - the mini looks in really good nick, ill have to try and get closer to get a better picture, it has a taxi sign on the roof but I think thats just a joke. Also saw some new Red Bull MINIS today but they had gone past before I got time to take a pic.

Blown out tyre after removing it in 45 degree heat
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/MartinSullivan/tyre.jpg

Cool looking classic mini, union jack roof and taxi sign
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/MartinSullivan/mini.jpg

Boiled Sheeps Head :disapprove::dead::dead::mad:
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/MartinSullivan/sheep.jpg

Sweeney
7th July 2006, 02:10 AM
Have to agree with you on the sheeps skull :dead:

Gismo
7th July 2006, 02:26 AM
Nice one Martin :cool: any chance you could post bigger pics :p

john
7th July 2006, 02:59 AM

quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Dont EVER EVER EVER tar me with that brush - or we will be having words , Im NOT an aberdonian

As if we would have you!!!!:D:D

Big Col
7th July 2006, 03:08 AM
Ewww MAN that sheeps head looks minging. NOTE TO ALL THE OVERSENSITIVES I'm not saying that Sheeps head is bad for you or that anyone else that eats it is evil! It just aint my cuppa tea!!!!

N12 JLK
7th July 2006, 04:54 AM
Could have sworn that the sheeps head was Harold Steptoe;)

stoney
7th July 2006, 05:05 AM
that is minging

Sweeney
7th July 2006, 05:17 AM
probably what your bbq looked like last night no? haha ;)

X30YES
7th July 2006, 01:13 PM
Who got the eyes :p:question:

euan
7th July 2006, 05:07 PM
I was once served brains in Romania, but they actually looked edible (Like a chicken McNugget actually - which would explain why I've never eaten them since) but I didn't eat them. That sheeps head just looks so, so wrong.

Burple
7th July 2006, 06:02 PM

Ewww MAN that sheeps head looks minging. NOTE TO ALL THE OVERSENSITIVES I'm not saying that Sheeps head is bad for you or that anyone else that eats it is evil! It just aint my cuppa tea!!!!

You'd never get it *in* the cuppa ;):p

That looks pretty boggin' right enough..

Never eat anything that can still wink at you!
(that's McD's oot the windae then! :D:D)

Scottie
7th July 2006, 06:26 PM
what kind of sheap do they have in Kuwait. Anyone know. Surely it is not our we fluffy white sheap.

X30YES
7th July 2006, 06:48 PM
Like this Fi ....most are imported from Australia, must be able to take the heat more :D:D:D

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/sheep.jpg

MartinSullivan
7th July 2006, 11:07 PM

Nice one Martin :cool: any chance you could post bigger pics :p

I know man - Im normally the one that pulls people up for it too , but I genuinely dont have anything to manipulate pictures on this machine

MartinSullivan
7th July 2006, 11:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

I believe that the eyes were intact at the start of the party - unfortunately I missed out ;)

MartinSullivan
7th July 2006, 11:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

As if we would have you!!!!:D:D

:mad::disapprove:;);):p

Gismo
8th July 2006, 05:06 AM
I know man - Im normally the one that pulls people up for it too , but I genuinely dont have anything to manipulate pictures on this machineThen a simple link would have been suffice :p;):eek::approve::I

monkimagic
8th July 2006, 09:14 AM
And this thread goes the way of the whinge as well. This is getting seriously out of control on here! Shaz I'm pretty sure ol MS wasn't having a pop at any religion he was just having a gripe as I would do if I was woken up by a catholic priest or a 7th day evangalis or a 9th level lemon sash grand wizard from the holy church of Rikki Lake!!! It was hardly a complaint about the Mullah's religion! It was a complaint at being woken up by him! <begins nutting monitor> WHAT'S GOT INTO EVERYONE ON HERE????

Well said BC :)

X30YES
8th July 2006, 01:00 PM

quote:Originally posted by X30YES

I believe that the eyes were intact at the start of the party - unfortunately I missed out ;)

You were lucky you were late then , honoured guests normally get the eyes first :eek:

MartinSullivan
8th July 2006, 07:05 PM
Then a simple link would have been suffice :p;):eek::approve::I

I dont know what you are b*tching about anyway - they look fine to me :p

KAH
11th July 2006, 10:19 PM
geez a bit of that sheep's heed....I REALLY will eat anything, croc, gator, zebra....bring it on!!!!

Big Col
12th July 2006, 07:08 PM
When you getting back anywho cue ball?

X30YES
12th July 2006, 08:56 PM
Parole has been cancelled by the sound of things :p:D

MartinSullivan
14th July 2006, 01:06 AM
Saw this today - which to me was almost the ultimate contradiction - a PINK HUMMER

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a67/MartinSullivan/DSC00278.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2006, 01:57 AM
Ha! Looks like a Menzies Speacial.:D

X30YES
14th July 2006, 05:16 AM
Must be the company your keeping :eightball:..........:D:D...btw Ive just been offered a 2 year + job ( 28x28 )...in Kazakhstan know of anyone out there :question: