PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon discussion thread.

AndyP & Lenore
24th June 2006, 09:52 AM
Now lets try and discuss this without prejudices, bigotry, offensive jokes and http://www.x5world.com/images/smilies/stickpoke.gif getting in the way of a good discussion? :D:D

Who's up for winning this year then?

Murray - would be good but not sure his game has matured enough yet.
Roddick - Could be his year but he hasn't gotten off to a great start in the Grand Slam.
Hewitt - possible.
Henman - (just picked myself up from the floor. was laughing so hard I fell off me chair)
Federer - can he make it 4 in a row? Quite possibly.

On the ladies side, I see Serena Williams and Lindsay Davenport have both withdrawn. Opens that championship out a wee bit.

X30YES
24th June 2006, 01:26 PM
Wimbledon ....ask me a question on cricket :(

illegalhunter
24th June 2006, 03:21 PM
all posh kids with bad hair really bad hair

AndyP & Lenore
24th June 2006, 06:14 PM
Off to a great start then. http://www.x5drivers.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

euan
24th June 2006, 07:07 PM
Reckon tim has a horrific draw, rusedski's not much better.

Federer is the boy for me.

Murray could get to the 3rd round, no further I fear. Time is on his side after all.

jayex
24th June 2006, 07:34 PM
My money's on Federer :approve:

Mini Me
25th June 2006, 04:41 AM
wonder if they will have any braw wee ball girls:p......hhhmmmmm mini skirts,hhmmmmmmm

well is there any other reason for watching:p

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2006, 04:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Only Me

Maria Sharapova http://www.x5drivers.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_worship1.gifhttp://www.x5drivers.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_worship1.gif

Scottie
25th June 2006, 05:03 AM

wonder if they will have any braw wee ball girls:p......hhhmmmmm mini skirts,hhmmmmmmm

ONLYME wash your mouth out you'll be luck if any of the ball girls are over 16 years of age.:( your a bad man:disapprove:

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2006, 05:53 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

your a bad man:disapprove:

That is true. But it's a completely different subject all together.:eek::blackeye::D

Scottie
25th June 2006, 06:07 AM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

your a bad man:disapprove:

I don't know much about tennis other than Cliff Richards likes to sing on centre court.;)
That is true. But it's a completely different subject all together.:eek::blackeye::D

The Dogfather
25th June 2006, 06:33 AM
Murray - No chance
Henman - Even less chance

Can't see anyone other than Federer wining, shame really he's starting to get a bit boring :(

X30YES
25th June 2006, 01:54 PM

Thats about the only thing that would get me to watch it as well ...oh and the grunting of the ladieswomengirlswell what ever they are ;)

euan
25th June 2006, 10:49 PM
We live in WImbledon and went out for dinner last night. Henman was sat at one end of the place, and then Agassi wandered in. All the woman where drooling....

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2006, 11:01 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

We live in WImbledon and went out for dinner last night. Henman was sat at one end of the place, and then Agassi wandered in. All the woman where drooling....

Sheesh. Don't you just keep privileged company.:D:D

X30YES
25th June 2006, 11:41 PM
Agassi is that not a Greek Island :question::p:)

AndyP & Lenore
26th June 2006, 01:02 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Agassi is that not a Greek Island :question::p:)

:D

No.

It's the medical term for uncontrollable flatulence.:D

A.

Edit>Added the "A." to keep Angus happy.

X30YES
26th June 2006, 01:05 AM
something told me it was'nt L .....they dont do they ;):D:D:D

euan
26th June 2006, 04:59 AM

Sheesh. Don't you just keep privileged company.:D:D

Standard day in my life, as if! Although I did meet David Wier at the Argentina game in Germany, so maybe it is! ;) I just wish I lived in one of the houses the tennis players stay in up in Wimbledon Village!!

X30YES
26th June 2006, 02:46 PM
David Weir :question::clown:

AndyP & Lenore
27th June 2006, 07:44 AM
Off to a great start eh? Typical Wimbledon weather. At least Cliff wasny there to bore everyone.:D

euan
27th June 2006, 06:48 PM

Off to a great start eh? Typical Wimbledon weather. At least Cliff wasny there to bore everyone.:D

Been great for my garden though! You should have seen the traffic, unbelievable!

Federer looked good in the hour he played though.

AndyP & Lenore
28th June 2006, 08:24 AM
Decided not to write Murray out of the game just yet.:D:D:D

He played a belter today.:D:D

Henman against Federererer on Wednesday will be interesting.:D

A.

Big Col
28th June 2006, 02:54 PM
I saw a bit of Murray's match and the dude he was playing looked totally out of sorts. Whilst Murray definetly played well the other bloke did implode a bit.

I don't think Henman will get totally humped but I wouldn't place a bet on him.

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 06:35 AM
Well so far Murray has played an absolute belter against Benneteau. Benneteau has also played a good game and Andy has by no means won this yet. If Benneteau recharges his batteries and gets his head round tomorrow's match conclusion, it could cause Andy some real problems.

But overall and for the majority of the match so far, Andy has been all over him.

Hope it all comes good tomorrow.:D:D

euan
30th June 2006, 06:47 AM
Yup, he looked good but the surface was bugging him and I'm not convinced his mental strength to close off those niggles is just quite there yet.

Hopefully a good night will sort him out.

Have to say, it's very much Federers to lose, everyone else is stuttering along!

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2006, 07:21 AM

Have to say, it's very much Federers to lose, everyone else is stuttering along!

Absolutley.

Nadal, Roddick, Nalbandian and Hewitt are all struggling against non seeded players.:eek:

AndyP & Lenore
1st July 2006, 04:01 AM
Well done to Andy today. Really had his head in the game. Whereas Benneteau seemed to be playing on No.2 court, not Center.

So. Roddick tomorrow.:eek: Andy's beat him before.:D But this time it's on grass.:eek:

The Dogfather
1st July 2006, 04:07 AM
Roddick will be a much harder test but Murray has the ability, I'm not sure if he's there yet though mentally.....

AndyP & Lenore
1st July 2006, 04:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Roddick will be a much harder test but Murray has the ability, I'm not sure if he's there yet though mentally.....

I'd agree Paul. And if it goes to 5 sets he's in real trouble. Not that I want to appear negative. I reckon he'll give him a real run for his money.

X30YES
1st July 2006, 04:53 AM
The wee missing link lassie looks ok :p;)

euan
1st July 2006, 10:31 PM
Murray needs to get his first serve in to be have any chance today, missing too many at the moment.

AndyP & Lenore
2nd July 2006, 05:11 AM
Well, who'd've thunk it? Straight sets defeat of No 3 seeded Andy Roddick.:eek::eek::D

Andy Murray, I apologise for my lack of faith in my last few posts. Go for it!!!!!:D:D:D:D

Smitty
2nd July 2006, 08:26 AM
Superb performance!:approve:

But already annoyed at the commentators, saying "Can we start thinking about the Semi-Finals or even Finals!"

Give the boy a chance, take it one game at a time, no point in lookin that far ahead! Thats the Scottish way!!:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
2nd July 2006, 08:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

Superb performance!:approve:

But already annoyed at the commentators, saying "Can we start thinking about the Semi-Finals or even Finals!"

Give the boy a chance, take it one game at a time, no point in lookin that far ahead! Thats the Scottish way!!:D:D

Absolutley. One game at a time.

I was pissed at some of the commentary by John McEnroe too. He refused to consider the possibility of Andy winning even when he was 2 sets up. It wasn't until the middle of the third set when they broke each others serve, then Andy balsted a shot passed Roddick, who had no chance of returning and McEnroe said "I doubt Andy'll have the strength to go to 5 sets. Oh, but after that shot, it looks like he won't need 5 sets."

I watched the game while at work and did have to leave the TV a bit between points, so he may have been a little more complimentary then, but overall I sure as hell didn't find him impartial. Too much to expect maybe, with Roddick being American.

X30YES
2nd July 2006, 08:22 PM
''The boy done good'':p;)

AndyP & Lenore
4th July 2006, 06:32 AM
So, how come two days ago Andy blasted his way through the No3 Seed Andy Roddick, who serves at 300MPH, with a maturity and determination that got some of us talking about how he could even win this tournament if he keeps playing like that. Only today to play a game in the 4th round and look like he was treating it like a knock-a-bout with a mate on the local court. It looked like his get-up-and-go had got up and gone.:(:( He played some belter shots, and he's done really well to get this far, and I am sure next year he will do equally as good, if not better. But today he was simply outclassed by a player who showed a determination to win which mirrored Andy's own determination on Saturday, but sadly lacking today. What annoyed me was that Baghdatis didn't even seem to be playing particularly well either. It's just that Andy was playing particularly poorly. If Andy had played today, the way he had played on Saturday, he'd have wiped the floor with him.

Here's to 2007.:D

Big Col
4th July 2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah he totally blowed didn't he? The guy that played Roddick never even bothered to show up!

I'm getting a bit tired of hearing "He's only 19" as well. I mean I know he's young but becker won it at 17! Methinks Andy realy needs to find a coach quickly.

euan
4th July 2006, 06:10 PM
I agree with Col, he needs a coach. He admitted as much later on in his interview with Sue.

His fitness seems better too, but I had heard a few stories that part of the reason he fell out with his last coach was that he liked to do things his own way and didn't like to be told when to do things (like training). Teenagers eh?