PDA

View Full Version : BRAND NEW CLASSIC - NOT REGISTERED YET

ianking
19th June 2006, 09:24 PM
Bit of a story here.
Was driving past AF Noble Nissan garage (former Rover Dealership) yesterday and noticed an old mini on their fourcourt. Went in to have a look and one of the sales monkeys came over to speak. I asked about the black mini they had and wondered what year it was as it had no plates on it. He then said that it was brand new and was about to be registered as an 06 plate by the owner.
It ends up a lady bought it from them 6 years ago when she found out they were stopping making them as she really liked the mini. The garage had put it into storage for her until she was ready for it.

Heres the bad bit though. The lady suffers from Autism and there fore finds it very difficult to cope with change. She has always had a white mini Mayfair and is used to the colour and the dash colour.
She has there fore paid AF Noble to strip her old dash out and fit it to the new Cooper. She has also instructed the garage to dissmantle the new car and fully re-spray the whole thing in white and badge it as a Mayfair. (OH DEAR)....

Anyway I went home to fetch the camera and got some pics of it before it is runied. It still had some of the transport stickers on it and has only 28 miles on the clock.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/ianking_2006/P6180006.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/ianking_2006/P6180003.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/ianking_2006/P6180002.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/ianking_2006/P6180001.jpg

ianking
19th June 2006, 09:26 PM
Forgot to say that I think it will look a bit silly with an 06 plate on it. It would have been nicer as a Y reg. Its such a shame to ruin this lovely car

SarahMunro
19th June 2006, 09:28 PM
I can vouch the car is stunning, it is a shame :disapprove:

Craig
19th June 2006, 11:22 PM
what a shame - I might have been interested..... :eek::p

AndyP & Lenore
20th June 2006, 12:35 AM
Wouldn't like to think what that will do to her warranty:D;);)

Real sad story though. About her and the MINI Mini.

A.

Burple
20th June 2006, 12:37 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
:(:(:(:(:(:(

Ummm.. so why didn't she buy a White cooper all that time ago? ;)
That's a such a shame for the poor car.

Keep an eye on the reg ;) Somebody will get a nice surprise when they buy a White Mayfair in a few years ;);):D:D

X30YES
20th June 2006, 12:52 AM
How much do they want , any idea ??

Duncan Stewart
20th June 2006, 03:37 AM
Exactly how I would order a new classic if they still built them! :p:eek: Black/white, black interior and 12 inch wheels - I love it :approve::D
Mad to strip it and paint it! :(:dead:

N12 JLK
20th June 2006, 04:21 AM
Tragic:(

duncan
20th June 2006, 04:43 AM
I'm stunned at the comments here.

Seemingly the person who is buying the car is Autistic, and there's comments like Tragic, and what a shame that a car is going to be sprayed, and the dash changed?

A bit of a reality check required. Its only a car.

Brian_Cooper_S
20th June 2006, 05:47 AM
Just what I was thinking duncan, at the end of the day, stuff the bloody car!!

Scottie
20th June 2006, 05:56 AM
I think it's a great story no matter what colour she wants the car it is her car

to have he insight to buy the car and store it for six years well done that's what I say wish I had thought of that.

N12 JLK
20th June 2006, 06:11 AM
Tragic wasnt about a silly car it was about the person, cars are only a luxury.

Craig
20th June 2006, 06:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

I'm stunned at the comments here.

Seemingly the person who is buying the car is Autistic, and there's comments like Tragic, and what a shame that a car is going to be sprayed, and the dash changed?

A bit of a reality check required. Its only a car.

stunned by what :question: - people's disabilities (whatever they may be) were not taken into consideration by me within the context of this. I was commenting on the car. I think it should be left as it is... Are you saying we cannot comment because the lady has a disability ? ? what a load of p!sh

I know a few people with disabilities (my mother being blind) and to make them "special" by singling them out is wrong. Yes the lady is autistic, but what does that have to do with the car.

Again - purely my opinion, but hay ho, I may be wrong.

minidriver#1
20th June 2006, 07:48 AM
I agree with duncan. What's sad about this is how you people can't see past the car. Of course the thread is about the car but what you seem to be forgetting is this car will continue to help the woman with her love for minis.

I fail to see how this is a disaster for this unregistered mini. No one is singling this woman out because she has a disability, but at the same time you are completely failing to understand why the woman is going through this process and to say that it's tragic surely points out that you completely miss the point. I say all the best to her and the mini regardless of her disability.

AndyP & Lenore
20th June 2006, 09:15 AM
Duncan and KJ: We're not "forgetting" this is only a car. I agree, the woman's health and disability is more important than what is being done to a lump of metal and plastic. But why should we not express our opinions about what is being done to the car? Speaking as a disabled person (not all disabilities are visible), is it the case that we should only say nice things that disabled people want to do to cars?

A.

Big Col
20th June 2006, 03:15 PM
Jaysus they really need to include an IQ test in the entry exam to the political correction police. :)

Gismo
20th June 2006, 03:43 PM
In the big scheme of things it's a sad way to treat the mini or would have been for any other type of car, but in this thread it's a classic mini, for most it would have been easier to buy a white Mayfair at the time, were they still available new 6 years ago :p

At the end of the day it's only a car :eek: and if by doing what is required to ensure someone's happiness for the forseeable future then that's their business.
We all, as far as i know, can form an opinion on anything and this is what keeps the world ticking over.

This was written having been scrutinised by the PC police and in no way refers to any group, gender, race, religion or disability :approve:

ianking
20th June 2006, 04:49 PM
This has completely blown out of proportion.
The thread was simply intended to show that there was still a brand new classic mini out there and that unfortunately it was going to have a colour change, not making it original.
Lots of people have disabilities, myself included (hence the Auto classic due to it not having power steering) and I for one would not make fun or pass comment on any less able bodied person.
The whole bloody lot of you that are getting on your high horses should give your self a shake. Its just a mini forum here not the European human rights forum.

Scottie
20th June 2006, 04:56 PM
quote:Originally posted by ianking

This has completely blown out of proportion.
The thread was simply intended to show that there was still a brand new classic mini out there and that unfortunately it was going to have a colour change, not making it original.
Lots of people have disabilities, myself included (hence the Auto classic due to it not having power steering) and I for one would not make fun or pass comment on any less able bodied person.
The whole bloody lot of you that are getting on your high horses should give your self a shake. Its just a mini forum here not the European human rights forum.

well said Ian.

ianking
20th June 2006, 04:58 PM
Thanks Fi

Burple
20th June 2006, 06:06 PM
Here, I never mentiond anything about anyone's disabilities, because that would be singling her out because of an unfortunate condition. I dunno about you guys but I've seen all the ads on tv, that we should see past the disability to the person. To me that's saying "treat people with disabilities the same as everyone else". So should I *not* do that now? Should I make allowances this time? Make yer minds up! :p

I only mentioned that maybe that foresight could have included a white car to begin with.
It just seems a shame to do that to a very rare collectible classic car that otherwise would be an excellent investment.

minidriver#1
20th June 2006, 06:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

Duncan and KJ: We're not "forgetting" this is only a car. I agree, the woman's health and disability is more important than what is being done to a lump of metal and plastic. But why should we not express our opinions about what is being done to the car? Speaking as a disabled person (not all disabilities are visible), is it the case that we should only say nice things that disabled people want to do to cars?

A.

Absolutely not, i agree with you, so why include the fast she is disabled in the first post if it is irrelevant?

ianking
20th June 2006, 06:10 PM
Exactly lowd and low. Those who single out the disabled persons are being more discriminant by doing so. There was never any issue here about the womans condition. It was just a relevant part of the whole story which results in the lovely rare valuable car being changed.

I dont think anyone should make any more of an issue of this now.
Lets just comment on the mini

lightbody
20th June 2006, 06:11 PM
They **MUST** rustproof it!

If she has trouble coping with change, she'll want it to last as long as possible... and it wont last very long at all unless they do that to it.

ianking
20th June 2006, 06:12 PM
The lady is trading in a P reg Mayfair which she is finished with now. She hasnt really had that long out of it, particularly as she will know that the 06 plate will be the last.

minidriver#1
20th June 2006, 06:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

They **MUST** rustproof it!

If she has trouble coping with change, she'll want it to last as long as possible... and it wont last very long at all unless they do that to it.

I thought they started rust proofing the minis toward the end of production? Didn't the last generation have underside rust proofing?

Craig
20th June 2006, 06:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

Here, I never mentiond anything about anyone's disabilities, because that would be singling her out because of an unfortunate condition. I dunno about you guys but I've seen all the ads on tv, that we should see past the disability to the person. To me that's saying "treat people with disabilities the same as everyone else". So should I *not* do that now? Should I make allowances this time? Make yer minds up! :p

I only mentioned that maybe that foresight could have included a white car to begin with.
It just seems a shame to do that to a very rare collectible classic car that otherwise would be an excellent investment.

exactly my point.... ;)

lightbody
20th June 2006, 06:29 PM
quote:I thought they started rust proofing the minis toward the end of production? Didn't the last generation have underside rust proofing?Judging by my 1998 Cooper, after speaking to Mini repair shops recently and talking to friends with classics, it seems to have got worse towards the end - with areas left only primered or not painted at all!

The car is far more prone to rusting due to its shape so great care needs to be taken to rustproof it. Lots of nooks and crannies and lacking modern features like wheelarch liners etc.

I was at MiniMaster in Penrith a few weeks ago and they'd just finished rebuilding an X-reg Cooper which had been used daily and was in a very poor state.

SarahMunro
20th June 2006, 06:30 PM
I can't believe this has blown out of proportion!

The people that are talking about the lady have obviously missed the point. It wasn’t against the lady, it was about how this was probably the last unregistered old mini and it was a shame to change it from its original look.

You lot that are talking about the lady are the ones discriminating against her, we were just talking about the car which if I’m incorrect is what this site is all about.

GAJ
20th June 2006, 07:00 PM
Seems to me like she's not the only one affected by an ASD.;)

X30YES
20th June 2006, 07:00 PM
ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH ITS GOING FOR :p:D:D

ianking
20th June 2006, 07:04 PM
Its not for sale apparently. Although the sales man has said that they are trying the woman in a new micra to see if she would prefer it. She has allready paid for the complete colour change 6 years ago. I bet the garage would be happy to refund her £9000 or whatever it was that it cost her. They could sell that mini for an absolute mint.
The guy is going to phone me when the trade-in comes in as I might be interested in it so I will let you know what happens with the black cooper

X30YES
20th June 2006, 07:17 PM
cheers :)...I was interested myself , as I would have room in my garage for storage of a wee beaut like that ;)!!!!
:p:p:p

lightbody
20th June 2006, 07:47 PM
quote:They could sell that mini for an absolute mint.
I'm not so sure... I have seen a few preserved classics which haven't sold at their original price, let alone more...

minimadtez
20th June 2006, 07:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by SarahMunro

I can't believe this has blown out of proportion!

The people that are talking about the lady have obviously missed the point. It wasn’t against the lady, it was about how this was probably the last unregistered old mini and it was a shame to change it from its original look.

You lot that are talking about the lady are the ones discriminating against her, we were just talking about the car which if I’m incorrect is what this site is all about.

I AGREE!!!!! It's really quite funny how at the start of this thread everyone was going "poor car" etc (which I agree with!)...then when someone sticks up for the woman, people change their opinions and suddenly start saying, its only a car, poor woman!!!!! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!
Mine is........POOR CAR!!!!! As one of the few unregistered classics out there, it should be kept as it is.....however, the owner decides.
Gutted that theres a classic in my other halfs street on the same plate (51 plate) as my MINI One!!! its tidy.....there are still afew hidden in garages etc that are unregistered, although the thing is.....the car isnt any newer.....just means its been dry stored for years and will have a low mileage......the car is still technically old.

Tez

ianking
20th June 2006, 07:50 PM
Rob
I think you are right about getting it rust protected. I noticed that the rear sub frame mountings are just bare metal and that most of the floor at the rear has no protection on it as well. The inner wheel arches have the thinnest coating of paint on them which will just wear off with stone chips and the like.

Duncan Stewart
21st June 2006, 01:53 AM
The lady who owns this beauty has superb taste in cars :approve: :D However (especially if she dislikes change) I think it would be more sensible to rebuild her Mayfair or a suitable similar car (new shell & re-con engine?) than strip, paint & rebuild a new car - hence my "mad" comment - no reference to her medical condition! :blackeye: - come on guys, lighten up!! :p
What ever she does she will enjoy the fun of mini motoring for years to come.

duncan
21st June 2006, 03:29 AM
I still stand by what I originally posted.
Its far from being PC, I'm probably quite high on the list of being un-PC in fact.
However, calling someone PC, for showing a different opinion seems to be the latest thing to do.

Autism affects people in many different ways. I know, my cousins youngest who is five years old has it. She's never spoken a word, and can only communicate with pointing, and basic signing. That's frustrating as hell for my cousin.

So to hear that its a shame that a car is going to be re-sprayed, to me is a joke. I think its great that someone who finds change difficult not only had the foresight to plan this, but is still able to be mobile.

Scottie
21st June 2006, 04:37 AM

Its far from being PC, I'm probably quite high on the list of being un-PC in fact.
However, calling someone PC, for showing a different opinion seems to be the latest thing to do.

Autism affects people in many different ways. I know, my cousins youngest who is five years old has it. She's never spoken a word, and can only communicate with pointing, and basic signing. That's frustrating as hell for my cousin.

So to hear that its a shame that a car is going to be re-sprayed, to me is a joke. I think its great that someone who finds change difficult not only had the foresight to plan this, but is still able to be mobile.

i thought we were talking about minis and not computers.:blackeye::p;):kiss:

Mark R
21st June 2006, 05:08 AM
Ian, I heard all about someone from Penicuik that was looking at the car the other night from my uncle who was talking to someone that works there so seems like you were spotted.:)

minidriver#1
21st June 2006, 06:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

that doesn't even merit a response

:blackeye:

Scottie
21st June 2006, 06:40 AM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit

quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

that doesn't even merit a response

:blackeye:

:blackeye:;):p:kiss: