PDA

View Full Version : New Seats - Deactivating Side Airbags

johnsop1
19th June 2006, 06:44 AM
Hi

Since fitting Reccaro seats have driven around with airbag warning light on (no airbags in new seats). Got fed up and rang local dealer to find out how much it would cost to get the side airbags deactivated.

Knew that a code was required from BMW

Just thought you should know that if you shop around you can get this done much cheaper.

Edinburgh/Borders BMW garage Quote - £300.00
Northants BMW garage - Actual Cost - £109.00

Live in Borders but I was visiting family in Midlands - would still have been worth it though.

Interestingly though - was qouted £250.00 by BMW garage in Leicester and another BMW garage in Northants told me that I would have to change the seat Belts.

Yes I gave them all exactly the same information. And yes have informed insurance comapny

Worth making a few phone calls I'd say

john
19th June 2006, 07:43 AM
What a complete rip-off,it takes 15 minutes:eek:

Mini Me
19th June 2006, 07:58 AM
they are supposed to change the seat belts only for deactivation of the front air bags.....so i thought.
Just plug it in, give it the code....bob's yer uncle !!!!

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2006, 09:08 AM
Howdy Paul! Long time no hear.....

Sounds like Dunedin didn't have a clue what you were asking for. Who did you speak to? Was it Selkirk or Edinburgh?

And btw, when are we gonna see you on another run?:D:D Us Borderers need to stick together.:D

sleepyrascal
19th June 2006, 09:16 AM
sod it. Just leave the light on! Or take the bulb out!! :D

Mini Me
19th June 2006, 06:51 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

souunds like Dunedin didn't have a clue what you were asking for. Who did you speak to? Was it Selkirk or Edinburgh?

Naw,Dunedin :question:;)

it's only a code man... 10 mins !!!!!

MartinSullivan
19th June 2006, 07:39 PM
With respect to the original question - some dealers want a staggering amount to disable the seat air bags and put out the air bag light , there is an alternative available for about 35 quid a side from MiniMania

Airbag Simulator module (http://www.minimaniauk.com/web/Item/NMA1202/InvDetail.cfm)

Gismo
19th June 2006, 07:48 PM
MS, once the air bag light has been activated i'm sure you still need to visit the stealer to get the light switched off, but i could be wrong :p
I remember when i had my sat nav installed at Birds, they mistakenly activated the light, however, on my drive home i passed by JC's in Dundee and they put it out for me free of charge ;)

GAJ
19th June 2006, 08:02 PM
quote: Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

MS, once the air bag light has been activated i'm sure you still need to visit the stealer to get the light switched off, but i could be wrong :p

From the advert - "These simulators extinguish your airbag light."

Gismo
19th June 2006, 08:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ
From the advert - "These simulators extinguish your airbag light."
Yep, i read that, but wasn't sure that it could do it :I;) hence my query

gill
20th June 2006, 04:33 AM
Where did you buy the seats????

We bought ours from our local dealer (cause someone had pulled out of the deal) and we're getting the airbag deactivated for free! I would strongly advise not paying that much for a 10 minute job!!!:D

johnsop1
20th June 2006, 04:48 AM
* Flippin' Heck - wish I'd realised you could get these things from Mini Mania.

* Can you get to the bulb to remove it?

* Think that once the light has been activated you have to get it reset. To avoid this think you have to ensure you don't turn the ignition on when connectors for the airbags are disconnected

Anyway it all academic cos' I've got it done now

* Andy - was going to come on the Borders run but thought it was full

Thanks for all comments - next time will ask questions on here before I go spending my hard earned cash at BMW. :)

AndyP & Lenore
20th June 2006, 09:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by johnsop1
* Andy - was going to come on the Borders run but thought it was full

:I:IIt is. I only remembered after I'd posted the message. ooops. Sorry.:I:I

MartinSullivan
20th June 2006, 05:23 PM
Bonnie is right once the airbags light is on I dont think the modules will reset the light, however I posted them as an alternative to getting the dealer to deactivate the bags. The other thing is that a lot of back street garages now have machines to reset the airbag light (I know of at least one in Aberdeen, and one member of this site that is trying to buy a tool to reset it too). Also the dealer doesnt need a code from BMW just to reset the light - so it should be cheaper just to get that done.

Gismo
20th June 2006, 05:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan
Bonnie is right once the airbags light is on I dont think the modules will reset the light
Oi Gaj, ya see this :approve::D

X30YES
20th June 2006, 06:39 PM
Im not sure , but I think that my new car has something installed that switches off de-activates the air bags ...above the rear view mirror and down at the passenger door , might be to deactivate the passenger side only ...again I'm not sure as I cant go and check as I'm offsure

AndyP & Lenore
20th June 2006, 06:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Im not sure , but I think that my new car has something installed that switches off de-activates the air bags ...above the rear view mirror and down at the passenger door , might be to deactivate the passenger side only ...again I'm not sure as I cant go and check as I'm offsure

Ours does.:approve:

MartinSullivan
20th June 2006, 06:42 PM
Yeah its the passenger front airbag - so you can safely fit a child seat in the front

X30YES
20th June 2006, 06:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore

quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Ours does.:approve:
Yours would ;)..Him or Her ?
depends on how much abuse is posted in reply ...mmmm no fair :(
;):):D