PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Question

sjfield1
19th June 2006, 04:37 AM
I have a bit of strange questions to ask. I took my car to Menzies last week coz i had a list of a few problems with it. One of them was the turbo kept kicking in and out. I was told that day that it was the clutch slipping. I have only done 8k in it, and they tell me i might need a new clutch.:( Its going in to get it stripped to find out if its faulty, or wear and tear. If they take the clutch out am i entitled to ask for it? Also someone mentioned to me that they have to keep a record of everything they do and see, can i ask for this too?

Sweeney
19th June 2006, 04:42 AM
If the clutch is slipping, generally its "done" to put it simply, of course it could be a problem most likely worn down though (how long has it been like that?). As far as i know, you are allowed to keep/take any parts taken off your vehicle although if you do no collect within a specified time limit they can charge for storage. As far as keeping a record that should be standard practice to keep a log of every job, from reported fault to actual fault and solution. (never worked at bmw so wouldn't know)

Only Me should be able to clarify though :p

sjfield1
19th June 2006, 04:46 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

If the clutch is slipping, generally its "done" to put it simply, of course it could be a problem most likely worn down though (how long has it been like that?). As far as i know, you are allowed to keep/take any parts taken off your vehicle although if you do no collect within a specified time limit they can charge for storage. As far as keeping a record that should be standard practice to keep a log of every job, from reported fault to actual fault and solution. (never worked at bmw so wouldn't know)

Only Me should be able to clarify though :p

Its been slipping for about a week. Its a driving school car, bit p**sed off though, coz both my last minis did 50k on one clutch. I haven't done anything different with this one, and its knackered. I am still driving it, if its going to go, it will go! Need my car to keep working.

Sweeney
19th June 2006, 04:49 AM
if you wanted to, you could do a clutch in a matter of minutes, although im surprised its lasted as long.
What you should notice is the revs die down then shoot up and it kind of yo-yo's.

They certainly shouldn't go after 8k though, all be it a driving instructors vehicle it should be able to cope with stress unless you rev the nuts off it when de-pressing it (ie. drag racing, wheel spinning etc).

Mini Me
19th June 2006, 05:02 AM
It is VERY unusual for a cluth to go,but it could simply be a fault in the materials, or summat:dead:.
As far as getting the parts back, if it's warranty work, the chances are it will be sent back to BMW for inspection.
You will get a report on the day as procedure,nothing to worry about though(told you, never change gear when youv'e got your purse in your pocket,weighs too much):p:p

you have my mobile number,so use it !!!(if you don't pm me):I.
i will speek to service before the deed is done....:p

sjfield1
20th June 2006, 12:29 AM
Hey, thanks. I just got a bit concerned when they said it might not be done under warranty! I wish my purse was that heavy, then i wouldn't be worrying about the lovely bill that i might have to pay :D

I like Sweeney's comments about the wheels spins etc! Can just imagine, i would be struck off as an Instructor! and yes, it is making the yo-yo rev sounds, that why at first i thought it was the turbo. As you can probably tell, i am not all that great with the mechanics of the car! :)

Moonshine
20th June 2006, 07:39 AM
the MINI doesn't have a turbo

Gerry

Moonshine
20th June 2006, 07:40 AM
at least not yet.....i don'y think... am i wrong?
apologies if i am.

Gerry

Sweeney
20th June 2006, 03:40 PM
diesel :p

Gismo
20th June 2006, 03:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by Moonshine
at least not yet.....i don'y think... am i wrong?apologies if i am.
Gerry
There may be one in the diesel ya f@nnie :p

Gismo
20th June 2006, 03:44 PM
diesel :p
Damn, beaten to it :I

Moonshine
20th June 2006, 04:33 PM
slinks away.....damn, never thought of the diesel...!!

Sweeney
20th June 2006, 05:01 PM
quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sara-Jayne Field
The Learner Car

Liquid yellow, mini one D, with black viper stripes

:sleepy:

X30YES
20th June 2006, 07:27 PM
Damn ...missed that one :p...anyway , will throw a couple of (_!_)'s and ( , ) ...aye big diddy as well :eek:, just for the banter :D:D.

ASK John Barrie and Martin about clutches ...experts I hear ......now :D:D:D

AeroJonny
20th June 2006, 09:26 PM
I thought it was a naturally aspirated 1.4 diesel...definitely feels like that to drive. My only experience of driving a one D is a test drive but I know I'd notice if it was a turbo.

Gismo
20th June 2006, 09:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by AeroJonny
I thought it was a naturally aspirated 1.4 dieselDefo has a turbo ;)

Moonshine
21st June 2006, 12:00 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I thought it was a naturally aspirated 1.4 dieselDefo has a turbo ;)

i've got to agree :I
gerry

sjfield1
21st June 2006, 06:09 AM

I thought it was a naturally aspirated 1.4 diesel...definitely feels like that to drive. My only experience of driving a one D is a test drive but I know I'd notice if it was a turbo.

Yep, my wee mini definately has a turbo!

Mini Me
21st June 2006, 06:11 AM
all MINI diesil are TURBO,and now eu4 complient:p

bpirie1000
21st June 2006, 04:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Damn ...missed that one :p...anyway , will throw a couple of (_!_)'s and ( , ) ...aye big diddy as well :eek:, just for the banter :D:D.

ASK John Barrie and Martin about clutches ...experts I hear ......now :D:D:D

mmmmm yes Have to agree......

Not the Nicest job and deafo not a 10 minute jobbie.....

More like a 10 hour one.

phantom
23rd June 2006, 03:26 AM
I have had a problem with my clutch slipping and posted a question here some time ago which did not bring any ideas, well yesterday I had to take it to John Clarks to find out what was causing the slipping at around 3500/4000 revs.
The answer is that the dampers on the flywheel had failed causing the clutch to slip, so both had to be changed. The flywheel was badly burned and scored as was the clutch. John Clarks contacted BMW for a good will price as this should not have happened to a 52 plate with 45,000 miles on the clock and BMW paid for all the parts and half the labour, so instead of a bill for £1030 it was £305.
So thats me sorted and well done for John Clarks and BMW for picking up most of the bill. :D

Sweeney
23rd June 2006, 03:42 AM
bet it runs like a dream now? :D

phantom
23rd June 2006, 03:44 AM

bet it runs like a dream now? :D

It most cirtainly does lol :p

Sweeney
23rd June 2006, 03:58 AM
no more weekends at crail for you though eh? ;)

phantom
23rd June 2006, 04:01 AM
Absolutely not! ;)

sjfield1
1st July 2006, 08:47 PM
Hey, had my car in on Monday to get all the problems fixed. Got my new clutch under warrnaty, along with a new alternator and turbo valve. Its been a pretty crap week, took it in on Monday, went to pick it up on tuesday, and didn't eventually get it back home til thursday. I think its just going to be one of these cars! A Jinx!! But at least its working again, and i can work again!! LOL :D

Sweeney
1st July 2006, 09:11 PM
at least its sorted though :p

stoney
2nd July 2006, 03:32 PM
glad 2 here it i had a few props with my last one it will soon setle down ;)

sjfield1
6th July 2006, 04:22 AM
I hope so, i keep thinking that there is not much else that can go wrong with it now! (touch wood!!) Its like driving a brnad new car again!

Sweeney
6th July 2006, 04:24 AM
oooohhhh you just know somethings going to break now you've said that. lol

sjfield1
22nd July 2006, 03:12 AM
and guess what it has! water bottle has gone again. I pour the water in, and it comes straight back out down the wheel arch!! I am getting a bit annoyed now, that the 3rd time its SUPPOSED to have been fixed! I am losing my patience now with the car! LOL!! 3 is definitely my unlucky number!

Sweeney
22nd July 2006, 03:16 AM
told you so :clown: