PDA

View Full Version : Calling You Photo Geeks

Gismo
18th June 2006, 04:07 PM
Ok, i'm looking to change my camera, i currently have a 3 mega pixel camera and it's very easy to use.
I'm looking to upgrade to at least 6 mega pixel one but i want to retain the ease of use capabilty.
I've looked at the new Sony DSC W70 and DSC W100 and think these will suit my needs, but, i'm open to suggestions :)

X30YES
18th June 2006, 04:18 PM
I'm not a Sony camera fan , but read the review (http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-reviews/sony-dsc-w70.cfm)here . The Canon 800 looks good , but a few £ more ,

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 04:35 PM
i have the canon ixus 700 (750 is it's replacement), discontinued now but it's a very good camera only problem is you'll need to buy a bigger SD card as it only has a 32MB card to start with.

Gismo
18th June 2006, 04:35 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES
I'm not a Sony camera fan , but read the review (http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-reviews/sony-dsc-w70.cfm)here . The Canon 800 looks good , but a few £ more
Cheers Angus, but i've read a good few of the reviews on that site :) will have a look at the Canon 800 though

X30YES
18th June 2006, 04:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

i have the canon ixus 700 (750 is it's replacement), discontinued now but it's a very good camera only problem is you'll need to buy a bigger SD card as it only has a 32MB card to start with.
800 is the 750 replacement :p:D

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 04:51 PM
the 800 is only 6megapixels and has half the card size though? yet they are charging more for it... :question:

Gismo
18th June 2006, 05:09 PM
The cameras mentioned all suffer from quite severe red eye problems according to the link Angus provided, shame, as i liked the Sony DSC W70 and 100, but, the DSC P200 looks promising, hmm :p

X30YES
18th June 2006, 05:21 PM

the 800 is only 6megapixels and has half the card size though? yet they are charging more for it... :question:
Card size is nothing ,and it does'nt make a good camera , a 1gb card now costs £25 with a 516 at just under £17

X30YES
18th June 2006, 05:29 PM
The Memory Sticks Sony use are not interchangeable with other cameras or electronic stuff !!.

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 05:37 PM
size doesn't matter then eh ;)
32mb/16mb cards hold very little though so it's a pain in the a** if you want to take loads of photos :(

X30YES
18th June 2006, 05:44 PM

32mb/16mb cards hold very little though so it's a pain in the a** if you want to take loads of photos :(
New cameras dont nornmally come ithe a good sized card ...never have , read above and you will see that a card can be nothing to buy at all .

My chioce would be this FUJI (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUJI-FinePix-S5500-4M-Pix-10x-Optical-Zoom_W0QQitemZ7628766933QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem) , not good for the shirt pocket etc , but do take great pictures .

Gismo
18th June 2006, 06:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YESMy chioce would be this FUJI (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUJI-FinePix-S5500-4M-Pix-10x-Optical-Zoom_W0QQitemZ7628766933QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem)
That's gonna guzzle the batteries methinks, looks good though :p

X30YES
18th June 2006, 06:47 PM
The Fuji is Top quality and turns out great pictures , and not ott on the money either.Its big brothers the S9500 is even better ,again not so handy for popping in your top pocket

Scottie
18th June 2006, 06:48 PM
how about a Canon Power Shot G6 :question:

just so happens I have one for sale used once infact still got the protector film on some bits. got memory card and all the bits but not sure where instructions are:I

Gismo
18th June 2006, 07:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by ScottieCoop

how about a Canon Power Shot G6 :question: just so happens I have one for sale
Do you now, roughly how much you needing for it, was it bought in the UK ;) what size is the memory card :question:

Burple
18th June 2006, 08:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

New cameras dont nornmally come ithe a good sized card ...never have , read above and you will see that a card can be nothing to buy at all .

My chioce would be this FUJI (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUJI-FinePix-S5500-4M-Pix-10x-Optical-Zoom_W0QQitemZ7628766933QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem) , not good for the shirt pocket etc , but do take great pictures .

I can second that.. mine is the model a few down from that and a couple of years old now, but it's an excellent camera, even if it is a bit battery-hungry. Ellie's dad has the 5500 above, it's an awesome piece of kit, but you can't chuck it in your pocket!!

The Dogfather
18th June 2006, 09:02 PM
I've always liked the Panasonic Lumix cameras, top quality lenses, image stablizer and 12X zoom.

http://www2.panasonic.com/static/models/dmc-fz5s.jpg

Not that cheap though :( But your paying for a top quality lens.
£241....

http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/xsearch.asp?RecId=PANCA293&pt=k

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 09:29 PM
Alan, are you looking for a compact fixed lens job or an SLR camera? I have a Canon EOS 350D and love it to bits. I had a couple of EOS lenses from my previous EOS so it made sense to go for the 350D when I wanted to change.

It has 8.0 megapixels and the batteries seem to last for ever. Took over 400 photies in Florida and only had to charge it when I got home. Highly reccomended for those looking for an SLR. If you're just looking for a copact fixed lens, I'd agree it's not for you.

A.

edit: forgot to add the canon link: canon eos350D (http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_350D/index.asp?ComponentID=270585&SourcePageID=164046#1)

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 09:50 PM
400 photos... did you have time to enjoy the actual holiday? :p

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 10:06 PM

400 photos... did you have time to enjoy the actual holiday? :p

:D

Had a fantastic time. And 300 ish of those were in Orlando over 4 days! The 350D has a rapid fire 3fps function. Was great for Seaworld. Gimme a second and I'll upload a couple of smaples.

Gismo
18th June 2006, 10:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by AndyP & Lenore
Alan, are you looking for a compact fixed lens job or an SLR camera?
I'm not really fussed either way, i don't need a pocket sized camera but i do need simple :I yours looks an excellent bit of kit and more than i'm needing to pay.
Fi has a G6 that would suit me nicely ;) if only she'd answer her e-mail or post back :p

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 10:20 PM
Here's two examples of the flexibility of the Canon. Not the best pics ever taken, but I'm pleased with the results.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/AndyPandLenore/shamu_small.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/AndyPandLenore/fireworks_small.jpg

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j53/AndyPandLenore/flipper_small.jpg

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 10:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

I'm not really fussed either way, i don't need a pocket sized camera but i do need simple :I yours looks an excellent bit of kit and more than i'm needing to pay.
Fi has a G6 that would suit me nicely ;) if only she'd answer her e-mail or post back :p

Alan, pay little attention to the official Canon price.

You can usually find one for much less on eBay or any number of other on-line outlets. Should be able to find one in the mid £400's. I paid £600 for mine 6 months ago.:eek:

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 10:28 PM
On a side note, as I am at the cinema just now I don't have the software on this PC to upload to my own hosting space. So I had to use Photobucket. It's an excellent service. It even uploaded all the exif data for the pics. Really impressed with that.:D:D

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 10:52 PM
*football chant style* SHAMUUUU SHAMUUUUU, well did you get soaked? :p

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 10:59 PM

*football chant style* SHAMUUUU SHAMUUUUU, well did you get soaked? :p

Did we bu66ery!:dead:

We were there in 2004 and sat in the Soak zone. Walked out dry as a bone. The first time we went to the show this trip we didn't take the camera 'cos we wanted to sit in the soak zone. Walked out dry as a bone again. The last time we went to the show (about the fourth time we saw it this trip) on our last day I took the camera and sat well away from the zone. Got a great photo of a huge group of folk being soaked through to the skin. And I mean absolutely drenched.

There's always 2008.:D

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 11:00 PM
Sorry to Hi-jack the thread, but Shamu died a few years ago:eek:. They kept that very quiet.:eek::eek: Still called the Shamu show though:eek::eek::eek:

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 11:32 PM
yeah i know shamu died, first time i was there (our family and another family went together) we all sat unknowingly in the soak zone, wondered why they were selling those overalls. Soaked right through :)

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 11:39 PM

yeah i know shamu died, first time i was there (our family and another family went together) we all sat unknowingly in the soak zone, wondered why they were selling those overalls. Soaked right through :)

PMSL:D:D. Did the wet seats not give you a clue?:D:D

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 11:42 PM
they were bone dry actually :) although wouldn't make any difference as i'd have ended up soaked anyway.

As the great einstein once said: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

AndyP & Lenore
18th June 2006, 11:48 PM
As the great einstein once said: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

:approve::D;)

Scottie
18th June 2006, 11:52 PM

sorry been out for the day.

The camera was bought from Jessops in Stirling it has a Jessops max Hi-Speed Compactflash tm 100x speed 512 mb memory card.

It also has a compactflash th card FC-32MH High speed car - not sure what this is though.

zimbo
19th June 2006, 01:38 AM
I've got pocket sized 6.3 mega pixel FUJI F10 camera and it's easy as anything to use Alan, so you should manage with that and picture quality is superb. :D

Gismo
19th June 2006, 03:43 AM
The camera was bought from Jessops in Stirling it has a Jessops max Hi-Speed Compactflash tm 100x speed 512 mb memory card.
Just needing a price Fi, what do you want for it ;)

Scottie
19th June 2006, 04:25 AM

Well I imagine your a chap who likes a good deal and I dare say you have checked out the prices on the internet so if you make me a offer I will either say yes or maybe try and squeeze a wee bit more out of you.:kiss:

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2006, 04:31 AM

Well I imagine your a chap who likes a good deal and I dare say you have checked out the prices on the internet so if you make me a offer I will either say yes or maybe try and squeeze a wee bit more out of you.:kiss:

I love it when your nice and specific.:D

Gismo
19th June 2006, 11:56 AM
£150 + need manual ;)
Fi, i honestly can't find any online quotes for this camera, so, let me know as i've made up my mind on what other camera i will go for ;)

Gismo
19th June 2006, 03:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon
I've always liked the Panasonic Lumix cameras, top quality lenses, image stablizer and 12X zoom.

http://www2.panasonic.com/static/models/dmc-fz5s.jpg

Not that cheap though :( But your paying for a top quality lens.
£241....

http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/xsearch.asp?RecId=PANCA293&pt=k

You're picture shows an FZ5 but the link goes to a FZ7, the 5 has obviously been replaced with the 7, funnily enough the 5 gets a better write up than the 7 :evil:

X30YES
19th June 2006, 04:26 PM
'funnily enough the 5 gets a better write up than the 7 '
Is that not the same with Metaxa ?:p:D:D

Scottie
19th June 2006, 05:41 PM

£150 + need manual ;)
Fi, i honestly can't find any online quotes for this camera, so, let me know as i've made up my mind on what other camera i will go for ;)

e-mail sent to the address you gave me.:D

Gismo
19th June 2006, 05:58 PM
e-mail sent to the address you gave me.:D
Cheers Fi :p

Gismo
19th June 2006, 07:29 PM
Decision made, went for a Sony Cybershot DSC H2 :cool:
Not exactly easy to use :I but you gotta learn sometime, intention is to get into photography in my time off :p
No sordid remarks please :evil:

The Bull
19th June 2006, 09:30 PM
Damn, you bought it before I replied. I was going to say that if you go for one of the Fuji ones that need AA batteries get the rechargeable 2500mah ones from Argos, they last forever. I've got the S5500 and it's a terrific camera even if it isn't "in your pocket"-able

Someone might find this useful.

Gismo
19th June 2006, 09:32 PM
Yep, i bought the rechargeable batteries at the same time ;)

euan
20th June 2006, 01:06 AM
Red eye - use Picassa (google it) - free photo software and has the best red-eye removal sw I´ve ever used.

minidriver#1
20th June 2006, 07:52 AM
Sony DSC-H1, 'nuff said.

Gismo
20th June 2006, 02:19 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit
Sony DSC-H1, 'nuff said.
Since i don't know anything much about cameras :I yet :p you'll need to advise what you mean ;)
I take it the H2 is the next model up or is it a replacement :question:

minidriver#1
20th June 2006, 06:15 PM
ah sorry. lol.

http://www.cameras.co.uk/camera-reviews/sony-dsc-h2.cfm

There are lots of reviews on the web, very few of em negative. I have the DSC-H1 model, the H2 model features the Carl Ziess lens. The H1 is a 5 megappixel camera but the lens is excellent.

http://www.dcviews.com/reviews/Sony-H1-Canon-S2/Sony-H1-Canon-S2-review.htm

Comparisson between the H1 and an equally competent camera.

It took me ages to choose a decent camera, at the end of the day its best to go look at the camera if possible and get a feel for it before buying and make sure that it meets your requirements. Nothing worse than buying a camera that does everything you don't need and the other way around.

If you are looking for an ultraportable camera its probably best not to go for an DSLR or something like the H1 which can be a little bit bulky. But in saying that i've found the image quality superb. I'll post links to photos that i took in India with that camera when i get home.

Also another outstanding camera is the Canon EOS 350D, its an entry level digital slr and is highly recommended in the design and photographic industry. It's the one i'm saving up for as an entry to digital photography. 579 quid tho, but you can get it cheaper on the web.

Gismo
20th June 2006, 07:40 PM
Ah, cheers KJ, i've already bought the H2 now, did look at the Canon that you are saving for, but what a price :eek: but then you get what you pay for ;)
For me, the H2 will be my entry level, main use will be to self teach photography etc

AndyP & Lenore
20th June 2006, 08:52 PM
quote:Originally posted by KJ_innit
Also another outstanding camera is the Canon EOS 350D, its an entry level digital slr and is highly recommended in the design and photographic industry. It's the one i'm saving up for as an entry to digital photography. 579 quid tho, but you can get it cheaper on the web.

:approve::approve:Love mine to bits.:D:D

Gismo
20th July 2006, 04:35 PM
Just back from me holidays, wow, the new cameras are certainly far better than the older generation :cool: well impressed with how easy it was to operate etc :p