PDA

View Full Version : Spotlights: Pros & Cons?

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 01:38 AM
Yet another "help me thread" :I

Loving the look of spotlights on minis, at first i didn't like it at all but it's really grown on me. Thinking about getting them on the mini, only two though not the four of them.

Im aware there was/is an issue with rust regarding certain parts and basically just wanted to know what to look out for (stone chips? electrical problems?) and ultimatly what ones to get.

If it makes any difference i have the aero kit black honeycomb grille not the chrome grille.

X30YES
18th June 2006, 03:07 AM
Wypac spots are much less than the BMW ones Better as well as they have a clear lense , they look just the same , also get S/S brackets ..ie the don't rust .
re aero kit , You will have to cut a slot to let the brackets through, nothing really, the brackets just slip between the slots on a normal grill
(both are on ebay )# 4650335725

The Dogfather
18th June 2006, 03:11 AM
I fitted and wired mine up myself, didn't have any real problems. The only scary bit is drilling into the bonnet :eek:

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 03:32 AM
cut the grill, drill the bonnet. WHAT!? :dead:

can't be doing that to my precious mini! :sleepy:

so theres no such "clip 'n go" spots then? :clown:

X30YES
18th June 2006, 04:22 AM
Its only a plastic grill and you only need to cut one slot , as for the drilling ...if you open the bonnet , look up ,you will see a small lip , thats where the brackets are fitted .outmotering do a bolt on type .however its US based and big bucks

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 04:24 AM
had a look on outmotoring earlier, are the clip on ones those the PIAA lights?

ahh if it those it says you need to hot wire it to the high beam or straight to the battery as it has a seperate switch, don't know if i fancy that :p Is it wipac's you have angus?

sedgie
18th June 2006, 04:42 AM
I huv just bought 4 spot fir my mini.....no fitted yet....<mutters>....hubby says get em fitted by bmw...will be done soon :evil: so will tell u wot they do after they fitted;)

X30YES
18th June 2006, 04:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by sedgie

I huv just bought 4 spot fir my mini.....no fitted yet....<mutters>....hubby says get em fitted by bmw...will be done soon :evil: so will tell u wot they do after they fitted;)
Yours will be different I would say ,ie brackets not the same and grill will also be different >?

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 04:51 AM
sedgie: as far i know, bmw have a policy of not fitting aftermarket products, although some people (naming no names but you know who you are :p) somehow manage to persuade them. Also they no longer support/fit 4 spots as they restrict the airflow too much?

X30YES
18th June 2006, 04:52 AM
Pi$h:p.oh and four blind other drivers as well :D:D

sedgie
18th June 2006, 04:54 AM
Well all i can say is.....bmw have said they will fit them!:p:cool:;)

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 04:55 AM
AHH another one! Why is it when i ask dealers to fit stuff for me they hit me with the policy response!

Theres something im not doing, grr :(

oh and angus im 99.99% sure it isn't Pi$h ;)

sedgie
18th June 2006, 04:57 AM
Depends on who u know@bmw;)

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 04:59 AM
ah, that would be no one at all then :(
gits :p

sedgie
18th June 2006, 05:01 AM
aww i'm sure they will do it....depends on dealer

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 05:02 AM
time to pester norman i think :D

if i was to get the dealer supplied and fitted lights will they still have the painted steel rather than stainless steel brackets?

Really can't be a***d with rust if i can help it

fireman01
18th June 2006, 05:19 AM
my lights were dealer fitted,but the chrome has started to rust a bit and the painted brackets aren't looking to good either:(

illegalhunter
18th June 2006, 07:52 AM
i would love them but they stinking dear from bmw like every thing else from bmw

X30YES
18th June 2006, 03:24 PM
You can still get the SS brackets and get them fitted instead ... its the dissimilar metals that are the problem , Steel, and chrome etc, they dont get on well together,as in a reaction ...rust starts