PDA

View Full Version : MCS got its first MOT

Marco77
18th June 2006, 12:30 AM
Well took the coop in for its first MOT today had it booked in for 8 so i could wait for it. only to be told the bad news by 9 that it failed on my private plate as the writing was smaller than normal. So a MOT that was supposed to cost £30 ended up costing £54:( isn't £24 a bit expensive for plates? Also i was told on another MINI forum that the BMW clear lights were MOT failures if there was no reflector fitted (which i have not as it came from the factory with the white lights) yet it passed for that.

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 12:36 AM
Who MOT'd it? (Don't have to name names) was it a dealer or a seperate MOT garage?

MOT stations overlook a lot of things sometimes (they are only human afterall :p), a colleague of mine had major problems with a bmw dealer mot'ing a vehicle as roadworthy for him then to buy it and find out a list of problems with it, most of which would fail an MOT (he mot preps vehicles at work).

I knew number plate fonts had to be specific fonts and sizes for them to pass, fortunatly my mot isn't due for another 2 years so hopefully mine will be fine :) As for the reflector im not sure that its required.

I don't think £24 is expensive although im sure ive seen them done cheaper elsewhere.

Craig
18th June 2006, 01:30 AM
your number plates are not really expensive. I have had some made up and with a few extras the price was £35 for the pair... :eek:;):approve:

as for the reflector, it depends what age the lights were, if the car is an 03, it should probably had the small reflectors fitted on the bumper as they did not have the relector built into the light and that is required for the MOT. (think you got away with that one...;))

Marco77
18th June 2006, 03:56 AM
got it done at dougie parks BMW

stoney
18th June 2006, 03:16 PM
plates are bad they faild mine for the same so i keep a spare set of plate in the car now as the police dont like them !!