PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Football Thread

The Dogfather
14th June 2006, 05:20 PM
Right, I thought I'd set this thread up for people wishing to discuss the football currently being played in the world cup. Please don't use this thread to post:-

1. Post complaining about commentators.
2. Negative press stories about fans (any country)

It's just about the football. Mods can you please help out with these rules I know it's off topic and banter.

The Dogfather
14th June 2006, 05:24 PM
First what teams have impressed and disappointed so far :question:

So far Italy, Argentina, Ivory Coast and the Cech Republic look good. Whilst England (2nd half), Brazil (fat Ronaldo) and France have looked way off the pace.

The Brazil match last night really showed how layed back the Brazilians can be they never really got out of second gear.

Gismo
14th June 2006, 05:29 PM
France were a big disappointment, they hardly threatened the Swiss defence, even knowing that the Swiss team are not too bad, but, if France have any expectations of winning the event altogether they will have to up their game.
The Aussies were a surprise to me, against Japan they just had the extra bit of will to win at the end
I'll try and regulate the thread as per your wishes :p

The Dogfather
14th June 2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks Alan. I thought the Aussies had blown it to be honest really didn't look like they'd do it, and Japan could and should have punished them on the break.

Can't way to see the Aussies play Brazil though, plenty of bookings in that game I bet. Looking forward to see how Spain get on today with the Liverpool players Alonso and Garcia expected to play from the start.

Player of the tournament so far - Pavel Nedved

Smitty
14th June 2006, 07:33 PM
Best looking team so far has been Argentina. Chechs looked good too, but Argentina were so comfortable agaisnt Ivory Coast, depsite the score not really showing that. Defence was a little dodgy but their attack made up for it. And thats all without Messi!

Brazil looked very poor, hopefully they will improve, just to spice things up a bit. And i though France were horendous, extremly poor and would be suprised to see any imporvement. Henry looked lazy and Zidane is well past it.

I'll pass no judgment on England until I see the Trinidad game but from the Paraguay game they do not look anywhere near good enough to beat the likes of Argentina, Chechs or Germany.

X30YES
14th June 2006, 07:53 PM
AU did it for me , and deserved to win v Japan ...they wont win it, but might go through ! ....'they had the extra will to win'. The non fancied teams might just shock a few of the big guns as well .Hope they do .

The Dogfather
14th June 2006, 08:45 PM
Its looking like it'll be a good tournament, some of the favourites not up to scratch and some 'unknowns' looking like they might just spring a surprise or two.

Burple
14th June 2006, 08:50 PM
I have to say something about Trinidad and Tobago (if only cos I have them in a sweepie!) I think if they play like they did in the last game, England are gonna have their hands full! Especially if they play the way they did against Paraguay!

I'm taking a liking to the way they play, and Ghana, who I think were really unlucky against Italy..

The Dogfather
14th June 2006, 09:01 PM
T&T certainly won't be a walk over as they'll be even more fired up for the England game. Although that could go against them and we might see them get a player sent off.

Agree with you about Ghana though, Essien had a great game but he's a very dirty player :(

Big Col
14th June 2006, 10:10 PM
Brazil didn't half look flat last night. They were clearly just going through the motions and I was really hoping that Croatia would get something from the game. What was wrong with Ronaldo??? He looked like he just couldn't be arsed!

The Dogfather
14th June 2006, 10:51 PM
Can't be arsed, and fat arsed! Shocking display.

Prso played really well for Croatia though!!!

The Dogfather
15th June 2006, 12:24 AM
Well Spain look pretty tasty 4-0, OK the linesman and the ref helped out with a few of the decisions.

Now if England can't do it, I wouldn't mind seeing Spain lift the cup seeing that there are so many Liverpool players in the squad :D

Burple
15th June 2006, 12:28 AM
I was sorta watching it - but managed to miss every goal! :mad::mad:

The joys of working in an IT dept - We've got it streaming live! ;):D:D
And I can watch it full screen at reasonably good quality! :cool::cool:

X30YES
15th June 2006, 12:50 AM
Yip ...4-0 win is a good result ,and they looked good side as well

Scottie
15th June 2006, 05:49 AM
Just watched the German/Poland game. Man did they derseve that in or what. They played really well IMO.

duncan
15th June 2006, 06:20 AM
Germany definately deserved the goal. Polond didnt offer anything in the second half.
When they hit the bar twice in 10 seconds, it didnt look like it was going to be there night.

Oh, and the USA to be ranked so highly, shows the FIFA rankings are just that. Rank.

Big Col
15th June 2006, 04:58 PM
Yeah I watched the Germany game. Like Duncan says I was sure it wasn't going to be their night after hitting the bar twice, although what the first guy (can't remember his name) was doing when the cross came in I'll never know. I guess he was ducking trying to let it pass him for the guy behind but the ball ended up hitting his neck! :eek:

Cannie bleive the USA are supposed to be the 5th best team in the world?!?!? How DOES that work?

The Dogfather
15th June 2006, 05:24 PM
I think the USA may have been higher rated for political reasons rather than real footballing ability. FIFA have been trying to get the game off the ground in the US for ages, perhaps they thought the higher ranking might make more Yanks watch the game.

The Dogfather
16th June 2006, 03:55 AM
Well we scraped through, the scoreline doesn't do T&T justice they built a solid wall in front of the goal and we looked short of ideas.

Still Peter Crouch is becoming a hero :D

euan
17th June 2006, 09:44 PM
One word, Argentina.

Was at the game yesterday, spent all night partying with argentina and scots fans. Absolutly mental.

They were awesome yesterday, nobody will beat them playing like that.

T&T fans are good fun, loads of Mexicans here as well. looking forward to seeing Spain again though.

Smitty
18th June 2006, 01:48 AM
I've said Argentina all the way and I think that performance just settles it!!

Can't see past them now!

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 01:51 AM
Scotland will beat argentina now that they have qualified!

Don't believe me have a look at these videos to prove it :)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7287248264457947784
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7186452373858353156
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6370939373185912440

Smitty
18th June 2006, 01:55 AM
Haha, ace videos!! They've cracked me up big time!:D:p:D

Sweeney
18th June 2006, 02:39 AM
Theres an official scotland team song too: http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/jasonscotland/scotlandsong.zip :D

sh@z
18th June 2006, 03:03 AM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Well we scraped through, the scoreline doesn't do T&T justice they built a solid wall in front of the goal and we looked short of ideas.

Still Peter Crouch is becoming a hero :D

His goal shoulda been disallowed! Leave the guys dreads alone... they aren't there for him to grab onto and jump higher, he's bloody 6ft 7 as it is.

Had the defender not have been held down by the hair by Crouch, he clearly would defended the cross as they have all game, and Crouch woulda fallen on his **** like he has throughout this tournament :p

The Dogfather
18th June 2006, 03:16 AM
Crouchino is a GOD! :D

And don't go thinking I'm biased because I support Liverpool, Gerrard pretty good as well ;)

sh@z
18th June 2006, 03:19 AM
Gerrard i think is AWESOME, English or not :p

Crouch... don't think so highly of.

The Dogfather
18th June 2006, 03:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by sh@z

Gerrard i think is AWESOME, English or not :p

Crouch... don't think so highly of.

That's because you not seen him in as many matches as I have, he's a great link-man very skillful. Trouble is the press have it in for him :(

Gismo
18th June 2006, 01:59 PM
VB, please stay on topic :p you've already strayed to the excessive English posts ;)
and you wanted this thread to be moderated :I

X30YES
18th June 2006, 04:03 PM
quote:Originally posted by Vidal Buffoon

Crouchino is a GOD! :D

And don't go thinking I'm biased because I support Liverpool, Gerrard pretty good as well ;)
Dork ...what away to carry on after kicking a wee ba in a net , how infantile and pathetic is that ..the others who do it are just as bad .and even copy iyt

Coop
18th June 2006, 11:08 PM
Keeping an eye on Japan v Croatia just now.......Dull doesn't quite cover it.

Ghana played well to beat Czech Rep last night, didn't really let them play. They are very dirty though.

Argentina were amazing against S & M though!

The Dogfather
19th June 2006, 01:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by X30YESDork ...what away to carry on after kicking a wee ba in a net , how infantile and pathetic is that ..the others who do it are just as bad .and even copy iyt
Angus what are you on about?

X30YES
19th June 2006, 02:16 AM
Still Peter Crouch is becoming a hero ...stupid dancing or what when he scores

The Dogfather
19th June 2006, 02:25 AM
He's only done dance twice in the warm up games, he didn't do it in the last match because the world cup was too serious a deal for messing about.

He's earned my respect because he's had so much stick from some of the fans and press yet he hasn't let it bother him.

euan
20th June 2006, 01:01 AM
France were woeful last night, they may struggle to qualify now.

Reckon Equador are pretty good.

As for England, Crouch plays a good role for them, holding the ball up well for Gerard & Lampard as well as whoever plays up with him. However, holding a player like that (and not just a player, the legend that is Brent Sancho!) Not happy with Crouch for that.

Still think England are massively dissapointing. If they play Equador I think they´ll struggle. All the England fans here agree.

Oh, and we#ve out sung every nationality. Taught the Argentoina fans to sing Scotland songs, and vice versa. Spent last night doing Samba dances with Brazil fans - brilliant!

Big Col
26th June 2006, 05:16 PM
That was a bit of a struggle for ol' England wasn't it? Was nice to see Becks sticking one up old Terry Butcher though after his "I'd drop 'im" statements. :D

X30YES
26th June 2006, 05:36 PM
18,000 women in Portugal while the guys are in Germany :D:D

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/ab2pcs/bandeira1.jpg
My other adopted team ;)

The Bull
26th June 2006, 06:16 PM
England should cruise past Portugal now considering they will be without Deco, Figo, Costinha and maybe Ronaldo. Brazil or Spain in the next round will be a proper team for them to play against.

I predict a Spain vs Argentina final. Spain winning. :D

The Dogfather
26th June 2006, 08:17 PM
The way England are playing I can't see them getting past Portugal, even a weakened Portugal!

Big Col
26th June 2006, 08:34 PM
How come they'll be without Figo?

The Dogfather
26th June 2006, 08:39 PM
Figo can play, he might have been banned following the headbutt!

Big Col
26th June 2006, 08:43 PM
Surely if he was going to be banned he's have to have had a red card?

The Bull
26th June 2006, 09:36 PM
Figo has been given the thumbs up so he's in.

X30YES
26th June 2006, 09:41 PM
Something about TV evidence might be used against him, for his attempted goat impersonation

The Bull
26th June 2006, 09:43 PM
Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/portugal/5116722.stm)

The Dogfather
26th June 2006, 09:53 PM
It looks at the moment the fact that the ref booked him means that they can't take any action. However, FIFA might change their minds whe they see what the ref has put in his report, all comes down to why Figo was booked, back chat or headbutt.

euan
26th June 2006, 10:07 PM
To be honest, that ref was shocking so no matter what he puts in it, it'll be the last one he'll ever do.

Ruined the game completely.