PDA

View Full Version : What's Vista?

AndyP & Lenore
14th June 2006, 03:24 AM
Just bought a fantastic new laptop for an absolute bargain price while on my hols in Florida. Got it from Best Buy.

One of the lables on the cover say's its Windows Vista Capable.:question::question::question:

I'm guessing this is the replacement for XP. Am I right or wrong (as usual):question:

Sweeney
14th June 2006, 03:29 AM
You are correct, in a way it's not a completely new OS but still a very major release/upgrade (a.k.a Windows Longhorn). It is still in the beta stages so it'll be loaded with bugs and problems, not worth using it at the minute.

Generally you are better waiting at least 6months after official release and distribution of new windows OS's for things to settle and some/most major issues and glitches to show themselves, then upgrade, personally i give it at least a year.

X30YES
14th June 2006, 04:06 AM
I bought from Best Buy as well when in Florida , good deal as well and almost $1.96 to the £ at the time ,here is a link to Vista http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.aspx

euan
14th June 2006, 05:09 AM
Vista looks nice, and from a man in the know (I'm mates with someone in the evil empire) it's actually not bad to use.

duncan
14th June 2006, 05:26 AM
I've got Beta 2, and from first appearances it looks nice.
Not too keen on the change of Icons for folders with Music held in them, but the Black Aero scheme is nice.

Better still, its free to download!

minidriver#1
14th June 2006, 05:45 AM
the beta is a free download, but unsupported.

duncan
14th June 2006, 05:48 AM
As its only a Beta;)

minidriver#1
14th June 2006, 06:08 AM
i was just saying incase people thought it was free completely. If they download it thinking its a free product something might go wrong and they'll be stuck because they dont get support with it. innit.

betas = free, unsupported = risky

duncan
14th June 2006, 06:12 AM
True, true. :)

The Instructions on the Vista site make it pretty clear that you shouldnt use it as an operating system for your main use, and that its not supported.

But then, when have things like instructions on websites ever meant anything to my Dad for example.:dead:

minidriver#1
14th June 2006, 06:13 AM
lol. i know exactly how you feel mate. my dad is the same.

euan
14th June 2006, 06:50 AM
Mine is the same!

Personally, if it wasn't for itunes, I'd be dumping Windows and running Linux at home.

AndyP & Lenore
14th June 2006, 07:20 PM
But even when it is released properly, with a fee attached, it will still be full of bugs. Only this time you'll have paid for them.:eek:

Smitty
14th June 2006, 07:37 PM
I haven;t downlaoded Vista, but i'm using a Vista skin on an XP Pro OS and I love the layout.:cool:

Vista is meant to have some very kool new features so look forward to that.

Is anyone using the new Beta version of Internet Expolorer? Think i'll download it when i get time, has tabbed panes, stoeln from Firefox i think!!;)

Burple
15th June 2006, 06:25 PM
quote:
Is anyone using the new Beta version of Internet Expolorer? Think i'll download it when i get time, has tabbed panes, stoeln from Firefox i think!!;)

Wash your mouth out young man!!

IE indeedy... :p:p

Smitty
15th June 2006, 06:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1

quote:

Wash your mouth out young man!!

IE indeedy... :p:p

Nowt wrong with IE!:D:D

I don't like Firefox, i like the tabbed panes but apart from that I find page loading time much longer, and features just ain't where i'm used to them!!!:blackeye:

So is anyone using the new Beta version then??

Smitty
17th June 2006, 06:23 AM
I finally Downloaded new IE Beta and i have to say.....

ITS GOOD

We'll just ignore the time it took to install and understand i didnt want to dial through a Modem due to a wireless connection and skip to the good bits

Really well layed out, everything you need in very hand places. Lovely drop down menu for favourites.
Tabbed panes are fantastic.....about time Microsoft!

All in all, well worth a download for IE fans! Download Here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.mspx)

The Dogfather
17th June 2006, 06:51 AM
I use Opera its better than both IE and Firefox :D