PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Media edition

X30YES
13th June 2006, 04:17 PM
New Dell pc ....question , resizing pictures ,on my Toshiba Laptop (win xp) it is possible to alter the j.peg size ,right click etc , with the new Dell Media edition this is not possible when you right click on the pic , anyone have this or know about it ?...coz I dont !!:(

Gismo
13th June 2006, 04:28 PM
Angus, i've not seen this version of windows, but, the wallpaper must be "set" as the background from somewhere, so, try this:-
1) Right click on the desktop and select properties
2) Select the desktop tab
3) See what background has been selected and note the name
4) Search for the name of the picture used and open it in an editing programme like paintshop pro or similar
5) Resize as required

You might have to set a different background so that the file isn't in use when you try to resize it etc

Just re read your post, looks like i may not be answering your question :I

Good luck :)

Burple
13th June 2006, 05:48 PM
If you just want to set a picture as your wallpaper, you should be able to right click on the image(when it's in Icon or thumbanil form)in a folder, then choose open with and choose 'wndows picture and fax viewr'. You should then be able to right click on it and set it as your desktop wallpaper...

You should also be able to do what BS says...
or if you're feeling particularly adventurous, open it with Microsoft Paint (right click the file, open with 'Paint') ;) Old Skool! Then resize it in there.

I've got a Dell in the house, and any Dell Media Software was 'put into retirement' when I got it ;);):D:D:D

Any help?

The Dogfather
13th June 2006, 05:55 PM
Angus - If its to resize logos you need a graphics package like Photoshop elements. Although if your emailing to a printing firm they should be albe to resize the image for you.

X30YES
13th June 2006, 06:18 PM
VB ,Its only to resize jpeg pics , on the laptop I can ,and on the Dell( media edition ) I cant ?..no option when you right click !!!

X30YES
13th June 2006, 06:26 PM
LnL, I can save as etc no problem ,wallpaper etc , its just when you right click on one machine it allows you to resize etc with one click , however on Dell Media Edition pc that I bought a few months ago ,that option is not there ....strange I know ,I can go the Old way and do it np .

X30YES
13th June 2006, 06:29 PM
'Just re read your post, looks like i may not be answering your question'
............nope :p ta anyway ...must be WME I guess ...off to L@@K now .

Gismo
13th June 2006, 07:54 PM
Are you opening the picture with a programme and right clicking the open image or simply right clicking the thumbnail or file :question:

euan
13th June 2006, 08:01 PM
Angus, I think what your talking about is a Windows Power Toy - I have it on my laptop.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

I use the Image resizer to do exactly what you say. I also use the sync toy to backup my digital photos to an external hard drive, works a treat.

X30YES
13th June 2006, 08:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

Are you opening the picture with a programme and right clicking the open image or simply right clicking the thumbnail or file :question:
Thumbnail or file .....right click, on the laptop ,option to resize etc....I do the same on the Dell ,no option to resize ,and have to into paint etc to do that .Just seems odd thats all

X30YES
13th June 2006, 09:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan

Angus, I think what your talking about is a Windows Power Toy - I have it on my laptop.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

I use the Image resizer to do exactly what you say. I also use the sync toy to backup my digital photos to an external hard drive, works a treat.
TY , will go and try it on the Dell....be back soon ;)

Gismo
13th June 2006, 09:02 PM
So i'm right then, you have a programme that provides the function you need that is not installed on the new Dell :evil::p:I:approve:
Ya f@nnie :I

X30YES
13th June 2006, 09:04 PM
Might be ...but would think that both XP versions would be the same ?...on Dell now ...soon

Burple
13th June 2006, 09:04 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

Thumbnail or file .....right click, on the laptop ,option to resize etc....I do the same on the Dell ,no option to resize ,and have to into paint etc to do that .Just seems odd thats all

It must be something more specific to that PC as Euan says. That's not a normal 'out of the box' option for XP...

Unless it's something on brand new machines... We don't allow anything that fancy for our poor students ;)
They don't even get to right click on the desktop! :eek:
Too many wannabe-hackers out there :evil:

Gismo
13th June 2006, 09:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
That's not a normal 'out of the box' option for XP...
For once you're actually right ;):p:D

X30YES
13th June 2006, 09:10 PM

So i'm right then, you have a programme that provides the function you need that is not installed on the new Dell :evil::p:I:approve:
Ya f@nnie :I
:eek::clown::I......oh dear ,seems to have worked, as you say
}!{

X30YES
13th June 2006, 09:12 PM
:I:I:I:I:I:I:I:I:I....OK open for all sorts of abuse now :p

Gismo
13th June 2006, 09:19 PM
Ya (_!_) :I:p

X30YES
13th June 2006, 09:21 PM
(_!_)at that :clown::I

euan
13th June 2006, 09:49 PM
I could make a killing giving advice like out for free :)

Glad it's sorted, just wait till Vista comes out - so many versions and every one has bits missing or added.

The Bull
13th June 2006, 10:01 PM
You can do it in Office 2003 as well if you had that. (The picture manager)

The Dogfather
13th June 2006, 10:02 PM

Damn, I missed it :evil::p

duncan
13th June 2006, 10:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by euan
just wait till Vista comes out

I've got it on Beta 2 version on a spare Hard Drive. :D
Looks nice so far.

X30YES
13th June 2006, 10:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by picklehammer

You can do it in Office 2003 as well if you had that. (The picture manager)
So you can :eek:

Burple
13th June 2006, 10:19 PM

quote:Originally posted by low_n_loud1
That's not a normal 'out of the box' option for XP...
For once you're actually right ;):p:D

:p:p:p:p:p:p