PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye To Commuting MINI

Smitty
13th June 2006, 07:00 AM
Well, for past three and a bit weeks I have been using the MINI to commute for Brechin to Portletham every day, which is a 60mile round trip.

Now I love the MINI but its not a car for commuting in!

The fuel economy isn't the best, i was averaging 35mpg (ish) and that was taking it extremely easy. Was probably spending around £35 a week on fuel, excluding other journeys. Might not sound a lot but i'm a poor student remember! Also, the ride isn't the smoothest on dual carriageways, and if i had to do anymore miles a day i feel i would begin to feel it on the back!:blackeye:

I also wasn't happy racking the miles up on it, as it now has 8000miles on the clock, and would have continued rising sharply, which would not have been good news when i come to buy it from mother in two years time....countdown is on!!:approve:

Anyway, my Dad bought a new car at the weekend (taking delivery on Saturday.......very VERY nice car;)!!) so I'm using his old car until end of summer, before it is sold. So i am now driving a Pug 306 Tdi in a lovely Blaze yellow!!:eek::p

Nice enough car, but not half as much fun as a MINI. But will be much better on fuel, and a smoother ride on the Dual....just not half the amount of fun round roundabouts though!!:p:D

Well, thats my story over, feel free to add if you want!:p

Crombers
13th June 2006, 07:17 AM
Just posted this on another thread & at 6'0 with sports suspension + with 25K on the clock at 2 years old I'm one of the few folk that think the MINI is a well comfy car to drive :approve:

lightbody
13th June 2006, 07:40 AM
I also think its comfy - thats what 10 years of driving classic Minis will do for you!

Its definitely not economical though...hopefully something they're sorting for the 2007 model...

stoney
13th June 2006, 07:48 AM
i lke the ride and i have done about 35k in 18 months but my last car was lowerd and stif as

AndyP & Lenore
14th June 2006, 03:31 AM
Our Cooper S with Sports Suspesion + with dunlop runflats is softer than our Cooper with SS+ on Pirelli runflats. Go figure:D;):blackeye::eek::question::question:

Edit: It's not an economical car though. Can't argue with you on that issue.:I

N12 JLK
14th June 2006, 04:00 AM
I drive a Toyota Avensis every day at work and over the past 2 and 3/4 years Ive clocked up over 100,000 miles in it and cant wait till the weekend to get in my MINI as the seats are superb and the handling is great.:D

Gismo
14th June 2006, 12:08 PM
Hmm, i often travelled montrose to the centre of Aberdeen with no problems other than the crap lights in the winter, sad to hear your giving up on it, but as it's also a long term investment i'll let you off ;)

Burple
14th June 2006, 06:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

I also think its comfy - thats what 10 years of driving classic Minis will do for you!

Its definitely not economical though...hopefully something they're sorting for the 2007 model...

What he says! ^ :D:D:D:D:D:D
Get a One then :p

I tried an experiment the other day, I tried chucking it into 5th doing 30 in a 30 mph limit... then switched the computer to instant mpg...

it shot up to 65Mpg!! :eek::D:D:D
In about a mile of driving, it hovered between 55-75 mpg in 5th ;):D:D And it even still had a little bit of poke left in it! :cool:

Smitty
14th June 2006, 07:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, love the MINI, fantastic handling, great fun etc!

Just dont like using it for commuting due to the crap MPG and racking up the miles on it, and its just a little bit too bumpy now and again, but i reckon i could put up with that!

I'll just leave it at home with mum now cuz she'll only do 50miles a week max.....that'll keep it nice and shiney and the fuel tank will be full when i come to use it at the weekend!!:D

Sheilz
17th June 2006, 07:19 PM
Think you're right Smitty to save your mileage. Mine is very high and no sign of it slowing down (61K in 22months). Although I dont get an essential car users allowance due to changes in council policy and have the right to refuse to use my car, I think that the practicalities of carrying out my job as well as silent disapproval from the bosses means that it would be hard for me to say no and begin using public transport. In terms of costs there would be no advantage in me using the family car though when Munro is offshore I suppose I could use it. Unfortunately I find the drive between clients more rewarding than my salary :(:( and cant stop myself jumping into the mini. I have recently been allocated new clients who are placed in the Glasgow and Edinburgh areas and I think I might just put those miles on the other car. Sometimes i get a bit annoyed at the the rate my mileage increases for the benefit of other people, esp when they're clocked up going about town so increasing wear and tear on the engine. I dont have any probs with the comfort of the seats. On the rare occasions I've had an ache its been my own fault for slouching. I find the sports seats better than the stadard. In fact that was one of the reasons I got rid of Hamish coz I almost always had a backache after longer journeys and didnt find them suitable when throwing the car round corners. Even the sports seats are not all that great in comparison to the ones in the type r. They're ace. I'm on the A90 almost on a daily basis and specy whizzes along at 69 without causing any discomfort. The only prob is those goddamn potholes but you soon learn when to change lanes to avoid them. I just got s spokes and runflats on mine. Think they're pirelli ones but have had dunlop and cant say that I noticed any difference though I might have forgotten.

Smitty
17th June 2006, 08:39 PM
Shielz.....61k in 22 months....thats heart breaking!:eek:

I no a car is to be used, but when it's a car you love that much you really don't want to see the miles being clocked up at large rate! As always, the older the car and the more miles on it, the more that will go wrong:blackeye::dead:

stoney
18th June 2006, 05:47 PM
that is true that is why i am changing mine as the miles are high so the new is is a weekend fun !!! it the astra van for the rest of the week for me !