PDA

View Full Version : Painted Brake Calipers

Smitty
13th June 2006, 06:51 AM
Considering painting them after seeing LnL's results

So what colour would go nicely with Electric Blue?

And what type of paint and where will i get it?

Cheers!!:)

Crombers
13th June 2006, 07:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

Considering painting them after seeing LnL's results

What colour has the wee brat ;) gone for , :( not my kinda mod imho

Gismo
13th June 2006, 12:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by crombers
What colour has the wee brat ;) gone for
A rather fetching gold colour, actually looks ok :cool:

Smitty, how about an electric blue colour ;)

Sweeney
13th June 2006, 03:40 PM
white?

bpirie1000
13th June 2006, 04:54 PM
RED Brembo style.

Or Black Subtle.....

got for Hammerite.

just make sure it is dry when you drive it after.

Burple
13th June 2006, 06:19 PM
quote:

What colour has the wee brat ;) gone for , :( not my kinda mod imho

<Boot!> :evil::evil:;);):D:D

Here (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8011&whichpage=2) they are :p

I used Hammerite, used it plenty of times before, and never had any problems with it, but as Brizee says, make sure it's dry before you scoot away! I got some silver too, to give the hubs a coat (behind the wheels centres), so they wouldn't look all manky and corroded. idn't have to do that on the last one, cos the 'S' lites were chunky enough to hide 'em.
Hammerite is also a LOT cheaper than proper brake paint, although you'll have to clean the calipers before painting. I gave 'em a squirt of wheel cleaner (like the autoglym stuff you have), and brush it in, then give it a rinse with wet sponge to get rid of the cleaner, and dabbed off the worst of the water with some kitchen roll. Helps them dry quicker so you can get started painting! :cool:
You'll get Hammerite in Halfrauds, Autosave, probably B&Q too.

I only went with the gold cos I thought it looked quite subtle and went well with the wheels and colour of the car. EB would look cool on yours tho! :cool: White will be a nightmare, especilly to get it on evenly, with no 'brake dust swirls' in the finish. A pain to keep it clean too! ;):p

Smitty
13th June 2006, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the advice folks!:)

I reckon I should go for an Electric Blue colour if i can get a close match, if not i'll go for a contrast with red.

Might also get some silver for the hubs, cuz yours do look very nice Ewan!!:D

I'll swing in by Homebase at lucntime and see what they have. If not....Halfrauds at the weekend!!

Neil and Lorna
14th June 2006, 01:40 AM
Hmmm Interesting reading.

So what colour would you paint the calipers on a Hyper Blue.:D
Trip to Halfrauds is in the planing me thinks. :)

Neil:D:D

ajamesj
14th June 2006, 05:43 AM
I have done mine red front and electric blue/red on the rear but need another coat all will be revealed and F+M show since I will not get time to recoat them until I come back off my holidays since workin till then. I used a 1 pack paint used for painting the body of cars I get it mixed at work but its availble only in 1/2ltr tins or bigger and u only use a small drop.

Andy

Gismo
14th June 2006, 12:09 PM
This is a wee job i'm gonna do when i get home :p

Burple
14th June 2006, 06:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Neil

Hmmm Interesting reading.

So what colour would you paint the calipers on a Hyper Blue.:D
Trip to Halfrauds is in the planing me thinks. :)

Neil:D:D

Hmmm...
Red might be ok with HB, since it will match with the red on the S logo and works badges... Or maybe a silver or black? Cos you've got works wheels, there'll be more of the caliper on show, so you need to decide if you want them to stand right out, or be subtle...
Might be as well having a trip there first (if it's close enough), to see what they've got. :cool:

Smitty
14th June 2006, 09:12 PM
This is the closet that Hammerite do:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/smooth_blue.gif

What you's think? Would it be that dark when applied.

Andy, your sayin you did your's Electric Blue, what paint does you use to get a colour match?

Burple
15th June 2006, 12:07 AM
It'll possibly be a little lighter if that's a metallic..
The gold has gone a wee bit lighter than the tin colour.

X30YES
15th June 2006, 01:07 AM
Do you have to use primer ?

zimbo
15th June 2006, 05:19 AM
I've done mine as well :D:p

Smitty
15th June 2006, 04:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by X30YES

No, Hammerite acts as a primer too, meaning you can apply it directly. Would probably need two coats though

Still not sure, I reckon it's a little bit too dark, i'll keep lookin around for a closer match.

Burple
15th June 2006, 06:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by Smitty

quote:Originally posted by X30YES

No, Hammerite acts as a primer too, meaning you can apply it directly. Would probably need two coats though

make sure you get as much of the brake dust off as you can before painting tho. Otherwise it can flake off!

Sweeney
15th June 2006, 09:07 PM
how long does it generally take to dry? Also do you need to remove the caliper from the disc to paint it?

Burple
15th June 2006, 10:32 PM
Hammerite says on the tin you should allow at least an hour for it to touch dry, obviously you won't be touching it an hour later ;)

I did mine still on the car, just use a brush that's about 1/2". There is a metal retaining pin holding the pads in, I tried to go round it last time an ended up making a mess, so this time it got a fine coating of gold ;):D. Don't put too much paint on here tho, as the pin will need to come out if you're ever changing your pads. Just be very careful and take your time when painting. that's about the best piece of advice I can give..
:cool:

Sweeney
15th June 2006, 11:22 PM
so basically; don't spill it over the brake disc :p and give the caliper an even coat? what about warranty wise, what would a dealer say if when in to get it serviced and they noticed it?

Also did you do only the visible side (ie. viewing through the alloy) or did you do both sides?

Burple
15th June 2006, 11:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

so basically; don't spill it over the brake disc :p and give the caliper an even coat? what about warranty wise, what would a dealer say if when in to get it serviced and they noticed it?

Also did you do only the visible side (ie. viewing through the alloy) or did you do both sides?

Dealers.. erm, pass. Previous car was in a couple getting stuff done, services, fixing after a big smash, where a wheel and some suspension was fixed, and they never noticed / said anything..

I've done about 2/3 to 3/4 of each caliper, really only the parts that can be seen through the wheels. The only parts not done are the bit round the back that you can't see round the hub, where there are bolts attaching things and wires. I tried that last time and was getting paint on everything and I had to sort that, so I left it this time.

Sweeney
16th June 2006, 02:01 AM
thanks for the info and advice, if i can't get a "garage" ;) to do it, i'll have a go myself

ajamesj
16th June 2006, 05:17 AM
I got car paint code and got paint mixed to correct colour then used it on my calipers done this on my previous cars and had no problems the blue and red match up well on my calipers but another coat is gettin applied after my holidays

Andy

Sweeney
16th June 2006, 05:18 AM
perdon my ignorance but isn't hammerite better to use than normal car paint? Won't car paint just flake off or something?

Gismo
16th June 2006, 11:49 AM
With regards to warranty, no BMW garage can have any complaint as you are not interfering with the working of the caliper or indeed installing non BMW parts.
One thing that is likely to happen though, is, when you're brake pads require changing the mechanic won't be careful with the calipers and some of the paint will be removed :evil:

So, when i go to do mine i'll probably change the pads anyway, plus, i will remove the calipers to do the painting to ensure a 100 per cent coverage :cool:

Burple
16th June 2006, 06:15 PM
quote:

So, when i go to do mine i'll probably change the pads anyway, plus, i will remove the calipers to do the painting to ensure a 100 per cent coverage :cool:

That's what I would have preferred to do, but I don't really have the equipment at my flat :( Or enough time to get em all off the car like that. I've made sure that all the surfaces visible when the wheels are on are covered, and gone round the back of most of the bits of the calipers..

Smitty
16th June 2006, 06:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by ajamesj

I got car paint code and got paint mixed to correct colour then used it on my calipers done this on my previous cars and had no problems the blue and red match up well on my calipers but another coat is gettin applied after my holidays

Andy

Where did you get that from? Direct from BMW?

ajamesj
19th June 2006, 04:14 AM
Got it through my work

Andy

Sweeney
19th June 2006, 04:17 AM
what would you suggest i get? hammerite or car code paint?

Smitty
19th June 2006, 06:13 AM
We'll the paint is bought!:)

Got Hammerite, red for the calipars and silver for the hubs. Might get it done one night this week depending on weather, if not it'll be the weekend.

I'll post the pics once its done to convince others to do it!!:p:D

Scottie
19th June 2006, 06:38 AM
quote:Originally posted by Sweeney

what would you suggest i get? hammerite or car code paint?

Sweeney I suggest you just go to a body shop and get them done.:cool:

that's what I did.:D