PDA

View Full Version : Stonechips and Chrome Bits

Smitty
13th June 2006, 06:47 AM
Well it was my first time at properly polishing a car for myself (helped Father plenty of times!) and this is the result....Clean MINI (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/snitzforums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8089)

So all you buffmiesters, i need a bit of comment and advice!!

1. I used mainly Autoglym products....good or should i go for Megs in future?

2. Stone chips......theres quite a few, whats the best thing for them? A chip stick? And if so, where from?

3. What should i use to polish up the chrome bits, especially the boot handle as it has lots of little scratches on it.

4. Finally, i used the Autoglym polish, is this enough protection or should i use a wax aswell, if so, what kind?

Any advice would be lovely!!:D

Crombers
13th June 2006, 07:32 AM
WUL !

ianking
13th June 2006, 04:41 PM
It looks good but i would use megs tyre shine stuff as its much easier. You could wash your wheels right after doing the car and it would save getting the bodywork wet after you polished it.
Autoglym stuff is quite good I think. If you want to really go for it then you can put extra gloss protection on after a super resin polish but it takes ages to set and its hard work to get it back off.

Burple
13th June 2006, 06:30 PM
Autoglym is good stuff, but I definitely prefer Megs now after using it! It's much easier to polish off! (and the whole range smells like sweeities!! :cool:). I got a pack with some stuff in it, NXT shampoo, window cleaner and NXT tech-wax.

DON'T use chrome or metal polish on the boot handle (or any other chrome bits) as they're chromed plastic, and you'll wear thru the chrome very quickly! I just give it an extra blast of NXT :D.

I'd try a clay bar before the next time you polish too :cool::cool::cool: What a difference!! :D:D

Wul
13th June 2006, 07:19 PM
Smitty - to answer the queries missed by the others:

Stone chips - your dealer will be able to supply you a colour matched t/u pen - but apply with the tip of a cocktail stick and build up in layers to avoid a horrible blob on paint!

Autoglym products are good - no need to change till you are running low - definately need a wax/sealant to top off the SRP though - my recommendation is Meguairs #16 mirror glaze or you could stick to AG extra gloss protection.

:)

Plastic Chrome - I use my sonus cleanser or megs clear coat body scrub on it to good effect.

Smitty
13th June 2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeh, the AG was really good, i'll just wait till its finished, buy Megs next time, and see how it compares.

I do like the idea of the Clay bar, depending on price i'll maybe purchase that at the weeknd or some AG extra gloss protection, as suggested by Wul......cheers mate;)

I'll phone JC's at the weekend and see what price they can offer me a chipstick at. Halfords can make one up for £7.50 if i give them the colour code.

The Bull
13th June 2006, 09:13 PM
I had bad experiences with AG EGP. I found it made my paint to hard and brittle. I had a 6 month old car that was so badly stone chipped it looked about 6 years old. The dealer decided to respray it after carring out paint tests. I got it back, tried the AG EGP a few months later (thinking that the EGP had nothing to do with it)and the same thing happened.

I could be wrong and it may have been crap paint that was being used but it was a bit weird that the chipping happened just after I used EGP.