PDA

View Full Version : FOOTBALL QUESTION

john
10th June 2006, 06:29 AM
As most of you know,I know feck-all about footie:D

What I want to know is,at the Oliympics Great Britain is represented by Athlete's from throughout the UK,BUT in the World Cup this is not the case,why don't we have a British football team???:question:

duncan
10th June 2006, 06:54 AM
Football is run in the UK by the SFA, FA, FA of Wales and the IFA.

Each Association runs its own leagues, and are affiliated seperatly to FIFA [Fédération Internationale de Football Association], and UEFA [Union of European Football Associations]

For the 2012 Olympics, the British Olympic Association wants a combined football team to enter.
To do so, the individual Associations would have to come to some agreement.
The SFAs position is one of non-cooperation with a British Football team. One of the reasons being that UEFA/FIFA would like to see the amalgamation of the 4 UK bodies into one, and to enter a competition as one, would set a precident.

Plus, going by the British Lions Rugby team Woodward chose from a year or so ago, it would be all English players who would get a game.

minidriver#1
10th June 2006, 07:17 AM
to supplement duncans helpful post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_football_team makes good reading.

X30YES
10th June 2006, 04:14 PM
True John,and this has been talked about for years ,and even so, more inrecent years as other countries would take the place of the other three, not only Natioanal but in the Euro cups etc as well in all competions Its all to do with money at the end of the day ...so would the teams that will the Leagues have to play off for a place in the cups? I dont think so as most 'bigger' countries have 4 teams playing already .Not that it bothers me one bit one way or another really ,but where would the games be played ...guess where ,and more money going into the pockets of others .
On the lions ...that was just shocking and down right arse farse:p