PDA

View Full Version : Lexus RX 400 H Test Drive

Neil and Lorna
9th June 2006, 06:48 PM
Had an 2 day test drive in one of these.

Here's my findings.

I've owned a RX 300 SE-L since September 04.

The acceleration in the 400 is just mind blowing. You put the foot down and all the electric motors kick in with the 3.3L petrol. You are simply pushed back in your seat like you do in a CooperS. Absolutely fantastic.
Unfortunately that's were the fun ends.I found the suspension far to soft enter a corner at speed and the body rolls and the tyres start to drift.:eek: The steering is just weird I think its all electronic steering, I just didn't like the way there seamed to be a bit of delay.:eek:
It is extremely quiet at low speeds with just the electric motors running to the extent that I almost ran people over who didn't hear it coming.:eek::eek:
I also found the engine very noisy at high revs. Which is shocking for a Lexus.:eek:Also the MPG wasn't any better than the 300.

In comparison to the 300 SE-L with its adjustable air suspension the 400 just doesn't have the same driving dynamics other than the acceleration. Put the 300 into the low suspension setting switch over to the sequential gears its a great car to drive.:D:D

In closing I'm kinda glad I had the car for a couple of days it made our minds up that we don't want the 400 so we've saved ourselves a whole stack of money when we change.:D:D:D

Neil and Lorna :D:D

The Dogfather
9th June 2006, 07:17 PM
If only toyota had built the hybrid with a diesel engine rather than a petrol, I'm sure the fuel economy figures would have been much better :(

AndyP & Lenore
10th June 2006, 01:02 PM
Got two words for ya bro. . .

:D